Sydney - Thoughts on home extension design

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by FrivolousPanda, 4th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. FrivolousPanda

FrivolousPanda Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm looking into extending my PPOR for an internal laundry, second bathroom, internal store room/study/home office/bedroom and double carport. House is for a family with young kids.

Interested in any thoughts people may have to improve it. Maybe it's better to keep the garage and make it into the store/bedroom with a new extension joining to it consisting of the laundry and bathroom in the middle?

Existing plan

Home is in Georges river council area covered by Hurstville development planning controls. It's a typical 3 bedroom, 1 bathroom 1950's red double brick and tile house. Currently there's a external laundry and a single car garage. There is a sewer line running along the right boundary of the house which is approximately 0.9m from the boundary (pretty runs from the shed along the timber retaining wall). From SWC drawings, it should be 1m below the surface at road and is 150mm diameter.

Existing plan.png

Draft plan

Draft plan does encroach on the setbacks. The rear setback should be 3m but being a corner lot, my neighbour has a side setback to me of 0.9m. Also the carport encroaches a bit on the setback too.

Thinking of having fibre cement weatherboard cladding for the extension exterior. Roof to be colourbond flat roof. Carport may be an open gable colourbond roof.
    Draft plan.png

We tried having turning the carports 90deg to be inline with the house and the driveway entrance on the same side as the front door. To do this, the carport would need to be right next to the house to not extend pass any setbacks.

Carport on aligned with house.png

Thanks

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice