TAS Tasmania

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 1st Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Helen W

Helen W Member

All along the Tamar is lovely, wineries to visit if you are into that. The Western Tiers and forests are spectacular. Stanley is also amazing where the green meadows roll down to the sand, so lush.

I don't think learning Portuguese is on the cards for me so Brazil is not on my to do list.

2. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

In other news... I have broken the ice on my house hunting journey for IP2.. I made my first offer today (since buying IP1).

I am looking in the Channel (south of Hobart).. But there has been a lot of talk about Moonah recently.. It is getting a really foodie reputation as is just past the more glamorous New Town... I might have to start looking out that way because I am not familiar with the Northern suburbs.

Helen W and larrylarry like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Helen W - I just can't find the right property at Ben Lomond, I haven't discounted Tassie at all but Hotham, Buller, Threadbare seem to get a little more attention.

4. Helen W

Helen W Member

@Helen W - I just can't find the right property at Ben Lomond, I haven't discounted Tassie at all but Hotham, Buller, Threadbare seem to get a little more attention.
    Keep trying....not much skiing in Tassie last time I looked. What a shame for you :)

legallyblonde likes this.
  5. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

I must return to Tas and see the west side. Spunds beautiful; rruggard remote, and hopefully not loads of noisey tourists!

6. legallyblonde

I am a terrible commuter.. I am not really a fan of being car bound for extended periods of time... I have to admit that I haven't even been to the West Coast!! I haven't been past Burnie.. =P

7. legallyblonde

Anyway... On a serious note I now own two houses in Tassie! 4.4km apart.. I do have the south covered ;)

Where are you buying @Helen W ?

WattleIdo and LibGS like this.
  8. Helen W

Helen W Member

Congrats! Excellent to have places near each other, convenient! My plan also.

Have an offer on a place in West Launceston (for IP) crossing fingers as it is 8% gross yield at - our offer :), for ourselves it will be Deviot/Robigana/Kayena we can take our time with that to find exactly what we want of course.

Been to the west Strahan etc it's rugged all right, nice to see once but wouldn't want to live there as the saying goes.

legallyblonde likes this.
  9. legallyblonde

The northern suburbs of Hobart offer similar yield, especially in the Bridgewater and Gagebrook areas.... I am not willing to look to look that far (hehe 26 minutes) north of Hobart because those areas have their own separate communities... So gentrification is not on the cards!

In the Channel the usual yields are about 5%... My next place (once I have saved a deposit) will be in the sub 300 price bracket, so hopefully I will get 6%. I am hoping to save 50k in the next 12 months to facilitate that purchase, fingers crossed overtime gets approved!

10. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

I would like to hear ppl's opinions on these 4 Hobart suburbs.

New Town
    Moonah
    Lutana
    glenorchy

thanks

11. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

12. Vultures

Vultures Well-Known Member

13. legallyblonde

New Town is the new North Hobart: Very trendy. Great facilities.
    Moonah: Tipped to become the next New Town: Foodies are moving in
    Lutana: Google 'Nyrstar Hobart'.... It is a HUGE turn off.. There is the reason why there are very affordable properties right near the CBD. There is also a reason you don't eat fish out of the Derwent!
    Glenorchy.... Still very lower class.. Lots of houses in need of maintenance.. .But some pockets would be better than others...It might come good in the long run...I don't mind going to the shops around there (lots of facilities) but people more delicate than myself would get pretty scared prety quick but the unsavoury types that hang out there... The hardest thing is seeing all the terrible parents and knowing that the kids have little hope..

On a happier note.. West Hobart is a hugely trending suburb and has been for a while now... Walking distance to CBD... Food district in North Hobart...

mcarthur, R377 and HappyCamper like this.
  14. Jacob Field

Jacob Field Well-Known Member

I am a Tassie local - we have just got back to our 2010 peak and the recovery has been lead by the mid to upper of the market. As mentioned in that 5km of the CBD. I second the sentiments around West Hobart which is showing consistent and strong buy signals (sales volume growth, DOM decreasing and rent per week strong with lower vacancies).

For me its West Hobart, then New Town (strictly the city end), then parts of Lenah Valley that border or are close to New Town, then Moonah at a stretch.

If you are looking for a yield play I wouldn't consider the lower socio areas out towards Glenorchy - instead focusing on the corridors where population growth is occurring and infrastructure is improving - Kingston and further out towards Margate, snug etc or Claredon Vale/Rokeby etc around the new subdivisions and development.

mcarthur likes this.
  15. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Hi RP .

Curious as to what return you'd be getting in Kingston . I know some one ? HTW was pointing it out as somewhere for high returns , and it may well be there are individual places that give high returns , but as a suburb , on median returns it's not at a level that would attract me .

We've had good results with cheaper suburbs in the past , so I was wondering what your reason for not liking Glenorchy is , in terms of somewhere to buy for yield .

BTW , I do know Gagebrook is somewhere not to buy . Along with (Tr)ashmont In Wagga , I don't think I've ever seen a positive comment about it on the forum .

We do have a property which we bought in New Town in 2003 ( bought with a tip from the chat room from ruby and goanna , thanks again guys ) and I have looked at Hobart recently but in terms of finding a yield that was attractive , nothing's jumped out , so we're still looking in Brisbane for a couple more .

BTW , do you think you could set up a thread explaining the logic behind your software and what it does ( assuming that's with in the acceptable guidelines as a business member ) ? Feel free to quote me at the start .

Cliff

HappyCamper likes this.
  16. Jacob Field

Jacob Field Well-Known Member

Cliff - re. Kingston look to the southern pockets for higher yields of over 6%. There are also pockets between the McDonalds and the main highway to Hounville where 5.5% yields are the average and these are also the pockets where population demand is focused. This is for 3-4 bedder houses, unit yields are higher than this but then you are dealing with the edges of the market in terms of demand and growth potential. I guess the yields are not jaw dropping but I would personally consider this to be the primary population and infrastructure region in the state so these yields can make it work.

Glenorchy and surrounds - low PP and high yields are the norm, which is fine - but I see no population or employment drivers. Public and private spend has been focused away from this area and I see no reason why that will not continue to be the case. Local government and policy doesn't stand out to me either.

Moonah - As previously mentioned I am seeing some gentrification occurring here and broadening appeal.

Jacob

ps. I will put a thread together and refer :)

Cia and See Change like this.
  17. radson

radson Well-Known Member

We are more likely than unlikely in the first half of this year to purchase an IP in Hobart.

We are very aware of the low population growth and potential for low CG.

On the flip side, as we are already invested in brisbane, we like the different economy of tassie, 10 years of little growth, super low vacancies, attractive yields and an economy that can only be boosted by the lower AUD. Also consider it as a defensive asset as the income/house price ratio is lowest in the country and thus less likely to fall than other more exuberant cities. Looking at suburbs adjacent to the CBD.

C-mac, WattleIdo, Vultures and 5 others like this.
  18. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

I'm in a very similar boat. I'm in Brisbane now, and am looking at Hobart. Worried about the CG a little, but also keen to diversify a little for exactly the same reasons.

Hou$e and radson like this.
  19. jim1964

jim1964 1941

This is around where we will end up.

20. legallyblonde

Bugger off all of you! Especially from between Kingston and Snug!!! Tassie isn't big enough for all of us ;) Go back to making fun of Tassie ;)

Bozley and jim1964 like this.