TAS Tasmania

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 1st Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jacob Field

Jacob Field Well-Known Member

Our research and data is only pointing to a very particular slice of Hobart with strong market fundamentals linked to future growth - look to Moonah, Glenorchy into Claremont for these current conditions.

This is mid to low socio heartland so there is only about 10-15% of each suburb that qualifies in our platform/research.

The mid to upper market has already become quiet heated, so it is this $250k (6.5% Yielding) type 3-bedder property that is looking the best bet. Currently this type of property is not hard to source, and at low $200's purchase price forking out for a BA may be overkill.

We just released this information today around Tasmania - Tasmania’s rise as an investor heartland | The Frontier Investor

flyhere and mcarthur like this.
  2. Whiteman

Whiteman Well-Known Member

Thanks Ripehouse .... great update on the situation in Tassie

3. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

There is an upper end in Claremont?

I jest... I like the places in the cadbury estate.

4. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

(dare I ask/raise it?) I'm wondering what the election outcome will have on Tassie market with all lower house seats now Labor in Tassie. Labor wins - ok, Coalition win - mmmm.... Of course, independent senators in Tassie could help.

@legallyblonde , there's lots of upper end places in Claremont - up into the hills!

legallyblonde likes this.
  5. Jacob Field

Jacob Field Well-Known Member

@Mac Fields To be perfectly frank the government at a state or federal level should take no responsibility for any growth upside currently occurring. It is down to Tassie being cheap (vs mainland) rental/tenant strength (high yield and rent growth) and private spending (justified by gentrification and tourism).

Based on this if feel the federal election will have minimal results on the state - except of course if Wilkie grabs another $1b of federal funding as an independent ;-)

Lol re Claremont @legallyblonde - just to probably correct myself, the upper end is heavy biased towards O/O demand - therefore rental demand and yields may be patchy. We are seeing 3 bedders mid level housing away from public housing demonstrating great growth fundamentals - generally on the top side of the main road, 500m from the water.

Claremont/Glenorchy are in our current month research report (Tassie has been featured since Jan/Feb) - but for a similar price point if feel far stronger growth in the Geelong area. As a Tassie local that is my National opinion.

legallyblonde and RedMarty like this.
  6. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

@Ripehouse.com.au Absolutely agree that no government should take responsibility for the growth currently occurring in Tas. :)

You also hit the nail on the head when you said that if Wilkie grabs more federal funding, then there could be upsides - whenever there is significant funding coming into an area confidence, employment, population etc grows, growing housing demand and prices. Federal gov funding is just as good as any other funding sources, but this depends on who's in, who's out and who has the balance of power.

Jacob Field likes this.
  7. RedMarty

RedMarty Well-Known Member

I like the noise coming from Glenorchy city council. They seem to be proactive in developing a vibrant culture and on the back of good growth in Hobart, I'll be excited too see your next report @Ripehouse.com.au

8. radson

radson Well-Known Member

@RedMarty

So Rob secured us a property last week after I guess a 5 month search. We were picky and Rob came up with a lot of suggestions. We almost pounced 2 months ago but the property was snatched up as soon as came on market. The property we just bought was on market I suspect 24 hours. Rob emailed us the link to the property and funnily enough we got an email alert on REA.com about 3 days later.

We were ready this time around and Rob went in and got the deal before anyone else had time to think. Went in with a strong deposit and short settlement and got the deal we wanted. Rob has also done much of the paperwork and helped us with the conveyancer and organised the building inspector for us.

Throughout the 5 months Rob has had great communication and patience and I would certainly recommend him to other prospective purchasers of Tasmanian property.

RedMarty likes this.
  9. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Hi Radson

Short version of what you bought and where ?

Cliff

legallyblonde likes this.
  10. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Nice on @radson and congrats on the purchase! Would love to hear updates of where/how you invested and tenant experiences forthcoming.

11. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

How much do you think the dollar turning has helped?

12. RedMarty

RedMarty Well-Known Member

Great Stuff @radson

We are still deciding which state (and LGA) we should invest in as we are torn between TAS and SA. I've had a chat with Rob and he has been very forthcoming. Like @C-mac said, would be happy to hear your story down the track! :)

13. radson

radson Well-Known Member

3 bdr, 1bathroom, 2 car space house in Sandy Bay, built in 2006.

splatters, C-mac and legallyblonde like this.
  14. Justme-

Justme- Active Member

Rob is the only licensed BA in TAS.

15. Pipeclay

Pipeclay Active Member

I feel there may be micro markets that could perform in the longer term in Tassie. Areas where there is limited stock and with economic demographic shifts in the upward direction. I am a local down in Hobart but have all my IPs on the mainland. I would however consider buying for capital growth in only a few suburbs.

Certain parts of Bellerive (bluff area), near the water in Geilston Bay, Lauderdale, Rose Bay, Mount Stuart, certain areas in North Hobart.

I hope this helps

Cheers

16. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

I just looked up rental for Risdon and there were no results, anyone know why? Its probably the first suburb with a 0% vacancy :0

17. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Too many enjoying Her Majesty's pleasure - never a vacancy in Risdon...:p

18. rambotrader

rambotrader Well-Known Member

Do you have a link to Rob?

19. radson

radson Well-Known Member

20. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Have been stuff all houses built in Hobart in the last 20 years
    Whilst its an investor paradise right now be very careful about what areas you buy in.
    Make sure they are geographically tight. Your rental return in a place like risdon vale will be famous for a couple of years but the developers will come!
    Your much safer on the other side of the river or in suburbs as Pipeclay suggested above - (my exception would be Lauderdale, good spot but developers could ruin your rental yield quite easily )