Tax considerations renting PPOR on AirBNB/Stayz etc

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by WellnessWarrior, 8th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WellnessWarrior

WellnessWarrior Member

Hi,
    We are looking at a new PPOR and the property currently produces around $50,000 p.a when rented for some weekends throughout the year. What factors do I need to consider that are advantageous or disadvantagous in regards to my PPOR also producing an income.... We would have a loan against this property. Does part of that become claimable?

TIA :)

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I think I wrote a tax tip on this a few weeks ago. Have a look under the tax section.

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

It wouldn't be a principal place of residence if its rented. It would either be fully or partially exempt depending on the % of the property subject to ABnB. The interest and other ownership outgoings deductible to the % it produces income.

Land tax issue
    Income tax issue
    CGT issue

Airbnb is just a different way of managing tenancies. Doesn't change any deductions as such v's other ways of managing rental (ie agent etc). It may actually give support for the available for rent issue.

I have some clients who choose ABnb for the higher yield but the trade off is higher expenses for cleaning, linen, consumable items etc.