Syrian Refugees ...Would you sponsor/house a family?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Samten, 7th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Harro

Harro Well-Known Member

Using this logic, should we not get rid of ISIS because something more vile may crop up?

2. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

You arent answering my question which is a genuine one. Why on earth would we want anyone to assimilate and even if we did, assimilate into what? There is no singular australian culture, it's constantly evolving. No doubt we woulld hope migrants would eventually integrate into austrakian culture but assimilation no thanks. Imagine if all the different migrants in australia had chosen to assimilate instead of bringing their culture with them, it would be a poorer place for it.

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

The Chinese, Indian, Italian, South African, Greek, Hong Kong, Indonesian, Polish and many other cultures in Australia are happy to enjoy their culture without having the need to impose it on anyone else. Culture is not just 'culture'. You have to understand what it is influenced by.

ccul.PNG

juzzy, Phantom and T.C. like this.
  4. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

Heard briefly on the radio, during Kosovo there was a program that the government ran called Safe Haven. Wherein refugees were taken in temporarily, until the conflict in their home country or until it is safe for them to go back.
    Some have stayed, and others have actually gone back.
    Perhaps that is a good compromise of sorts?

Chrispy and Excalibur1 like this.
  5. THX

THX Well-Known Member

No plan survives contact with the enemy. You can plan for every contingency you think possible and reality would still not conform to your plan so what is your solution?

6. THX

THX Well-Known Member

Of course we want assimilation. Who on earth would want a society full of enclaves of different cultures and religions that exist separately to each other. That is what multiculturalism promotes and it is sheer idiocy.

Munga likes this.
  7. THX

THX Well-Known Member

You do understand that assimilation and integrate mean the same thing don't you?

8. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Exactly!
    I think people often mistake the melting pot culture with multiculturalism when people give examples of Germans, Poles, Greeks, Italians, Vietnamese etc. coming to Australia and positivley contributing to society.

9. sanj

Bzzzzzt incorrect. Pls try again

LibGS likes this.
  10. acorn123

acorn123 Well-Known Member

OK. I will bring my three wives here:D.
    In addition, I go home to marry with a 13 years old, and bring her here a few years later;).

11. sanj

Cool strawman bro

juzzy, AndrewTDP, LibGS and 1 other person like this.
  12. THX

THX Well-Known Member

assimilation:. The process by which a person or persons acquire the social and psychological characteristics of a group
    integrate: bring (people or groups with particular characteristics or needs) into equal participation in or membership of a social group or institution.

Same thing. You are arguing for assimilation yourself and mistaking your argument for multiculturalism (which is very different).

13. acorn123

I am proud of my culture and heritage:D.

quote:
    OK. I will bring my three wives here:D.
    In addition, I go home to marry with a 13 years old, and bring her here a few years later;).

14. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

This is what happened with Kosovo / Serbia... Serbian government allowed the Muslims to have multiple wives and average of 3 kids with each of them. Over last 100 years population shifted from 80% Orthodox and others and 20 % Muslim. Where just before they wanted to take Serbian land it was 90% Muslim and 10% Orthodox.

Imagine the Chinese in Sydney China town wanted to claim that as New China. The only reason is because there is more of them. Do you think Australian government will let it happen?? I mean same thing has been happening in Spain and you dont see US government getting involved into it?? The world powers wanted to seperate that Block of countries since the 90's. The sad thing is that all the monasteries that were built there and historical buildings have been demolished so that Madeleine Albright's company can start mining the precious minerals there. The only reason that was not done previously is because that is sacred land where more than half of Serbian population died during the Turk invasion.

I read somewhere that this century will belong to Asia and main reason is because of sheer number of populations. Developed countries just cant compete with that.

15. acorn123

@Excalibur1
    No. I smell some element of racism .......:D.
    Mate, don't go down that path ....:eek:
    As long as they can be melted into the society, it is fine, regardless their origins IMO.

16. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I'm not saying good nor bad, but rather there were and are still no good options. It's a case of Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

17. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Peter Wargent actually wrote a bit about migration in his latest blog and it covered the topic of Australia’s migration patterns and future projections.

http://petewargent.blogspot.com.au/

There has been a noticeable shift in migration patterns over the past few years with the number of New Zealander permanent settlers declining sharply and British settlers diving towards their lowest level since around the time when Scott and Charlene of Neighbours first hit the airwaves. On the other hand Chinese and Indian settlers are steadily breaking new annualised highs by the month.

[​IMG]

This is reflective of a wider trend towards Asian immigration into Australia, while inflows from Europe and Oceania are tailing away for the time being.
    Projecting these trends forward this suggests that Australia will largely be an Asian nation by the middle of this century, resulting in profound implications for the property types and suburbs which will be the outperformers over the decades ahead.

[​IMG]

Excalibur1 likes this.
  18. Excalibur1

Excalibur1 Well-Known Member

Not really Racism. I used it to illustrate what is happening in those regions. This is a fact. It has been proven over and over that lower socio economic groups tend to have a lot more children than other groups. Its not being racist if it is true and backed up by various studies.

I think everyone can be racist because you might not feel that you are but it actually depends how the other person feels. So don't worry there is still hope for me :).

See I could say that you are being racist by your comment too... what happens if they don't want to be "melted" into society? What I stated was facts, what you did was a form of racism.... The type of racism that my parents experienced when they came to Australia. This was from an Aborigine man telling them to leave his country as he had enough white man in it. Mind you he was drunk but none the less he was saying truth. What should we do with those people who have not "melted" into our society? Maybe we should have adapted to their society?

There are a lot of other issues relating to this that it can be discussed and debated for years... and you will still have people who have different opinions.

19. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Well; don't believe it and here's why.

I've been listening to this conversation on the various media for a couple of days now...

Firstly; I am a LIb voter, but I listen VERY closely to the Left media reports as well.

There has never been at any stage anything mentioned whatsoever by the Fed Gubb about any religions etc being "favoured" with selecting refugees.

The closest anyone has said was "persecuted minority groups".

Given that the Terrorists hate the whole world except themselves and their stupid beards, this would encompass pretty much the whole planet.

The ABC - in true fashion - has somehow added the words "christians" into the rhetoric.

They are truly a disgrace and we are frickin paying these b@stards to deliver a balanced news service.

FFS

20. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Disgusting. Our standards should be higher than this. Thanks for the clarification.