Take builder along ??

Discussion in 'Development' started by mkbonline, 11th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mkbonline

mkbonline Well-Known Member

I am considering buying old properties with potential development opportunities- like duplex and townhouses. I know the basics about development but not an expert by any means.

Should I add a builder as part of my team (already got mortgage broker and accountant)?

I am thinking of someone who has experience and can be trusted and use his /her advise before making a big purchase.

I am Sydney based (hills district). Any recommendations for a builder who will be open to work in this arrangement? (Come for inspection and then get contract to build)

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Building a team is a great idea, and it works.
    Educating yourself so you "know" (roughly) most items and area's of any project so you aren't taken advantage of is a far better idea ;)

mkbonline likes this.
  3. mkbonline

Completely agree ! I am getting there in terms of knowing roughly but it will take some more time. Any recommendation for
    town planner and builder to support pre-purchase decisioning ? The property will be in hills region or western Sydney.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I think a town planner would be more important to your team than a builder at this stage but it does help to get to know a few so you can help work out construction costs.
    Generally a builder won't need to come for inspection unless you are considering keeping and renovating the existing house. Builders are so busy at the moment they are unlikely to be free to do that.
    It is very important to ensure that the site is capable of development and that is where a town planner is a great team member. They can help with the due diligence to ensure that it's zoned properly, that council overlays and permitted uses allow it, that it meets other criteria (frontages etc) and check that infrastructure (storm water etc) can support a development. Practically all this can be done online so they won't need to do an inspection either.

Last edited: 13th Oct, 2021
    mkbonline likes this.
  5. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Retired builder would be perfect!

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If its a KD then desktop is sufficient for land size and setbacks etc. For example 3 smaller t/houses may be better than a duplex or retain old dwelling and build a new one on the extra land. This can be quoted with land by almost any project builder. Most project builders offer multi-dwelling designs - Lots of them that cater for flat, sloping and all sorts of variables. Know your council rules on multi-dwelling sites. This is where the TP is best then find the buildings that suit.

7. mkbonline

I am considering something similar to this one.

48 Showground Road, Castle Hill, NSW 2154
    • R3 zoning
    • Gentle slope from left to right and also from front to back
    • Many old trees
    • Easement around corner (back)
    Is this suitable for Triplex development? Frontage is not huge