Takata airbag recalls

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by paulF, 4th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Just realised my 2000 323ci BMW is on the list and dealer called me to arrange a tow to get the car checked. Apparently pretty serious and car should not be driven at all!
    They said it might take months to fix as there are no parts for it and that BMW is offering a buy back option too.

Anyone gone through this ?

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Toyota and Mitsubishi changed out around two years ago (when recall first came out) ... done in a matter of hours

I gather the BMW didn't realise they had Takata until recently ... what price for the buyback? Would it be financially worth it as, I imagine, they will offer current retail value - not replacement value - or can you manage without/uber/taxi/public transport for a couple of months?

paulF likes this.
  3. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

Take the offer of buy back, your car is 20 years old :eek:, time for a replacement ... :)

gman65, qak, wylie and 2 others like this.
  4. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

I'm a motorcyclist so the car is sitting at home most of the time but i use it when i go out and for grocery runs and so on. Only clocked around 6000 kms in 5 years of ownership. So i can do without it for some time.

As for buy back value, dealer will be checking the car on Friday and will let me know if that option is available but to be honest i have no intentions of selling it even though she's a 20 years old car. She feels much better on the road than most new cars and is fully optioned with 6 airbags, traction control... and she's in a pristine condition and low kms for her age at around 143000Km.

She's been great and love the car so that would be my absolute last option.

Toon and Lizzie like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I had mine changed in a Subi, TWICE. Some stupid reason that the replacement was the same type as the original faulty unit, second time around it was the 'safe' one.

Toon and paulF like this.
  6. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Mate at bmw said they are offering 5k on crappy 3 series conditioned cars. They had the car park full of 3 series and the airbags will take way over a year to replace as the demand is huge.

gman65 and paulF like this.
  7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm surprised you didn't see the latest round of news articles about the BMW being part of the issue.

Anyway, if you car is inspected and found to be affected you are entitled to a loan car or payment for doing without your car whilst they fix it or the buy back scheme.

Further information here Urgent new recall for BMW vehicles containing faulty Takata airbags

The Y-man likes this.
  8. Westminster

There is going to be a bmw acreage graveyard someday soon where they'll take them all to die as I read somewhere it might be as long as 18mths before they have a fix. It will be cheaper to buy them back than do loan cars.

9. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

I actually bought it for wholesale price around 5 years ago for 5K ...

@Westminster , i actually did hear about some recalls a few months back and did check and the car wasn't listed on there yet but yup completely missed on the latest ones from November.

Let's see what the dealer finds on Friday but the lady on the phone said pretty much that. It will take months to get parts.

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yeah had it done twice. Like the others, they replaced a faulty airbag with a newer faulty airbag. Idiots. Then commonsense was applied by the Govt and a mandate set to replace the Takata airbag with a diff brand.

What I'm concerned about are the other 7 airbags in my car. Are they Takatas as well? I mean why is the driver's airbag the only one that's deemed risky?

Toon and gman65 like this.
  11. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Wow! Doesn't sound promising considering how many have had them convective. Even mates at the office done them twice on Mitsubishis!!
    Really unacceptable considering its a safety issue.

Toon likes this.
  12. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I suppose it's the only one that will most likely have a person sitting behind it in an accident?

13. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Sell it back, buy a slightly newer one for a few K more when you are ready. Sounds like an awesome deal to me. Selling an old non-suv these days is a pita.

paulF likes this.
  14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Selling a car is harder than selling a house!

gman65 and paulF like this.
  15. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Slept on it last night and thinking about now it seems like the right move to make.

Lizzie and gman65 like this.
  16. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

You will be amazed at the difference in your new car compared to the old one ... :D

paulF likes this.
  17. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I knew about these takata airbag issue, I had one of my airbags on one car replaced for free at a dealer, this buy back thing is a common thing? i have a few cars in early 2000s that would love to be bought back

18. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I thought about this as well. I can only guess the trajectory of of the parts would not cause (as much) damage to the occupant ~` but maybe it is only a matter of time until a lawsuit pops up where a curtain airbag component injures/kills someone.... :(

The Y-man

19. Westminster

It's probably only going to be the BMW ones as reportedly there is no replacement air bag available for those models and there has already been a death so it's not the like others where they can let people still drive them until they have a fix. The BMWs are to be picked up by tow truck and not even driven to dealership and as there is no current fix it may be cheaper for BMW to buy them off the owners than to supply loan cars/compensation for not having a car for up to 18mths.
    From a publicity point of view it also is a good stance to show they look after their owners, take the issue seriously and hope to upgrade them into another BMW :p

gman65 and TMNT like this.
  20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Damn ok. Now I'll be crapping myself everytime he family gets into the car.