Tax Return

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by jeffery85, 10th Sep, 2012.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jeffery85

jeffery85 Active Member

Hi Everyone,

I am very confused and have a few ideas and have read some articles that tell me too do different things with my tax return:

Pay off the credit card: a credit card with 12% interest that i have fully maxed out. (this would in-pact on my cash-flow positively approx 250 per month in payments) but i am concerned i may use it as a clutch in the future.

Buy shares: Buy some blue chip shares set them too dividend re-invest and let them compound. (the share market is undervalued and will go back up long term). (probably buy the banks they are not going anywhere). I feel this may also reinforce my investment mindset.

Renovate: Replace the flooring in an investment property and put the rent up $10pw, (no guarantee).

What would you do????

Thanks Heaps

Jeffery

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Pay off the credit card. No other action will provide the returns that this will offer.

12% return after tax guaranteed? Yes, thank you!

If you are concerned about your credit card debt blowing out again in the future - ditch the credit card. Get a debit card instead. That way you're only ever spending money you already have. If you can't afford not to have a credit card - try spending less.

Don't bother investing anywhere else until you have your personal debt under control. This is non-productive debt (also known as "bad debt"), and will suck the life out of your finances and prevent you from getting ahead.

3. fathappycows

fathappycows Member

Well said, Sim.
    Can't argue with that.

4. Waimate01

Waimate01 Well-Known Member

+1

(Or, because "+1" is less than 10 characters, "Plus One")

5. jeffery85

jeffery85 Active Member

thanks heaps

Thanks for this, this is what i have done and now using it more productively with the offset account with the interest free periods hopping it turns out too be a good strategy.