NSW Sydney rentals - what is the demand like for rentals around middle ring suburbs

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by whacky, 21st May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. whacky

whacky Active Member

I was wondering if some RE agent who lurks here could throw some light on this.

What is the demand for rentals (2br,3Br and 3Br+) around middle-ring suburbs around Sydney? How are they moving?

What kind of applicants do you usually see around these suburbs? What is/are the applicants capacity, household incomes, etc?

Any insight would be helpful

2. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Too broad- you really need to define middle ring specifically and what property types you are referring to houses/townhouses/units. Sydney is a large market and quite segmented

Scott No Mates likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Lakemba & West Ryde are the same distance from the city, both have stations. That's where the similarity end.

4. whacky

whacky Active Member

I am specifically interested in houses/townhouses something with a bit of backyard.

For suburbs,please see the attached image below. I have tried to capture all the suburbs that I think are desirable from our perspective.

[​IMG]

Also Turramurra

5. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

You could rent a dog house in any of those places. The yield will be shocking though at this stage of the cycle. Maybe 2-2.5%

Gladys and Gockie like this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Agree with Biz. Expect a yield no better than 2.5%. On the plus side, your capital value will probably hold (not suffer falls) though.
    For 1.3m though you'll typically be looking at something like a townhouse, unless you look at Rydalmere (and maybe Dundas?) which is at the very south-western edge of your image.

7. whacky

whacky Active Member

How quickly do properties with rent $40k ($800 pw) or $52K ($1000) move? If they are moving quickly, then what kind of tenants(demography,household incomes) can I expect. I prefer renting it out to families. If families are gobbling up rentals so quickly, then my next question is what is the average household income in Sydney if every tom/dick/harry family can afford $52K rent!!!

8. Gockie

Remember how bad the yields are.... are you really thinking of buying something costing ~$1.8mill or more to get $800+ a week rent? Because that's what I'm afraid you are looking at.
    You'll get better rental yields in apartments.

9. Gockie

Ps. I can get those rents you mention, with a 1br apartment near the city. I do it via Airbnb. That is lot cheaper to buy. (700k now but they used to be cheaper).

10. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Why do you want to rent to families? Families will thrash your house. Target DINKS. They are generally at work or enjoying a social life so they are not always home putting wear and tear on the property. Generally more disposable income too.

Either way you're crackers buying an ip in Sydney at the moment.

Gladys likes this.
  11. Gockie

And if you still want to push ahead even after what's been written.... have a look at sqm research for vacancy rates. But it doesn't break the vacancies down to houses vs. apartments though IIRC.

12. Gockie

Ps. @whacky... are you around here? Tomorrow night is a meetup at Wenty Leagues. Look in the meetups section.

13. whacky

whacky Active Member

I am not too concerned with yields as I am parking cash. DINKS would rarely rent a 3Br+2Bath+backyard even if they do they don't stick around. I prefer someone with family, they will likely stay longer (3+years minimum). Hence, my questions around demography and household incomes. My ideal tenant/family would have kids and a household income greater than 250K.

But I keep questioning myself, why would a household with 250k income rent something like this: 51 Bobbin Head Road Turramurra NSW 2074 - House for Rent #420904818 - realestate.com.au ??
    95% of the time they would already have a mortgage.

14. whacky

whacky Active Member

90% of the apartments built in the last 5 years, in my opinion, are not of good quality. I could be wrong but that is I believe :)

Gladys likes this.
  15. whacky

whacky Active Member

I am not looking to extract those rents. Cursory browse on realestate.com.au suggests that is the ballpark figure for a type of house I am interested in (i.e. 3Br+2Bath+backyard)

16. whacky

whacky Active Member

Do you get consistent $700 pw via AirBnb?? What is your occupancy rate over a year?

17. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Happy to take 2% yield.

Concerned about vacancy rate.

fols and Ramos023 like this.
  18. Gockie

Airbnb income is more like $850 a week, with 90% occupancy because I don't really try to fill 1 night gaps between bookings. $700k is a fairly typical purchase price for that sort of property. (There's been recent capital growth. )

19. Gockie

Professionals migrating to Australia from overseas. Ps. Its really hard to find a rental if you are a family with pets.

20. whacky

whacky Active Member

If I get an idea what moves and what does not move, I could possibly strike a good deal when buying.