Sydney's parks and reserves charge entry to see fireworks

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Angel, 31st Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The world's going to end....heaven help us that local councils charge to use facilities (the provision of temporary toilets, fencing security guards, extra cleaning services, lawn repairs etc aren't free).

User pays.

Poppy and balwoges like this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with that - imagine what they have to pay for the cleanup crew at 2am and the cost of provision of facilities

balwoges likes this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

One year I went to see the fireworks from Blues Point....it was horrible! No space to sit at all, you were squashed up cheek by jowl with everybody else. Plus lots of people had been drinking the whole afternoon so it was simply a really unpleasant place to be. It would have been a disaster if there was an emergency that people had to quickly flee. I think it would have been great to limit the number of people coming into that area (perhaps by ticket only or first in best dressed capped to xxxxx people like an indoor venue) and to also make it alcohol free/alcohol can only be purchased on site in paper cups or cans.

My best experiences for public spaces: Yarranabbe Park at Darling Point and Clarkes Point, Woolwich. Both places have ample space even for people rocking up quite late, no alcohol fueled antisocial behaviour, family friendly, and you can play games while waiting and that’s fine. I tend to go to Clarkes Point now simply because it has the advantage of being really quick and easy for me to drive to Hunters Hill and from there, go to the reserve. It’s just over 4km from the park and ride site ($5 to park the car at the site, though you can also choose to park in the local streets to save that $5). From the park and ride site it’s a nice walk (look at the beautiful houses on the way) or cycle ride. There’s no need to take any buses or trains, though frequent shuttle buses are provided. Hunters Hill Council, the RMS, the police and whoever else is involved executes this event really well.

You aren’t quite as close to the action, but it’s a trade off.

Ps. Some people spend the best part of 31st December camping out to secure a prime spot... yeah, no, not me.

And this is not my cup of tea.

530706C9-D36B-4E68-8977-9FFAE343994C.jpeg

Last edited: 1st Jan, 2019
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I didn't even watch the fireworks this year ... nothing was going to come close to the display Mother Nature put on, in our neck of the woods, around 9pm

Screenshot (696).png

Poppy, Lemmy a fiver, Blacky and 7 others like this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I just finished watching them on my TV at 9am sensible time. I posted that to see what the reactions would be, then went out. With thinking time, i realise that you need to have "crowd control". My SIL from Sydney said it's been happening for a few years and you enter a lottery to get tickets to the best places, which the article didn't mention. Makes perfect sense :)

7. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

I was in bed with my wife. No fireworks there either.

Poppy, Lemmy a fiver, Blacky and 4 others like this.
  8. Gockie

The ABC event at the Opera House was a ballot. If you win you'd get up to 4 tickets at $40 per ticket. How awesome.

The Cahill expressway vantage point has been a public ballot for many years. I reckon its the most fair way to select who gets the privilege. Just like securing the swimming tickets at the Sydney Olympics (though they weren't exactly giving those away)

I have to say, so glad I didn't have to take any trains to go home last night. Extremely crowded stations at the best of times with NYE, now throw in the weather issues.... Fun and games.

9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I do not mind the crowd control idea, but as per usual with govt things, it becomes a money grab.

We used to go to a spot quite often, then one year, they started to barricade & stopped you from bringing own drinks, of course, there was drinks you could buy inside the area from vendors that no doubt were paying a premium.

Now I believe you have to pay also.

This terrorist garbage has enabled govts to do all sorts of things in the name of safety, and once they are allowed or get away with something, it is very hard to have it reversed or rarely removed.

Bring back the old days, where the public is free to move in public spaces funded by the public, no double or triple dipping thanks to use what is already ours to use, and if too crowded, your free too move elsewhere.

Toon likes this.
  10. dabbler

The Opera house itself is a venue, so it would always be a paid gig.

The expressway, sorry, but us motorists being paying for it for years, it is also a bit of a dud as too many tall buildings. Control the numbers, but it should be no cost and first come basis IMO with all public spaces.

Closing a public road to grab money in my eyes, wonder how we all did it decades ago without all this govt intervention & you still have the nongs that attend, same as years ago.

11. Gockie

I think Cahill Expressway is free? You *just* have to win the ballot.

beachgurl likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Are you suggesting that she's a fizzer?

dabbler and kierank like this.
  13. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Maybe @twobobsworth forgot to light the fuse?

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Apparently we're on a "rinse and repeat" warning for tonight - times like this I love my solar battery backup :D as we don't even notice the power cuts (except the oven clock starts to flash)

15. dabbler

That happens if you go off without a bang.....

twobobsworth and kierank like this.
  16. dabbler

Dunno, is still a public roadway.

I have been there, I cannot recall if it was a fee.

I would imagine roads should only be closed for works, accidents etc....but I do agree areas like that if closed do need crowd control.

17. Scott No Mates

Two types of Road Closures under Part 4 of the NSW Roads Act - S38 (Permanent Road Closure) or S39 Temporary Road Closure.

18. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

You’ve got to press the button to start the fireworks. More than once.

twobobsworth, dabbler and kierank like this.
  19. dabbler

Is that what your mate used for his wedding at Lidcombe....can I get one at a raffle to close down my street ?

20. dabbler

lol...love it....good on ya Poppy !

Might add it must be the right button too ! Lots of people on PC pressing buttons :)

Poppy and kierank like this.