Tax on gifts

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by hash_investor, 15th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

For the tax gurus here I have a rather simple question. I have got a friend looking to purchase their PPOR in Sydney and they have got a large deposit sitting in the bank which they got by selling their home overseas. This is a substantial sum earning interest at the moment while they decide where to buy.

I suggested them to put it on the wife's name in a savings account to avoid getting taxed since she is not working which they liked but were not sure how to handle the transaction from a tax perspective. It will certainly show a large amount in the wife's account suddenly and may raise eyebrows in ATO. Do they declare that in their tax return? Is that something to be even worried about? I told them its a gift to the spouse which is not taxed but I am also not sure how to show this transaction on the tax return.

2. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

A transfer of cash from husband to wife is not taxable income and does not form part of an income tax return.

I know some people who properly employ their spouse - but that is a different matter.

3. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

yes agree someone like @Terry_w will chip in as he is the resident lawyer but it will be important to prepare some form of gifting resolution so it is not considered to be a loan of some type in the event of any action being taken against you personally.

Paul@PAS likes this.
  4. hash_investor

what? what kind of action can be taken against me?

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Terry_w

Think of the legal consequences, especially in regards to
    - death
    - incapacity
    - bankruptcy
    - divorce

Of either of you. In most cases there will be no issues, but what if you die tomorrow. Is it a loan or a gift? There are very important estate planning consequences that flow because it it was a loan it will come back to you and pass out via your will. If a gift then not. What if the spouse dies - if a gift it would flow through her will or intestacy laws. What if you both die in an accident?

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The other issue is of course the comment : I have got a friend looking to purchase their PPOR in Sydney and they have got a large deposit sitting in the bank which they got by selling their home overseas

If the person was a tax resident at the time the foreign property sold there could be a tax issue in Australia. The interest that is being earned offshore would also be taxable income in Australia.

The key issue is one for Austrack to consider not the ATO. Inward and outward transfers of funds can attract Austrack enquiries to determine the nature of the proceeds. The documentation of a gift or just "family savings" may assist that. Austrack want to ensure that the nature of the funds is not business income, laundered crime or terrorism proceeds and other forms of money that could have a tax issue. Doesnt seem to...But if you disclosed sale of a property offshore it could result in more questions from the ATO later.

8. hash_investor

Not something they discussed with me but thanks for bring this up anyway.

Thanks

9. Terry_w

Austrac - nothing to fear from them unless you are doing something dodgy. I used to be one of the top users of the Austrac system when I was in the AFP.

10. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

Agreed why would anyone be concerned with Austrac unless you are doing something wrong.

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Agree. But some do get asked to explain things that they cant explain. The only concern is if you cant explain it. Sale of offshore property...woops didnt declare the CGT sale. Shared income from import export trades not in tax and so on.

Doesnt affect legit issues like spouse gifts, family transfers, inheritance, sale of past home etc