Sydney to grow by the size of Brisbane over next 20 years

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Finrod, 12th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Sydney's growing much faster than regional NSW. But we all knew this... the graph just confirms.

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I moved to Adelaide and even that feels too big for this Newcastle born and raised guy

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hehe.
    Brisbane felt really small at first when I came back, I thought I must've forgotten a public holiday when I arrived at Brisbane Central station on my 1st Monday back here.

mcarthur likes this.
  4. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

There are voices criticising the immigration policies endorsed by both parties, but they're not really mainstream yet.

The thing is that it can move up the agenda very quickly. About a decade ago, the UK Conservative party campaigned on a slogan of "it's not racist to oppose immigration", which was seen as a bit dodgy. That was one of the biggest issues that drove the Brexit vote in June.

I could see the debate going the same way over here. Maybe not yet, but in the next five to ten years.

5. Drgonzo

Drgonzo Well-Known Member

Not convinced this will actually happen. The NSW economy is being kept afloat by record levels of investment it can't go on forever. I've noticed companies starting to recruit in the UK again for construction roles this is exactly what happened in WA when the boom ends everyone leaves it will end in tears.

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

As long as Australia remains a high demand country for people to want to come to and work and live in, it will be fine.

There's a reason why so many international people have migrated and are migrating to want to work and live in Australia.

7. Drgonzo

Drgonzo Well-Known Member

But that is exactly what will make it less attractive. Google stories in the media about poms returning home from Aus after the boom complaining it's expensive and not like the post card

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be investing anywhere based on population growth data alone.
    For all we know, those 1.7 - 2 million people entering Sydney will all get put into high rise apartments so the value of established houses may not be as lucratively affected as initially thought.

(failed Gladstone graduate here)

JM investor and Drgonzo like this.
  9. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Personally I'm all for population growth in Sydney, though I question the quality of life for many occupants of the city over time. It is an expensive place to live, no doubt.

People come here chasing big dreams and often the big $$$ jobs here. Thing is, everyone wants those big 6 (and rarely, 7!) Figure salaries. But just how many of those jobs are there to go around? With technology automating many sectors not only in manual labor but now in intelligence-led 'services' jobs in finance, media, accounting, even law etc. (And these are typically those big 6 figure jobs), I wonder just how many of the new arrivals will attain these jobs?

If you are a teacher, cleaner, cabbie, hairdresser, nurse etc. In my mind there is no point living in Sydney. Dont get me wrong, we need these jobs and badly!! Sadly, the cost of living is so high and the earning potential income for these types of jobs so "capped" that you arent ahead, living here, financially!

I.e. isnt it smarter for a $70k a year nurse to live somewhere much cheaper and more chilled, and still earn that same $70k?? Sure, you may have family reasons or "if i dont get my kid into Xxxxx school in Sydney I've failed as a parent and my kid will become an instant junkie" reasons, but really, I think this is the reality check for Sydney's populace.

IMHO we (humanity, globally) are moving inyo a great 'levelling' in the coming decade. Rich western countries' salaries will come down and improving developing countries' salaries will creep up. Globalisation and capitalism of the free global markets will balance things out more often in the future. Interesting times ahead for Sydney..

Whitecat and JM investor like this.
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Take these predictions with a grain of salt.

Remember the predictions for Perth's population exceeding Brisbane a mere few yrs ago? Things change - planning controls, global economy, exchange rates, etc etc

Citycat88 likes this.
  11. Sea Eagles88

Sea Eagles88 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. the amount of skilled migrants coming in to Australia is massive, go to the Immigration department website and download a Migration Program Report it says 127,774 skilled migrants came in 2014-15

These are the jobs the migrants taking on.

upload_2016-9-14_10-12-46.png

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

I would be wary of the figures, but the population predictions aren't based on anything as pedestrian as short-term and easy-to-change things as you've mentioned. They have a large historical basis, and bring together a huge range of factors. I'd guess that none of the points you mentioned would change the figures in any way, unless the global economy tanked by 50% or something and even then. Remember that births are occuring no matter what terrible planning controls (eek! :D) the Perth City Council puts in place. Our exchange rate doesn't effect the birth rate in UK or NZ (ie. immigration). etc.

13. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Yeah but people go where the jobs are (remember, the schools outside growing areas already have teachers; the cabbies have their cabs there; the cleaner's businesses are up and running).
    So where are people going to get jobs - where the growth of people is. Hairdressers only make money by getting people to come into their new shop - and that means people. You could take over an existing hairdressers in the shticks (like Geelong :p), or you start your own shiny one where growth is - people are younger and their hair grows faster :D.
    Thats why people will flock to the areas of population growth. There's always some who are happy with the quieter life away from the hussle, but the jobs go where the hussle is.
    Unfortunately, this often means a two (+) tier city. At least the hairdressers are safe here (thankyou Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy).

14. Jack Chen

Jack Chen Well-Known Member

Can't speak for Accounting but the two IT jobs on that list are 100k+ jobs and predominantly a Sydney/Melbourne thing.

15. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

yes, true. Sydney and Mel have traditionally and still are the main sources of IT jobs. They also pay the highest, however also have the highest costs especially property.
    In another 10 years time, expect Brisbane to join sydney and mel as the top dogs in this space. Brisbane is (reasonably fast) evolving from selling cow hide and leather boots to more high value services. Will take time for this to more fully take effect.
    The rest of the country is going to be focussed on other things..which isn't necessarily bad- just not really going to be at the forefront of innovation and change. My predictions anyway...

Jack Chen likes this.
  16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, the halt of the "lease" of the electricity infrastructure could make things interesting in the next few years. That was $10B (they reckon it will be less now). The Westconnex project is already $7B over budget apparently. That only leaves an extra $3B. What if they only get $8B for it now?

17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

If it does grow by the number of residents of Brisbane, that would be huge. Its not so far off a 50% population growth in just 20 years....

18. lilolizard

lilolizard Member

Refuse to sit in traffic for hours FOR WHAT
    Sydney traffic has been horrendous for at least 20 years
    Connex projects will help ain't going to solve
    Good to own investment property there
    Love to go down there every now and again
    No desire to ever live there
    Have fair idea what a good lifestyle is and i just don't see it in major cities anymore
    Each to their own
    Obviously no shortage of residents who love it

19. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Pom's ? Complaining ??? :):D

Let them go, along with anyone else who does not love this country, there is plenty lined up that will appreciate it.

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Was that a haiku?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia