NSW Sydney Thornhill Event - 17th June

Discussion in 'Networking & Meetups' started by Gockie, 12th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

Some others:
    1. Simplistic view on property investment. Thinks the end game is solely to negative gear.
    2. Concludes shares > property without accounting for ability to leverage (more) into property
    3. He has owned 3 properties. One in UK and 2 in Aus. All were purchased as PPOR. Old PPORs were sold. Would be interesting to find out about their values are today ;)

chylld likes this.
  2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Thornhill does not need the income from his books. The book/seminar income would be minuscule compared to his dividend income which is currently well into 7 figures pa ( he showed us his year by year dividend income numbers going back approx 30 years and the growth in the dividends was astounding ).

He gets out there because he is passionate about the topic and has a genuine desire to help people invest in the sharemarket using sound strategies. It's also about using limited capital efficiently and effectively.

He got out of the superannuation / fund management industry because of the misguided strategies that those industries and the financial planning industries have been pushing and have become the norm. Essentially there has been too much dumbing down going on, keeping the power in the hands of the fund managers rather than empowering investors to make their own informed decisions.

RetireRich101 and Gockie like this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

If the share market crashes, you'll find your yields go up.... the value of the dividends don't change, at most they'll decrease by about half the amount of the stock price fall. Because you can have these opportunities, therefore, he advocates keeping some powder dry.
    And I do know of someone who implemented what he said at GFC time... when everybody else was fearful, she and her family followed Peter's advice and did really well from it. Threw lots of money in when the market was down.

@MTR.
    ?Sorry but huh? His competition? Like who?

4. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Not sure why it has to be THIS or THAT:D

Two ways to skin this cat baby...:)

RetireRich101 likes this.
  5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

The only way is to test it out with real cash. Theorising is not enough. The same thing with property investment. Fear either stops you (too much risk and bad experience) or drives you (don't want to live poor)

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'll be honest with you, PT lost me the moment he started to bash real estate AND advise ppl to not bother with it. Even if a seasoned property expert started to say the same about shares ie forget about that asset clsss etc etc, i would lose respect for them and strongly question their motives.

PT is so anti real estate and for someone to be so wrong about that asset class (i know he's wrong for a fact just looking at my net worth )..what else could he be soo wrong about....how can i possibly take him seriously when he talks about share investing.

My dad always says if it smells too good to be true you can bet your bottom dollar the stink is just around the corner.

Excalibur1 and MTR like this.
  7. Jack Chen

Jack Chen Well-Known Member

Far as I know he's not selling anything other than his seminars and books. He's not trying to sell his advisory service like so many property seminars out there.

I feel that he's genuine and just sharing the wisdom he's gained over the years.

8. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

4. When he becomes the Prime Minister he will undo the wrongs in real estate such as negative gearing :D

chylld and devank like this.
  9. larrylarry

were you there? i only managed to speak to a couple there and I left before Q and A. I went with the attitude that I don't know much about shares. Same thing I came to this forum and somersoft some years ago to learn about property investing. Is it something that I will go into it? Possibly.

Many on this forum talk about their property holdings without much details and everything said has to be taken with grains of salt. The only way to find out is to get into it. One person's bad experience doesn't equate to another's.

When I was there at the beginning, I began to feel defensive but I realise that not everyone looks at property/shares the same way, so might as well listen and learn something new, where 'new' is valid or not.

Gockie likes this.
  10. larrylarry

We know that at 70, he has better things to do. :)

11. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

either this or that, I know when I am 70 I would rather have less tenant issue...of course the gfc3 and gfc4 might burst my bionic heart when share price falls, but I hoping to adapt a strategy when I am still young..so that I don't have to look at the share price.PT didn't boast his net worth much, but did show off his dividend income in detail year over year in his xls/Money which is quiet impressive. Even if you can replicate a quarter of what he achieved in 30 years still a target goal for most

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hi mate,

No I wasn't able to attend his event I had something on though I wanted to go. However he has a lot of materials on line in written form as well as on youtube so I had a good look at his presentations. Like I said I have nothing against stock investing or PT etc, I just lose interest when someone repeatedly says to ignore an asset class such as real estate. We all know there are so many ways to make money in real estate, its ridiculous to unequivocally say to all listeners ,and I quote from him "buy shares, don't buy property".

I would be a lot more engaged if he stopped bashing property (which has made many, many average people many millions of dollars) and just stuck to his own share investing methods.

Just my take on it.

13. Gockie

Fair call.

14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You also made a nice chunk of wealth from Real estate ;)

Gockie likes this.
  15. Gockie

Fair call. One thing you missed was that he does tell people to keep an open mind to what he suggests. Yes, I'll agree, he does bash property unnecessary. But... if you were to strip it out and purely look at industrial shares over a time period, the returns are pretty good. More reliable than resources. And it's effortless. ....

Sackie likes this.
  16. larrylarry

Due Diligence!

17. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I thought LIC share prices also go down ex-dividend? Or do they not?

Ditto. One row in excel for each DRP event, which I'd have to make if I took the dividend as cash and bought other shares with it anyway.

In an era where property is all the buzz, he is simply feeding his audience the alternative theory that they want to hear, that they think will let them get ahead of the crowd. People respond well to new/fresh perspectives with shock value. While I don't take him seriously as a property investor, I do listen a bit as a stock investor.

As for actually doing it, I've been quite happy building up a portfolio alongside my property investments... there's no reason you can't have both.

(Vertical axis: projected/annualised return % p.a. after all fees and tax obligations)
    (Horizontal axis: months held)

ss (2017-06-20 at 09.43.37).png

larrylarry likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I don't disagree, there is room for more than 1 strategy/approach.

19. larrylarry

Non-property related Business is another vehicle to create wealth but that's even more difficult than buying properties and shares, but remains a wealth creation strategy.

Sackie likes this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

To be totally honest with you I believe that business is the way to go to create massive wealth (I understand its not for everyone), that's why I have combined real estate investment WITH business to become a real estate developer as well as commercial real estate overseas.

If I had to ONLY view real estate purely from an investment vehicle perspective without the business aspect then perhaps I may also look at other means to speed up the wealth/CF creation part.

I think wealth creation is highly, highly individualised and there is no ONE way for all.

larrylarry likes this.