TAS Tasmania

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 1st Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Tassie ? Is that the place where it's legal to marry your …..

Cliff

legallyblonde likes this.
  2. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Only in some parts ;)

But you could do well in some of those areas (if you don't mind the risk)..... one was named on RPData's top 10 yielding areas in Australia.

3. See Change

Hi Mac

Which one was that ? If it was Hobart , east coast , launnie , or a bigger centre on the north would be worth checking out .

Queenstown ? There was publicity a few years ago about someone who made their fortune in Queenstown , so any things possible .

The problem is when I look at top yielding places ( I haven't looked at the specific list your commenting ) is there's usually a catch . ( though I still do look at them and do some basic DD ) A year or so ago , units in caboulture were in a list of high yielding properties , but the devil was in the detail .

High gross yields with high costs and a niche market that would probably underperform cap growth so a no go .

Cliff

4. Chris Au

Looking again at the list - Property Value - Australian property buyers and sellers

there was a mix of suburb and regional (mining or ex-mining) places. Lower socio-ecomonic, but I could entertain a look at Ravenswood on RE.com.au (I say with vague memories of 'don't go there' from the SS threads).

5. See Change

Ravenswood is on my list of no go suburbs along with Gagebrook and Trashmont . Locally known as Ravo ( have checked it out on the ground in the past , were shown a house in the good side and assured there were no problems on that side , prior to our appt we'd driven around the good side and found a burnt out property just around the corner .... not a good indicator )

Tassie Bogans are an interesting breed and featured heavily in Bogan hunters .

They quote 7.5 % return for Ravo , but we've been able to get better returns in much nicer areas of good regional places

Cliff

6. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Seriously though... Two large subdivisions have been approved (or about to be approved) in Kingston... Over 500houses all up! I don't like the supply and demand there at the moment!

WattleIdo likes this.
  7. legallyblonde

I would assume the vacancy risk is high every where on the NW side. QUOTE="See Change, post: 143070, member: 174"]Hi Mac

Which one was that ? If it was Hobart , east coast , launnie , or a bigger centre on the north would be worth checking out .

Queenstown ? There was publicity a few years ago about someone who made their fortune in Queenstown , so any things possible .

The problem is when I look at top yielding places ( I haven't looked at the specific list your commenting ) is there's usually a catch . ( though I still do look at them and do some basic DD ) A year or so ago , units in caboulture were in a list of high yielding properties , but the devil was in the detail .

High gross yields with high costs and a niche market that would probably underperform cap growth so a no go .

Cliff[/QUOTE]

8. jim1964

jim1964 1941

I have heard this.I would think existing homes on the market will take a bit of a fall trying to compete.Good for the cash buyer.

9. Chris Au

How do the new blocks/homes go in terms of land size, access to amenities etc? These things can usually keep the existing properties going.

10. legallyblonde

I believe they are mixed sizes between 400-800 from memory... So all houses...

The council is yet to act on the 'old school site' development. This site is rumoured to be a number of different things, currently proposed as mixed use for commercial and residential I believe.

Kingo is well equipped for the growth though IMO, no shortage of facilities.. Although the medicare/centrelink office is closing in March which is a pain!

11. jim1964

jim1964 1941

tasy.jpg

12. See Change

Page 51 of the Dec HWT month in review makes interesting reading from a tassie perspective . Sounds like Tasmania is getting its act together row changing economy .

Cliff

Sackie likes this.
  13. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Thanks Cliff, I'll check out the report when I have a sec. Happy Australia Day folks :)

14. Perky29

Perky29 Well-Known Member

Was down there last week in Launceston.
    Very dry at the moment , they need some rain.

Rental vacancies are on the improve. Agents advising prices are moving up and days on market are moving down..

On a side note. Anyone looking to go there , make sure you have an overnight stay and go the see the fairy penguins at Low Head. Absolutely worth the $20 charge , great experience for all ages!!
    David

15. Chris Au

Yes, I heard that there isn't enough water in the hydro dams and they are restricting the farmers' irrigation amounts to allow the hydro to keep operating. I caught the end of a radio segment that said something about a pipe from Melbourne being broken so they couldn't import water from Vic (I may be totally off the track with this comment)??

It's great about the Fairy Penguins at Low Head for an experience - always great for the kids!

16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

penguins - I wasn't aware of this tour. I have just booked now, we will be there next week. I expect dinner at the beach will also be a nice experience :)

17. legallyblonde

@Ripehouse.com.au

Did you have any thoughts on supply/demand in Kingston? I was also wondering what your thoughts on Firthside area... I like the area due to the proximity to CBD (when I lived there it was literally ten minutes to CBD or Uni! But there still seems to be a bit of a stigma!

:)

18. Jacob Field

Jacob Field Well-Known Member

Kingston is and has been a focus of public/private spend for at least the last 5 years. The sheer volume of facilities and development in the area has beaten through any stigma that once existed.

All improvements in amenities and facilities has to be offset by the supply side risks that are coming into the market in the next 1-3 years. Almost 700 lots are slated for sale and development in the short term through two large land releases.

On the ground we are starting to see a lot of "mainland" interest (in addition to very strong local interest) in the West Hobart, New Town, Moonah/West Moonah corridor. Following the key public transport access route into the CBD. You are also seeing excellent gentrification drivers currently in parts of New Town and especially in Moonah.

Recent research internally @Ripehouse.com.au is seeing the City of Hobart and the above suburbs sitting very nicely in short term growth outlooks when compared to the nation at large.

19. See Change

I'm always intrigued by those boat houses in cornelian bay . If I was living in Hobart , it would be a definite on the list of things to have ( assuming I didn have a waterfront property )

Cliff

20. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

The penguins also come in at Bicheno in to the carpark around the seafood shop - careful not to run the buggers over!