Tax cuts to be brought forward?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Waterboy, 25th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Waterboy

Waterboy Well-Known Member

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...st-banks-urge-government-20191106-p537w4.html

I wish!

I'm contributing extra to my super and claim the deduction to the last dollar.

It will give me the maximum benefit of this deduction in case the tax cuts are brought forward!

2. sumterrence

sumterrence Well-Known Member

3. Waterboy

Here you go:

Call to hasten tax cuts as nation faces years of low rates

www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/call-to-hasten-tax-cuts-as-nation-faces-years-of-low-rates-20200622-p55500.html

Published 22 June 2020 at 7.45 pm

4. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Rub my grubby hands together.
    Pretty please!

5. Waterboy

fingers crossed:

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...economy-out-of-recession-20200708-p55a70.html

from today's paper

6. lifecompetitor

lifecompetitor Well-Known Member

And here I was thinking back in March....good bye future tax cuts! I was getting ready for another temporary budget repair levy.

I fully expect that will still be the case longer term but any relief in the short term is a bonus.

7. Waterboy

Here you go...wait for the budget!

8. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this a supply-oriented response to a demand-driven problem?

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I'm not sure I follow? What is the supply and what is the demand in your analogy?

I think you mean the supply of cash into the economy (which is what tax cuts will increase) ? But what is the demand?

10. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

There was a demand problem even before COVID hit, but why let reality stand in the way of ideology. Superior economic managers. :rolleyes:

11. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Essentially I'm confused about how income tax cuts will address a demand problem driven by mass unemployment. Shouldn't the government invest that money in infrastructure and emerging industries to stimulate demand?

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Yes, but that can take time (years, sometimes even decades) to bring real stimulus to the economy - you don't start a massive infrastructure project overnight. It's a good long term strategy and I believe both state and federal governments have flagged their intention to invest more in infrastructure.

However, we also need a short term boost for the economy - keeping liquidity - keeping cash flowing through it. The more disposable income people have, they more they are likely to spend - so tax cuts are something immediate that the government can introduce to get people more cash in their pockets.

The more money people spend, the more jobs there will be created (especially in hospitality and retail) - so the idea is that over time, keeping people spending will help create jobs in other parts of the economy that don't directly benefit from infrastructure spending.

Whether that will actually work and is a sound strategy, I'll leave up to the economists to debate.

craigc likes this.
  13. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

Whenever I hear economists talking about needing to "boost demand" (Keynesian economists usually), I always have to chuckle.

It always reminds me a a quip that Peter Schiff says, which is something like, "As anyone who has been shopping with my wife can tell you, there is never ever a shortage of desire or demand. There are only ever shortages of supply".

I agree with Peter Schiff. We don't need to boost demand - demand is nearly infinite. We need to remove the restrictions on people being productive. This is where wealth comes from.

I welcome the tax cuts though, but it is upside down thinking from Mr Evans, sadly all too common in our current economic conversation.

14. John_BridgeToBricks

BTW inflation is a tax. And there is loads of inflation.....

15. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

At a stroke, that would remove half the agents and RE people on this forum :D:D:D

John_BridgeToBricks likes this.
  16. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

On one hand Frydenberg is talking about the huge financial debt Australia is accruing and its impact for many years to come and then on the other, offering the prospect of tax cuts. I'm listening to mixed messages from the Govt.

Are 'across the board' tax cuts really what is required at this time or can the money be better used elsewhere?

17. John_BridgeToBricks

Money always get spent, it just depends on when, and by whom. Private sector spending is always more rational because it is based on economic not political considerations. The private sector also saves, which is necessary in a free market system. So tax cuts are almost always the right thing to do because it pushes that decision making to the private sector.

Last edited: 27th Jul, 2020
  18. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

Informative Government ad outlining how their economic plan wIll work for you:

shorty and LibGS like this.
  19. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

It gets spent, but if it's on a Japanese car, Chinese TV, sub-continent clothing etc, my annual cruise with a foreign-owned cruise company, we've put ourselves into debt for the betterment of the world economy. Very noble but not very sensible.

marty998, MTR and ollidrac nosaj like this.
  20. John_BridgeToBricks

... and the betterment of that consumer, who presumably knows best. Right?

Also sends an economic signal to the competitors to offer a different product or price.