Health & Family Symptoms of Getting Older

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 19th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

You taking them based on your own assessment or based on a doctors advice? If it's your own, then yes, If there is nothing stopping you from getting them from your diet like allergies.

No health advice, but just common sense.

2. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

Agree with this. Supplements are one of the biggest gimmicks out there and totally unregulated by bodies such as the TGA. In fact, you pee out most of it the first time you go to the toilet. There are only 3 essential fat-ty acids, and 9 essential amino acids your body requires from diet. The rest, our body can make itself.
    You can get these from eating fish, nuts and proteins once or twice a week.
    Certainly a case for vegetarians and vegans to get supplementation. They also need iron as well.

Last edited by a moderator: 11th Jun, 2022
    Beano and paulF like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd think taking advice on the internet from people saying you need supplements or you don't need supplements has about the same risk.

We get a blood test from our GP and take his advice, plus we take the results to a naturopath (ex-CSIRO scientist) who has more "smarts" than most GPs. Between these two, we work out what we need. Our naturopath also takes blood via a finger prick in his rooms and looks at things in our blood that no GP ever has (and which aren't screened via most blood tests).

And the beauty of this is that we can see on screen how things are changing between visits. It is particularly visible for my husband who has lost his spleen so his blood looks very different to mine and with tweaks, adding certain supplements to support his liver as well (problems there too), we can see the changes for ourselves.

4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

The person may well be an ex-CSIRO scientist. However it is possible this is the situation.

"Non-accredited settings

Testing offered by complementary health care professionals, some pharmacies or non-accredited pathology laboratories usually operate outside of an accredited framework which may have implications for the quality of the test results. Some of the risks associated with these tests may include:
    • that there may be no evidence that the tests offered are appropriate or relevant
    • the tests may be performed and interpreted by staff without appropriate laboratory qualifications, training or experience
    • the tests may have a high risk for false-positive (testing positive for a disease or condition that isn’t present) and false-negative (testing negative for a disease or condition that is present) results which create unnecessary stress or false reassurance for the patient
    • the test results may require follow-up testing to confirm their accuracy
    • the tests may be expensive and are not eligible for a Medicare rebate which means the patient will probably be responsible for the full cost of the tests."
    Department of Health | Pathology - The <em>Facts</em>. Where can I have a pathology test?

Blueskies likes this.
  5. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

The only nutrient deficient on a whole food plant based vegan diet is B12. Iron supplementation is not required on a vegan diet.

Blueskies likes this.
  6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yep all my own initiative.

7. wylie

I probably wasn't terribly clear. He doesn't (and cannot) order blood tests. We take our blood test results from our GP and he looks them over. Our GP knows this guy and knows we are seeing him. No issues there (unlike many GPs who would be quite threatened by this).

More of interest to us is that there are natural (supermarket available) things that support liver function. They've made quite a difference to the size and shape of his blood. Lack of spleen means the blood must be cleaned a different way by the body. It is slower but still is cleaned, and some simple things help support the body in doing this. The results are clearly visible. This guy just looks at things from a different angle. He has five world wide patents. He's smart.

SatayKing, Gockie and Lizzie like this.
  8. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

Yes, I noticed this also after transitioning to vegan. Also with better circulation some things become much harder. :D

9. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Same here @wylie. What I was getting at in a very oblique way is the experiences of a number of people on an internet forum does not a scientific study make no matter who they may consult.

I am glad though you are finding the outcomes are good for both you and hubby.

10. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

And eccentric training (when the muscle is lengthening whilst under load) is excellent for tendon strength.

On Eccentric muscle action, here's a titbit:

A study (can't find it now) using older-aged subjects had one group walk up several flights of stairs then take the lift down; while another group caught the lift up and then walked down the several flights of stairs. All done a comfortable and safe pace. Third control group did nothing.

Group walking up got aerobically fitter, minimal change in strength.
    Group walking down got stronger, minimal change in fitness.
    Control group no positive changes.

So avoid the stairs both ways if you can.

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

?Huh? Do you mean lift?

12. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Conducted my own study on muscle cramps. Magnesium 3/10, alcohol 10/10:).

Anne11 likes this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Suckers

Shazz@ and Nodrog like this.
  14. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I pulled a white hair out of my nostril - surely the beginning of the end.... :eek::eek::eek:

The Y-man

craigc likes this.
  15. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Yes, yes I did. Facepalm.

craigc and The Y-man like this.
  16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

In the ears is a much more sexy look:confused:

craigc and The Y-man like this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Now that is painful!

18. Gockie

All good. Confused writing... a symptom of getting older. Lol
    ;)

19. Gockie

I found 2 white hairs just at my forehead!! I wonder if it's to do with the shock of the unicycle fall on Monday.

20. wylie

Pull 'em out, slap on some honey and report back? :D

Marg4000 likes this.