Synthetic grass

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 5th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

im thinking of putting down synthetic grass in 2 of my ip 's that have a courtyard but nompaving.
    It would save the tenant having to mow .

But i dont want cheap type that when it rains it soaked wet for days after !!!

Who sells the synthetic grass ?
    Whats your exp with it ?

How do i lay it ? Do i dig up the grass already down or just lay the turf iver the grass ?

2. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

Chronic i think it was called? One of the best synthetic grasses on the market!

Every experience is different!

Redwing, inertia and mrdobalina like this.
  3. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

First explain why you, as an investor want to spend money for 0 return?

This is Australia, people can mow their lawn.

markson likes this.
  4. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

5. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

I think having grass out the back can put some propestive tenants off... A courtyard suzed backyard ... I know it puts me off if i was a tenant , i prefer not to mow.

The only thing im concerned about is it getting wet ... I used to rember the synthetic grass at my school when i was young at it was soaked after the rain.

6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Go for the real deal.

you can conceal it amongst tomato plants.

inertia likes this.
  7. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

Maybe if no one has grass in the area it could be better. Otherwise keep it as grass as everyone expects.

Also think about this, if the tenant didn't want grass, they would look at townhouses with paved courtyards or units and not houses with small backyards.

8. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

Put it on the walls. :D

Language warning on the clip.

Ardi likes this.
  9. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

Synthetic looks good however for tenants who smoke or have dogs beware :eek:
    Saw a property with similar and tenant had a party with a firepit in the middle.....kinda molten :D

10. RiMo

RiMo Well-Known Member

Looking at your previous threads, you were unhappy for paying (what you thought was unreasonable) property management fees and you were surprised that you have to pay the water bill for your IP - but you're happy to spend money on synthetic grass??

I have synthetic grass in my backyard. They are low maintenance, look like the real thing, drains well. Best thing ever - but they're not cheap!

11. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

Or smoking synthetic grass....

12. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Don't. it's terribly ugly

13. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

All my neighbors have synthetic, because of the cost of water and gardening, over $150 a month I reckon in summer for a bit of grass, but this is a part of Spain where it doesn't rain at all for 2 months in the summer. The synthetic stuff is hot to stand on in the sun but it looks better than my real stuff most if the year, so have been thinking about it.

Anyone done it themselves ? Or does it turn out a mess ? I only need to do about 40 m2 mostly level.

14. Brian Keyser Interiors

Brian Keyser Interiors New Member

From a resell perspective Fake or Synthetic grass is a definite NO NO,as previously mentioned if a prospective tenant is looking around they would not look at a garden property but paved only. Synthetic is not an option, it's nasty,doesn't last and always is dirty,leaves,bird poop,dust,rain and can only be cleaned by a BLOWER.

Nick Valsamis likes this.
  15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Water retaining will be more due to the substrate preparation and quality and provision of drainage than the grass. For example, on heavy clay water is likely to sit on top rather than drain easily.

You really need to look at the whole environment for this sort of thing. You may need to add drainage if you have certain conditions on the block.

However, fake grass is a bit tacky, I think. I wouldn't spend the money on it, but might consider replacing real grass with a paved courtyard in the right circumstances.

You could always charge a higher rent and include mowing. For a tenant who doesn't mind mowing, offer the lower rent as an option.

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Just ask Salim Mahajier - loves it so much he even did his nature strip (now his ex-fellow councillors at Auburn are up in arms about not getting consent).

Skilled_Migrant likes this.