NSW Sydney Progressiveness

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Chabs, 4th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, it seems that there seems to be common sentiments on what is happening to Sydney. Am I correct in assuming that Sydney will have "hotzones" with high rise, blue collar jobs, easy transport access and community facilities, these seem to be earmarked as (descending from hottest to coolest): Parramatta, Liverpool, Penrith, Blacktown, Ryde/Macquarie, Bankstown, Chatswood.

Going by what I can see happening, Blacktown has always felt like a little Parramatta, Blacktown today feels like Parramatta about 10-15 years ago. Interestingly Blacktown has a swathe of the CBD area that is literally bare land, waiting for development. Blacktown will also have the best overall access to the heaviest growth areas (north west, south west & Parramatta west) out of all the "hotzones". For these reasons industrial/commercial around Blacktown seem very attractive to me.

Liverpool seems to be in a long term game but 2nd fastest growing place after Blacktown. I see investing in or around Liverpool as one of the few areas in Sydney that are still viable to invest in today, assuming you're getting land and the location is on point. This is of course, assuming you're playing the long term "buy to sell" game.

Penrith strikes me as a bit of a dark horse. The region makes me think of a slightly more bogan sutho shire, but it's gentrifying the most rapidly out of all the future hotzones in my opinion. Its also got some respectable growth and investment being poured in and is the geographical "most west" regional centre in Sydney.

The Ryde and Macquarie part of Sydney seem to be already doing well, I see future growth in these areas as stable as well. I wonder how these areas will compare to the 3 aforementioned powerhouses when it comes to potential though.

Bankstown is an area with excellent location but the infrastructure around it (in terms of roads) does not look to be improving too much very soon. Its also got some notoriety, and this might hold it back somewhat.

Chatswood is remarkably annoying to reach, and the traffic there can be really over the top! I'd like to hear more opinions on Chatswood but I am most certainly not the biggest fan.

Tekoz and WattleIdo like this.
  2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Agree with a lot of what you say here Chabs. Definitely Penrith has been gentrifying forma while and plans look attractive. A good hub for the mountains folk and it's just a nice area. When there was a thread about the 3rd cbd I was surprised that Penrith wasn't discussed more.
    Liverpool has so much potential.Would be good to keep an eye on this place.
    Bankstown has a weird train line as well as difficult difficult road networks. But a cbd to lots of people. Used to work there and despite notoriety, I think it will go far. Hope they can tidy up access at some point.
    So strange to see Ryde Macquarie becoming something big. I knew it when it was paddocks - before the first MacDonalds.
    Chatswood - agree. Pacific Highway continues to be a nightmare. It's had it's days of mind boggling growth, I'd say.
    Is Blacktown the fastest growing cbd or Parra?

3. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Hi Wattle thanks for the input, Bankstown has potential for sure, it'll be interesting to see how the future train line improvements affect the growth in the area.

Not as a cbd, but rather as a region, Blacktown has the largest population in Sydney of any region, its population (~300k people) is larger than the entire population of the Northern Territory! If I remember correctly, its also been the fastest growing in recent years. Considering only 18 years ago the CBD was quite literally old houses that were abused by the owners and houses were going for 40-70k (or so I hear), it has improved the most dramatically so far in my opinion!

As for cbd, I would assume Parramatta is much faster growing, it goes without saying that Parramatta is gonna run 2nd fiddle to the cbd

4. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Blacktown perhaps has more space to grow - perhaps with rezoning? It's been an ugly-duckling for years and can do with some renewal. It will also serve as a major commercial hub for the newer suburbia forming out at Mardsen Park and Riverstone / Schofields.

It was mentioned on the news tonight that the remaining land near the new Norwest Private Hospital is now set to be developed. This site at Bella Vista has been a vacant site for years. A little far from the NWRL so not really a great location.

5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I remember when I was buying in Harris Park - so uncool - a colleague's son was buying in Blacktown at the same time. She was fretting because it was 'so far out' - a definite no-no for so long. That youngish man would be sitting pretty now. He bought at the right time and hasn't looked back at all.
    I wonder whether Blacktown cbd would be an affordable way to get into the action? Now we're giving away our secrets.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not sure if the new Blacktown LEP 2014 has been gazetted - lots of cbd rezoning to 15m IIRC

7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Sorry?

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

WattleIdo likes this.
  9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Team Riff here! Definitely an underdog and things are happening quickly out there over the last 3 or so years. Plenty of gentrification in the cbd and business areas. its long been shat on and stuck with a nothing sort of area tag but council and local businesses are doing well working together to get things happening. its giving itself the tag of adventure capital, whitewater rafting, indoor skydiving, and some other stuff i cant think of ;)
    A few trendy cafes and restaurants are starting to open which the area has been screaming for, for years but also means the bogan tag is starting to lift and locals want more than just franchises.

10. wombat777

11. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Penrith would be my pick for an investment. Good CG to be had with all the new infrastructure coming in to Werrington by the University, also St Mary's is going to be a key station for a direct link to the new airport. Lots of jobs to be created in the next few years. Proximity wise, Penrith offers a good lifestyle being so close to the blue mountains and still possible to commute if need be. Properties generally yield pretty well here also which always helps the old portfolio.

12. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Things are underway out west! And I always thought everything south of the m4 was a write off ;)

Daniel007 and WattleIdo like this.
  13. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

You'd think all of this has been factored into the growth..

14. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

I'd say Blacktown would get the ripple effect from Parramatta in the next 5-10 years ahread be it a 3rd CBD or not.

Sackie likes this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I think its very possible. We bought back in 2011 for 350k and today its valued double. I reckon in 5-10 years will be past the million mark easy.

House, skuzy and ej89 like this.
  16. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Its already got a ripple effect. All these things are factored in imo. Prices in Parra and Blacktown have factored in whats happening in Parramatta

17. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

:cool: Nice one @Leo2413 last two weeks ago, there were some old fibro house in Blacktown auctioned successfully for $570k I thought that is already expensive for the area.

Maybe you are right in the next 10 years it could be like Parramatta.

Sackie likes this.
  18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

hope so..;)

19. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Liverpool reminds me of what parra used to be 10 yrs ago

WattleIdo likes this.
  20. wombat777

bob shovel likes this.