Sydney residents demographic. Alot of educated managers.

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Illusivedreams, 24th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Census 2016 reveals a smarter, more professional Sydney

Thus is why I'm struggling to get a tradie in Sydney. We have a lot of mangers and uni - grads.

It's nice to see Sydney is an educated city and excelling.
    I see Sydney a bit like New York.

In some ways this also explains why it's an expensive city.

2. gsim123

gsim123 Member

What trade are you struggling to get? There's been a huge influx of immigrants getting into your traditional lighter trades such as rendering due to smaller start up costs, lighter work etc. But agreed regarding some of the other trades (formwork, carpentry etc.) where the start up costs are much higher, kids out of school aren't keen etc. Absolute pain trying to get a decent formworker who can nail a nail straight these days.

3. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Carpenters and Brickies were the last two.

Carpenters are now asking $80 per hour in Sydney's east.

Brickies $2 per common brick is amazing $3 is starting to show up.

Plumbers are all on $100/hour

Sparkies are similar $100/hour worst is say with downlight it can be a charge per point so say $100 per point you need 9 downlights it can cost $800 or so.

Look its great as the recent Employment numbers showing NSW in the 4% rate.

I want to do an extension at PPR but holding off as some builders haven't even show up to quote for what would be $50/100K job.
    I think in 2 years we will do the job for now wait for the madness to slow down.

But no shortage of work at the moment in Sydney.

4. gsim123

gsim123 Member

80 bucks an hour for a chippy? **** me! Whoever is running the show is making a killing charging 80 an hour and then paying the boys on ABN about 50. Good times to be a tradie!

5. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I doubt it. It seems a bit low to me actually when you take into account business costs including insurance and chasing unpaid bills and unpaid time doing quotes.

6. gsim123

gsim123 Member

Yep, depends on the set-up. E.g. if you have a few boys who can more than hold their own and be sent to a job without needing to be checked up on, 80 is enough to make money on them, if their rate is 50 bucks, that's 30 bucks an hour you make off the back off them. This is assuming you are also working at another job. Factor in cashies and day labour and you're on a winner. There's software out there that can reduce the overall time you spend quoting work. Yeah, chasing up jobs is ****ed, in hindsight 80 doesn't seem crazy in this market, but it's still good money.

7. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Dumb article - says one in four professionals is in Sydney. It has just over 1 in 4 of the people in Australia so it's not really that impressive of a statistic (population of 5 million compared to 24 million nationally)