Tax deductablility- selling some shares to pay for reno

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by WallyB66, 5th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WallyB66

WallyB66 Well-Known Member

Hi

I have a question I hope you may assist with

I set up a margin loan to purchase some shares ~ 7 years ago and sold some last year to pay for personal house renovations. I did not pay down the loan at all however I only sold some shares and the dollar value of the shares I have remaining have always been much more than the margin loan amount. My accountant thinks i should have paid down some of the margin loan to an amount of at least the cost base of the shares I sold however I would have expected the purpose of the original loan has not changed it is still for the shares 100% and therefore the margin loan should be fully deductible

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Wally

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Phantom likes this.
  3. WallyB66

Thanks for the reply Terry- appreciated. I understand if I sold all the shares then the loan is not deductible if I use the $$ for personal use. I basically had a 200k margin loan to buy 200k of shares. These shares then increased in value to ~400k. I sold 100k worth. So currently I have 300k of shares and 200k loan ie I sold dollar value of less that the capital growth of the shares. Hope this makes sense?

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Nope, doesn't make sense from either a logical or tax point of view.

You may have purchased 200,000 x $1 shares. each share you borrowed $1 for. If you sell that particular share that loan of $1 no longer relates to that share.

5. WallyB66

OK- many thanks Terry. Appreciate your time,

Wal

Terry_w likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Exception : You buy $100K of shares. Sell them years later and realise $50K. The remaining $50K loan may still be deductible. This assumes the proceeds are used to paydown the existing loan to $50K. If it isn't paid down you end up with a tainted loan and all of it may pose a concern.

Greyghost likes this.