NSW Sydney - Strathfield vs Eastwood/Epping

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by tarkus, 14th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. tarkus

tarkus New Member

Hi all,

Looking to buy a PPOR $2.5-3.3m range. What do people think about the capital growth in the future in these areas? Strathfield is currently more expensive and appears to be safer due to a major transport hub, however I have a feeling Eastwood/Epping has more room to grow in a 5-10 year timeframe.

Bonus suburbs I'm thinking about - Concord (crazy boom, too expensive for me now), Beecroft

Thanks all

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

That price range gives you a ton of options tho. North shore, for example?

El Patron likes this.
  3. Kevbo

Kevbo Well-Known Member

With a generous budget I would say north shore would be a better choice too.

El Patron likes this.
  4. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Strathfield all the way. Love the train station as it’s like a mini central that takes you in every direction. It has Woolies and nice restaurants. And it’s a 30 min drive to most parts of Sydney.

Do Androids Dream and Spad like this.
  5. tarkus

tarkus New Member

Thanks for the replies.

We'd like to stay more West mainly due to commute. We don't have any kids and not thinking about schools at the moment, other than effect on growth and will revisit this when we have school age kids.

Is it a consensus that the lower North Shore market will grow more than Strathfield and more western suburbs? I think Chatswood perhaps has growth potential, but is very expensive already anywhere near the station.

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Whereabouts do you work?

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Strathfield is the junction for three train lines with fast trains to the cbd/Parramatta, Epping has the Main Northern & Metro lines.
    Chatswood to CBD is a slow train line even with the proximity.

Your money will go a long way in Beecroft.

[d4rk-fr3d] likes this.
  8. Trainee

Really depends on what you want.

north shore has more cache, but more suburban, pretty much must drive everywhere. And transport to western sydney is bad. If you want restaurants and bars, there arent many.

strathfield and epping/eastwood is much livelier, more shops and restaurants and nightlife, and all that comes with it (noise, drunks).

9. Scott No Mates

Keeps those pesky north shore types out of the area :oops:

10. Gockie

I feel like I have the most amazing home in Epping. I would look North shore too for your budget like others have said. Beecroft/Cheltenham is also lovely. A bit less convenient than Epping though with transport. Check out some of their community facebook pages. It has a nice vibe.

Eastwood is very Chinese. Doesn't get the country trains either.

Strathfield has always been very expensive. I think its due to the lot sizes. Nice grand homes though.

For capital growth, I actually don't know what would be the most superior.

Big regular shaped level high land close to station in a nice neighbourhood without negative factors tends to be favoured by many though. Nice views should also be a positive for long term.

Also realise that stamp duty is a lot of money!

11. jaybean

Well North Shore is the current hotness, just like the North West and Eastern suburbs. North Shore has rarely been the #1 default pick the way it has in this thread. The hype will die off eventually as there is nothing inherently better or worse about these areas. They're just the current "in the news" areas.

You aren't hearing fireworks from Strathfield cause it has a large immigrant population and with borders obviously being closed the demand is affected. Don't chase what's trendy right now. Chase what YOU want.

12. jaybean

Then it's Strathfield. In terms of commute I don't think it gets much better than Strathfield, as far as suburban stations go. It's a mini suburban Central station with tracks radiating north, south, east, west. There are also a lot of parallel tracks so when trains break down they don't cause as much havoc as in the northern lines and there's more potential for express lines. And then you've got the metro in 10 years in North Strathfield which isn't a far walk.

[d4rk-fr3d] likes this.
  13. tarkus

tarkus New Member

Thanks all.

I guess the point is we are not thinking of this purchase as a forever home... more to get a foot in the market. My partner will start having some income in 2-3 years and we would probably be looking to upgrade in the next 5-10 years (of course plans may change).

We've been looking at bigger land with older houses etc for this purpose. Obviously we would like to be in a nice house but capital growth is about 60-70% of my concern at the moment.

I'd be willing to go North Shore if it was looking like it has much more growth potential, but I'm not so sure about that.

I like Beecroft as well, but again not sure about growth potential. Also, prices have shot up in the last month and the value proposition is not so good anymore.

Personally I would see Strathfield as a 'safe' choice, with Epping/Eastwood possibly having more growth potential although possibly not. Concord is out of control at the moment and we are essentially priced out, although it probably will have high growth.

14. Gockie

You want to buy a home up to 3.3mill to have a foot in the market???
    My gosh....

15. Scott No Mates

The OP has big feet :p

devank, samiam and bonchovies like this.
  16. tarkus

tarkus New Member

Well, I guess it's more like I'm just somewhat treating it as an investment and would like maximum growth while also being livable, considering PPOR is CGT exempt and I'm too chicken to invest in shares while having a mortgage, might as well use maximum leverage in a tax-free environment.

I am fortunate to be in a situation where my job is fairly secure and the monthly repayments are doable.

wanderer2021 likes this.
  17. D&J

D&J Well-Known Member

And on a single income?! Wow lol

18. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Hows the capital growth going in Epping in this cycle?

19. Trainee

Gut feel says if you dont understand the point of the north shore and have to force yourself to consider it, don’t.

Some dont like the quiet suburbs and prefer livelier places.

20. Gockie

Buyers did very well buying North Epping mid 2019.