Takeaways for 2018 Property Market

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by MTR, 8th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Made no secrets that I like Steve McKnight.... here's his latest take on the property market

(extract... Volcano)

1. The possibility of financial loss is increasing, and that means investment risk is increasing too. Now is not the time for wild, or super speculative, property investing.

2. Debt is getting harder to get. In my case, even though it is a little more expensive than the headline interest rates being advertised, I’m happy to hang on to an existing debt facility that was written under more favourable conditions than what might be offered today.

3. Spring is coming, and with it, the peak time to sell. If supply increases without demand picking up, expect prices to fall.

4. A little price slippage isn’t panic stations. Property prices would have to fall by more than 10 to 15% off their peaks to get me nervous, and we are a long way away from that just yet. Still, if a price fall of that magnitude would cause financial heartburn for you, then maybe you should consider cutting your losses so you can live to fight another day. Don’t assume you will get today’s price tomorrow, in a soft or down market.

5. Better and better deals are coming on the market, but vendors are still hoping for more or less top dollar. Presently it is development and renovation opportunities that have become more prolific, but often these are still being marketed at inflated prices by vendors. Be patient.

albanga, Big Daddy, charttv and 3 others like this.
  2. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

This is a great one! As I've been selling down a couple over the last 8 months, I've been transferring the loans onto other fully owned properties (security substitute).
    Better to be fully offset than pay off loans then having to reborrow on the next purchase.

Steve is a genius btw.

JacM and MTR like this.
  3. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

So he's saying sell now. Or ride it down by 15 percent

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Dont think its panic stations, but I guess mitigate risk as property sliding, no one knows how much it will drop

5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, very clever

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

My Takeaways for 2018 Property Market

Some amazing deals in OZ are just around the corner for those cashed up with low lvrs. Especially add value deals.

Exciting times ahead.

PaulB, Whitecat and charttv like this.
  7. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

He seems to indicate 15 percent possibly

8. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Tip 3 is an absolute beauty!
    Market is correcting and people are waiting for Spring in the hope the warm weather will drive back up prices. I’m expecting a lot more stock to hit the market in a few months and if demand isn’t there then people will start to do silly things.

Me personally I’m looking to Pick a few horses in September/October and just wait out to see what sits in the market until late December. Coming into Christmas and stock becoming stale means opportune buying time.
    I still maintain the market (Melbourne is my focus) has a good 10-15% correction in it but as long as these rates remain low and with Big4s now dropping rates as low as mid tiers then I don’t imagine the bottom is as far away as I first expected.

I don’t forecast much if Any organic growth for a few years though so unless your strategy is manufactured growth I would personally remain on the sidelines.

Time to find me a lemon to start making some lemonade.

9. Trailblazer

Trailblazer Well-Known Member

Can you expand more location-wise and property type?

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Sydney - older semi market inner east. Add value. Some unit markets close to East.

I'm sure there are other deals around and more so in 2019.

Also some.good buys in Brisbane middle ring for medium term hold. Add value .

MTR likes this.
  11. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

12. gty12

gty12 Well-Known Member

When I saw the title of your thread the 'Takeaways' made me think of food, so I can add another Takeaway is that kebab shops are no longer frowned upon in 2018 & modern versions are popping up in posher suburbs of Melbourne driven probably by the rise of HSPs.