QLD Tamborine Mountain

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Tim86, 10th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I have a mate at work that lives at Mount Tamborine, he is always saying how dead the market is there.

With Brisbane & potentially the gold coast(?) heating up, will it eventually stretch out as far as Tamborine Mountain?

If it really is so dead and has the potential to share in some of the growth that surrounding areas are seeing, would it be worthwhile for people to consider the area?

Or because it's more of a tourist spot would the property market dynamics work a bit differently...still making it not quiet a viable prospect?

2. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

Its so dead no one knows where it is :D

Tom Rivera and Gingin like this.
  3. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

lol apparently.

First pic is a view of the goldcoast from mount tamborine, so that will give you a bit of an idea where it is.

Such a nice place. Lots of rainforest walks and waterfalls.

main_1.jpg 7067133-Tamborine_Mountain_Mount_Tamborine.jpg waterfall-rainforest-bushwalking.jpg

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

HI Tim.
    I have thought the same things myself. We have a friend who lives there and it has an unusual economy. It is full of owner occupiers, mostly retired or self employed. Pretty much everyone has their own income stream as there isn't really much work up there - only casual touristy stuff. Did I say casual work? if that. It is a very long commute from there to any employment hubs. So I personally wouldn't be looking for tenants anywhere in that general area, same as I would say for Yarrabilba at the base of the mountain, which is being spruiked in other parts of Australia. But really - where is the employment?

I personally believe that as a private residence it has "potential" for growth in the next boom. But what would I know? Nothing in SEQLD has performed in the last five years like previous booms.

Tim86 and Tom Rivera like this.
  5. Darlinghurst Boy

Must say it looks very very nice and doesnt seem that far from the Gold Coast either?

6. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Anyone in SEQ knows where it is, its probably more a lifestyle and tourist location or one for retirees IMO. Beautiful location but it would be a bit of a commute for most to either the CG or BN.

7. Breeamy

Breeamy Member

I just spent 2+ years at the GC and looked in the hinterland for most thus time myself for PPOR, but end decision it was it was just too far, the road is not the best and very windy, makes the trip longer even though it doesn't seem far. The vacancy rates are quite low but there is not many rentals compared to the coast, because most pple don't want the commute. I'm undecided on how the area will go though.......there is not much work at the GC in general (one reason why we left), most people I met there were out of work/looking/not working enough hours, a lot of pple move there but without a massive turn around in the job situation I don't think there would be a Sydney type boom unless a heap of international investors jump on before/after cwth games to drive the prices up, but still I don't think that would flow through to the hinterland too much.

Last edited: 11th Aug, 2015
    Tim86 likes this.
  8. Darlinghurst Boy

I remember the early 90's they had Real Estate Salesman on every corner on the Gold Coast trying to sell you apartments or timeshares.
    A lot if people I knew bought back then.
    Im not sure how the GC has fared over the last 20 years.

9. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Plenty of those salesman still there flogging units. Don't know about timeshare, dodgy travel clubs/offers seem to be all the rage currently.

10. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Mount Tamborine ..... climate change led boom? 5 degrees cooler than Brisbane on most days in Summer.

11. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Shut it Tim! If people start talking about Tamborine the prices will go up and they'll start developing it.... I need to retire up there!

Realistically, the commute kills it. Too hard to work full-time and live up there.

Lifeinonemotion and Tim86 like this.
  12. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

I have a client who owns in Canungra (same place).
    There is some land sub div going on there.
    Primary growth driver is tree change. So for me it will just be a slow trickle short medium term for growth

13. boganfromlogan

who is tim?

14. boganfromlogan

Canungra is a seriously different place from Tamborine Mountain, the biggest thing about Tamborine Mountain is the cooler climate brought about mostly by elevation. Do NOT move to Canungra expecting the same, Canungra is just a quaint little town with the Jungle Warfare Centre near by .................... it is sea level. Nothing like Tamborine Mountain (only 500m elevation but 4-5 degrees cooler.)

Observer and Tom Rivera like this.
  15. boganfromlogan

The commute to Tamborine Mountain used to be 52 minutes to Milton, 53 minutes home (extra time going up). Until someone built a bloody great carpark and called it the M1.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  16. Troy McCLure

Troy McCLure New Member

Hahaha.. exactly where I go when it gets hot in town. Love it up there. You can actually watch the temp drop as you drive up the mountain.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  17. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

@Tim86 I assume.

The Y-man

Tim86 likes this.
  18. The Y-man

Earlier this year....went there at the suggestion of @Player :)

The Y-man P1050048.JPG P1050073 (2).JPG P1050155 (3).JPG

Player likes this.
  19. The Y-man

If the Chinese caught onto this treasure in the mountains...... :eek: (it was just to the side of the main Curtis Falls track on a fallen log) P1050112 (2).JPG

The Y-man

20. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Can the Chinese develop and harvest a National Park?