Syrian Refugees ...Would you sponsor/house a family?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Samten, 7th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Two very different things..one group is fearful of their safety and the other wants a better life, rightly so, but does not have to literally dodge bullets.

thatbum likes this.
  2. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Under Saddam's rule, according to him and him only, their was only one supreme power- himself. No room for anything else (good or bad). So yes, I agree with you on this.

3. monty

monty Well-Known Member

Lol at giving Bush any power again.

marty998, jim1964 and datto like this.
  4. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

As bad as it sounds, I'd rather another bush than Trump.

5. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Yep and have done. But the homeless problem in Australia is more about mental health not homelessness due to war, or displacement. Unfortunately I am not equipped to deal with mental health issues. Homeless people need clinical help and shelter, I understand that. I have spent my Christmas eve and day cooking and feeding homeless people so understand the need in our society.
    So back to my question would you help??

AndrewTDP, trinity168 and WattleIdo like this.
  6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I really like the Pope's s uggestion that each parish take one family. I reckon it could be a very embracing form of migration - though they will need each other and a lot of expert/professional support. Syrians are generally quite civilized, educated and comfortable from what I know.

AndrewTDP, JacM and Samten like this.
  7. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Happy to take the atheists.

Ouga, skater, sonic98 and 5 others like this.
  8. Harro

Harro Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, those displaced by war under such atrocious conditions might also have mental health issues, that will need addressing.

WattleIdo likes this.
  9. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Yes we need to understand different cultures..
    In a former incarnation my office was 1hr drive from home.( 85km) When I was young and hitch hiking around the country I made myself a promise that I would always pick up hitch hikers when I had a car. When I had a family I would always pick up hitch hikers and after sussing them out offer them a bed with clean sheets and a home cooked meal on the one condition that after dinner we pull out the Atlas (pre internet days) and they would tell us everything about their country, family growing up schooling etc. This was also pre mobile phone so my wife had no idea that I would be turning up with a dinner geust! We all learned so much and the kids were always excited when I brought home someone. Sven from Sweden didn't want to leave and spent 2 weeks with us and then every year after sent birthday cards and xmas cards to us all! My children grew up getting to know different cultures and nationalities.

lost nomad, Gockie, Blacky and 3 others like this.
  10. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I'd say that would cover a fair portion, truth be known.

11. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

I know many muslims for whom none of the above apply, despite your believe at least obe of the 3 would apply for most muslims.

Samten likes this.
  12. sanj

Yeah nah bro

AndrewTDP and LibGS like this.
  13. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Most means more than 50%. I doubt that there are more than a couple of hundred million muslims in the world that see homosexuality as a perfectly acceptable way to live. If that's true (and I believe that it is), then my earlier assertion was right.

Another example would be that if "The life of Brian" was made about Mohammed now, there's no way that the Monty Python guys could go out in public without protection!

juzzy likes this.
  14. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

During the Kosovo crisis some years ago, I called the relevant phone number to offer literally any help I could offer, whether it be making myself useful somehow, offering housing, do some teaching, etc etc. The lady on the phone was very nice about it but explained that as I couldn't speak the language of these people, I wouldn't be able to communicate with them. The area where I live doesn't have a community of people that speak the language (and few areas did, I suppose), and they would not be able to access the services they would almost certainly need such as medical care, since they don't have medicare numbers and such. I can see how logistically it is easier to keep the group in one place where you can bring services to them such as interpreters, trauma counsellors, medical personnel etc that have been specifically worded up on the atrocities that the people have been exposed to, and thus be prepared with the relevant plan to best assist them. There aren't a lot of places that can accommodate a lot of people on short notice, thus why places are used that seem to us like detention centre environments. It's a logistical dilemma.

WattleIdo likes this.
  15. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

You could say at least one of these points is true for half of the American population (i.e. Christians who votes Republicans).

sanj, LibGS and JDP1 like this.
  16. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

The Aborigines let in the Christian boat people and look what happened to them. We are next. Right?!?!?

Excalibur1 likes this.
  17. sanj

Look at the bloody leader of this country who ao many laud here, he wouldnt be welcomed into this country going by the criteria earlier

18. sanj

Just to confirm that rule should apply to all migrants right? No misogynists or homophobes? I find it just a touch hypocritical in a country with appalling domestic violence record and one in which we have ads on tv and radio denouncing same sex marriage that we can get on a high horse about morality of others

19. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    I don't have the capacity to look after anyone personally. However, I support our Government extending our humanitarian refugee intake by an extra 10,000-30,000 people in the short term (perhaps for the next 3-5 years). There are also thousands of other refugees who have been in camps throughout Africa who are still waiting on asylum so I believe they shouldn't be made to wait any longer than the usual processing time either. Australia accepts around 200,000 skilled migrants each year so if there are concerns about infrastructure or services maybe skilled migration should be temporarily scaled back to accommodate a humanitarian surplus.

LibGS, mrdobalina and WattleIdo like this.
  20. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I've always been of the opinion that we could replace some of the skilled migrants with true refugees.

acorn123 and 2FAST4U like this.