Taking a loan when unsure about future income

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by JSam, 18th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JSam

JSam Member

I have a question about taking a loan as a business owner when future income has some level of uncertainty.

My sole source of income is an online business that is 9 years old, and for the past 6 years has profited between $150k-250k, it is fairly stable but not growing. I typically take a dividend of $120k-175k each year and leave some profit in the company.

While the business is relatively stable, I see some risks involved in it as new competitors enter the space, and it could decline over the next 5 years. Not to zero but below it's current level.

I am looking at investing in property for the first time, but unsure how should I factor possible reduced income in the future. Is there a standard way to approach this? Do lenders consider this when deciding on borrowing power?

Thanks if you can assist!

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

how would you pay the loan on reduced income?

Lenders will look at the past 2 years income and want to know if you expect any changes. If you think the income will drop and tell them they might want to base servicing on a lower income which will affect max loan size.

JSam likes this.
  3. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

No and No
    However, you don't have to borrow the maximum amount you can afford, you could find out what your maximum borrowing is and then take 20 - 30% off that figure? Or you could work it backwards, for example, figure out how much $ per month you would be comfortable paying on your estimated reduced future income and apply for a loan amount based on that.

JSam likes this.
  4. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

If you do feel there is a chance that your income will reduce then you would be using whatever time you have to pay down the repayments so your investment can at least be neutrally geared. Thus your investment will not be a burden to you.

5. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Don't forget, there are buffers built in to borrowing capacity calculations as well.

6. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

If it's an investment property then rent and tax deductions via the government will typically cover 2/3. If you focus on building up a decent buffer in offset you will be sweet.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You never know. More players in that market may mean opportunity for a offer that makes it viable to walk away.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia