TAS Tasmania

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 1st Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

i would say the majority of threads are about NSW QLD and Victoria.

Hardly any mention of Tasmania .
    Do we have many Tassy investors ?

To be honest I have never been there, I would really love to someday though.

Cia likes this.
  2. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

It is lonely down here! =) Fingers crossed I will not be a local for much longer!

3. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Off there on Monday will be packing some warm clothes looking at the forecast. Not looking at buying down there tho will check out the market Smithton maybe?

4. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Love Tasmania!

The foolish, emotional, and romantic side of me (it does exist... buried deep down somewhere under layers of property investment business steel..) Would love to hold residential property in parts of Tasmania.

But then the cold, logical, and business side of me slaps the romantic side in the head and says 'there are better places to park your investor $$$ right now. Go buy a weekender in tassie one day when you are rich enough from the spoils of those other, better, places to invest)

Lols aside - I did three weeks there and scoped out the major cities, townships, and tourism-regionals. Plenty of exciting yield opportunities but if long term capital growth is your aim, much of the Island State is the wrong place to look.

The exceptions to the rule might be the inner Hobart affluent suburbs (for CG). Pure yield (with flat/zero CG outlook), is another story however.

adrian_christian likes this.
  5. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

It is the best holiday destination I've ever been to. Naturally beautiful, rich in history and fantastic food. Been twice and can't wait to go again to try the east coast next time.

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Jan, 2016
    Musicbemyfriend likes this.
  6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I will be there from 10-16 august with family. Should I bring my cheque book?

7. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

If there is not enough action to mitigate the more serious effects of climate change, there will be a big surge in the population in decades to come. Could be a good place to look at.

Serveman and Musicbemyfriend like this.
  8. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Houses in bernie with epic views of the ocean close to shops for couple hundred grand..

I have my doubts about long term cg there..

Like others would be lovely to put aside investment mind and buy a getaway property there for a few weeks of the year..

9. legallyblonde

I agree that CG suburbs are very limited, the wealth here is limited to a very small radius around the CBD. All the high yield suburbs near Hobart (up to 10% possible) are areas I would never invest in.. Soo much work... Bridgewater and Gagebrook can have very high yields... But sooo many of the properties are boarded up or have fire damage. They are suburbs that you are best to lock your car doors as you drive past.

Personally, I am located south of the CBD. A photo of my IP is attached... This is a pre-reno photo. That arch is now squared and kitchen replaced... I found a tenant mid renos and it clearly escaped me to take lots of new photos!

Potential holiday makers: Port Arthur Ghost Tour is awesome, Bruny Island has spectacular scenery/food scene (oysters, cheese, fudge, smoked meats), Frogmore winery has spectacular dining, Battery Point has lovely architecture (and a terrible ghost tour), Tahune Airwalk is lovely (although perhaps less so now that they are logging there) and hastings caves is always fun.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: 27th Jan, 2016
    Sam Yue, blackrocky and WattleIdo like this.
  10. legallyblonde

Burnie is a lovely little settlement.. It is very affordable, but the prospects are less than limited IMO. Working people are leaving Tassie in droves, it is hurting the smaller townships far more than Hobart... Without looking up stats the number of welfare recipients in the North/NorthWest would be extremely high (even for Tas). However, all irrelevant if you are looking for a super cheap holiday home.

11. legallyblonde

WattleIdo likes this.
  12. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Bring a sweater at least!

larrylarry likes this.
  13. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

What are your thoughts on Cygnet?

Cia likes this.
  14. larrylarry

Yeah. Heard it's really cold and I think we're good.

15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Cygnet is lovely. I would expect it has increased since Pig Farm became famous. The hills would protect a bit from the south westerlies.

16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

My ideal home - waterfront, glasshouse and big shed for Mr Angel. We came within a smidgeon of purchasing in Dover the DAY of the GFC - hubby chickened out. As long as the glass walls block out the south westerlies, what a view! We are going to Tassie again in February.

Gibson and legallyblonde like this.
  17. larrylarry

My wife planned the trip. We'll be in Hobart. Should start looking at the area.

18. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

It's my favourite state. I've been there about a dozen times and had a friend who moved there - and then moved back. I really like it, but it does feel like the bottm of the world.
    I bought a little block of flats outside of Burnie years ago when lots of investors were looking at Tassie - I just followed the crowd. I sold it 18 months later for twice what I paid for it. But that was pure luck.
    Scott

WattleIdo, Kangaroo and Gibson like this.
  19. legallyblonde

I agree with Angel... It is a lovely area... Check out the Cygnet Folk Festival.. If that is something you are interested in you will fit right in. ;)

733 likes this.
  20. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

I loved Cygnet when I was ther, the vibe of the town was great. But I was a bit perplexed by some of the high prices, that caught me by surprise.