Tassie house is cold. Real Estate is requiring action

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Savy mum, 27th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Savy mum

Savy mum Well-Known Member

I have an IP property in Tassie. There is a heat pump that heats the living area, but doesn't extend to the hallway or bedrooms at the back of the house. Two of the bedrooms now have mould on the ceiling due to cold weather/ ventilation etc.
    The real estate is asking for us to either put in another heat pump or a panel heater.
    I'm assuming it's not the average panel heater from Kmart that she means.
    Thoughts please

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you want to keep tenants I’d say you’ll need to add heating in the bedrooms. Can you do reverse cycle split systems or is it too cold for that?

3. Savy mum

I have an IP property in Tassie. There is a heat pump that heats the living area, but doesn't extend to the hallway or bedrooms at the back of the house. Two of the bedrooms now have mould on the ceiling due to cold weather/ ventilation etc.The real estate is asking for us to either put in another heat pump or a panel heater
    I'm assuming it's not the average panel heater from Kmart that she means.
    Call me naive but I really have no idea how cold Tasmania gets in winter
    Are there any other options. Thoughts?

4. Savy mum

Absolutely. I just hope there's a cheaper option than a heat pump. Ill ask RE about an air con for another option. Thankyou

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

6. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Would you live in that house as it is? Dont expect any tenants to live in a house you wouldn't. Give them their heating ... :eek:

Gladys likes this.
  7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I don't know about TAS, but by this time next year, the updated tenancy act will be in place requiring appropriate heating in the living areas of the house.

8. Savy mum

Wow! I'm only asking for options. Maybe something that I haven't already thought of as I can't afford to put in another heat pump. I didn't mention anything about not doing anything about it, I'm trying here

craigc and Joynz like this.
  9. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Cold ...

Often Zero or below .

If there's mold in ceilings , you might also need to get the roof checked

Cliff

10. Patrico1966

Patrico1966 Well-Known Member

Yes, getting cold down here and I have similar problems with my Mums unit which I manage. Bathroom is getting ceiling mold maybe caused by the tenant not having the fan on etc but I will fix it. One bedroom is very cold due to being in the shade most of the day in winter, I cant stop that and I wont be putting a heat pump in it (called reverse cycle in WA). The tenant can buy a bar heater, it is only for 3/4 months. Our own house has a room like that so my wife uses a bar heater when she is working in it. But.....if the tenant plays up then put a panel heater in....:) Always look after a good tenant.

11. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

What is your budget? Knowing that might help us give suggestions on what to install. I think we are all in agreement that you do need to install 'something'.

Other then that, ring around some of the heating places that supply in the region and ask them about what the options are, install costs, etc. Many will do payment plans, if upfront costs are too much for you to manage straight away.

I have never had installed a heat pump heating system, so I have no idea of what those costs are.
    Here in Canberra I have had ducted gas systems installed in two properties. That is not cheap. But really in freezing temps, a good heating system is life. (Literally given people can and do die from hypothermia every year in their own homes). We did have decent wall gas heaters in prior to that, which were much cheaper installs and adequate, but not to the same standard as ducted.
    Up in Queensland we opted to simply install reverse cycle split systems, as that was more then enough for the climate.

The mould is a big concern, make sure there are no errant leaks anywhere. In my experience, mould does not just occur because of cold, there also needs to be moisture coming from somewhere.

12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If your tenants are already cold, they are hardly going to open a window in winter to ventilate the bathroom after a hot shower.

Maybe install an exhaust fan attached to the light switch so that when the light is on, the fan runs.

Should help.
    Marg

13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Panel heaters aren’t necessarily expensive. They generally come with the choice to have on wheels or attach to the wall. I have Noirot which are quite expensive ($400) in my own house, but there are lots of cheaper brands like Rinnai for around $250 or Aldi versions for much less. Noirot has a lifetime replacement warranty (which I have used).

May be able to use an existing power point too. Check the installation requirements.

In Melbourne, I don’t provide bedroom heaters - the tenants have to provide their own, but in the living areas, they have heaters.

I believe a ‘heat pump’ is the same as reverse cycle air conditioning.

14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

15. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I don't live where it is cold. I would contact a local heating company.

Cheap heating can be expensive to run.

16. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

For colder areas where temps get to 0 and below split systems ( heat pumps) become quite ineffective.
    The cheapest option long term would be a reasonably sized panal heater and are generally mounted onto the wall and hard wired in .
    Bunnings even stock then and most big electrical retailers and online shops . You can get top of the range like Nobu and some really basic types..
    Buying one at the end of winter or early spring can save a lot of money especially on the higher end models.
    The better ones are pre programmable and can be set to go on and off at least twice a day and set daily , weekly,mon- fri and sat-sun etc, say from 5-8am and 5- 9 pm although it might be over the top for a rental , but are great for heating first up in the morning when its 0c outside.

Electrical bar heaters are dowright dangerous and a serious fire hazard especially with children .
    For colder areas there is always a spike in house fires ,especially from dangerous types of heaters in winter and smoke detectors are a must .
    Also look at the outside walls of the rooms , having ivy or creepers growing up the exterior of the walls is a great way to bring in moisture.
    Also consider getting an exhaust fan that is wired directly into the lighting , many bathroom lighting systems now come with heat lamps.

Last edited: 27th Jun, 2019
  17. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Buy a noirot. Once off pain, although less than ac, but they are pretty efficient and heat very well. Radiant heat is much better than convection.

18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Noirot heaters are convection heaters!

19. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Hehe well they're advertised as such but no fan.

"natural convection" is just radiant heat having a convection effect on the surrounding air.

20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

My Noirot heats by sucking in cold air through the bottom of the heater, passing it over the heating element by natural convection, after which it comes out the top as hot air. It is not powered by a fan, but there is a convection at work.

Convection heater - Wikipedia

I always think of radiant heaters as the ones with glowing red elements which ‘heat the person not the room!.

shorty likes this.