NSW Sydney - PPOR - <1.4m

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Wattle, 24th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Wattle

Wattle Active Member

Looking for a PPOR, max 1.4m within 40min commute of Wynyard. Currently thinking a house 3bed/2bath/1car (2bed/1bath is ok) with some land (c250m2 or more) and possibilities of future extension/value add.
    I had considered a 2-3 bed apartment when I was initially aiming for a 30 min or less commute, but decided future growth/land was worth sacrificing some convenience for in the short run. I have no real restrictions north/south/east or west. I’m currently thinking best bet is near the following stations, Arncliffe/Banksia (Illawarra line), Bardwell Park, Turella (South line) or Dulwich Hill, Hurlstone Park, Canterbury (Liverpool line). Ashfield or Croydon also seems possible and have also considered something near West Ryde/Denistone.

Any views on best bets considering future growth potential as well as ticking off commute and travel requirements would be appreciated.

I also did consider closer to Parramatta, like Wentworth Park but I was already extending past what I wanted to commute so put a line through that, although thought that would probably be the best considering level of infrastructure spend and development happening.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

My alternate to buying is just holding off for the next 6 months to get a better gauge on how sustained this recovery driven by lower interest rates are and assessing corona impacts on broader industry, confidence etc . I’m seeing a lot of FOMO buying out there and don’t want to get caught up in this type of thinking.......

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Isn't Wentworth Park near Annadale? (about 3 km from the CBD)?

3. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Arncliffe west could be good if you want a decent long term land play. @ that price, can probably get an old home, on decent lot. Reading Bayside LSPS, should have some zoning changes to match the eastern side of Arncliffe over the next 5 years. Not sure as a PPOR area to live though - has some cons compared to the other areas noted (but IMO would do well as a longer term IP given the above).

Wattle likes this.
  4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

close to airport is good in many ways too though, and not far from Motorway hubs

Changed HEAPS in the last 20 yrs

ta

rolf

5. Wattle

Wattle Active Member

Sorry meant Wentworthville

6. The Grinch

The Grinch Well-Known Member

Baulkham hills is worth a look imo, buses right into the cbd

Never giveup likes this.
  7. Wattle

Wattle Active Member

Thanks - looking more so place to live now and if all things equal will consider growth. I just don’t know much about those areas. So useful insight!

8. KT_Blues

KT_Blues Member

Is commute your only requirement? Are schools, neighbors, community important? Is type of house important? I personally find all the areas you have listed very crowded and dirty. However Illawara Line out of all of these is closest to the beach. In close proximity to hospital, airport and ikea. There is a lot of development in this area. Whole princess highway has been OKed to knockdown old houses and replace with apartment blocks. Which generally mean there will be initial infrastructure issue like not enough shops, schools but eventually it will be built. There is also airplane noise in that area, but beautiful views. I have a property in Banksia that I lived in for few years. It's hilly and some places have great views where you can see airport or brighton-le-sands. It will take you like 20 minutes to get to martin place and walk to wynard. But you said you are OK with 40 minutes, so I would suggest looking somewhere further, like Oatley, Como, Miranda, Sutherland (express train 30 minutes). These areas are not over crowded, clean, green, many has either bay or river, close to schools and have great community spirit.

9. L_auren

L_auren Well-Known Member

You'd be hard pressed to get a house with that criteria in Ashfield or Croydon nowadays. But if you do, there are many lovely tree lined streets in these suburbs (and Inner West Council has recently planted new trees all around Ashfield's streets which will improve the streetscape long term) and you're never too far away from a nice park or a good primary school. Access to the rest of Sydney is super convenient, in all directions.

10. Wattle

Wattle Active Member

Thanks. I haven’t looked into potential rezoning etc, keeping it pretty high level at the moment. Basic travel time as main measure of appeal.

11. Wattle

Wattle Active Member

I’ve never been a bus person and don’t have a clear map of routes to consider most bus places (apart from Lane Cove - which I ruled out pretty quickly from a house perspective) - thanks will look into Baulkham

12. Wattle

Wattle Active Member

Thanks for the different perspective. School, neighbours, community is less defining factor at this stage as I have assumed unless there are areas significantly bad with respect to these (which I don’t think any of the places mentioned are) I am not too fussed. I have been recommended Oatley by a couple of people but really don’t want to distance wise that far away from the city, even thought daily commute may be similar given fast train. I do understand your point around clean green, for now happy to put this to a side to get a bit more convenience. I do see lots more supply coming on the market within my requirements so hoping to snap up something soon.

13. Wattle

Wattle Active Member

Agreed, I think it’s at the cusp of the market, it would have to be a smaller block and perhaps not as done up place to get something under 1.4m. I do like the convenience but do personally think the slightly more southern lines have a nicer vibe/feel about the suburb itself, even if less convenient or central. I’ve never lived in either but just gauging on weekend visits and coffee/brunch stops.

14. Blueshoes99

Blueshoes99 Well-Known Member

Cherrybrook, castle hill area is growing you’ll be able to get a large house for 1.4. They’ve got transport, good schools, castle towers (will be the biggest shopping centre in NSW) and in the future you’ll be able to get into barangaroo in 40 mins on train.

np999, Wattle and The Grinch like this.
  15. Never giveup

Never giveup Well-Known Member

+1 for Baulkham hills, castle hill, WPH close to M2

Wattle, hash_investor and The Grinch like this.
  16. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

1.4 for a large house in cherrybrook? Maybe termite infested and under powerlines.

The Grinch likes this.
  17. Blueshoes99

Blueshoes99 Well-Known Member

yeh cherry is pretty pricey but there were houses sold around that price. Some off-market. Just have to look really hard nowadays.

The market has moved so fast...

18. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

How did you go? Parramatta Satellite suburbs will get you an old brick and tile for $1,000,000 and may be a decent house for $1,400,000

Wattle likes this.
  19. GBay

GBay Member

I've been looking in Arncliffe recently but don't know much about the area. I'm finding it strange that Bexley, Kogarah, Bardwell park open homes, which seem just as nice but are further from the city, seem to be getting a lot more interest. Is there some reason Arncliffe might not be as desirable? Any reasons you'd go for those other areas in the St George area first?

20. Moltzerman

Moltzerman Well-Known Member

Arncliffe is known to have some crime/gang issues, though I suspect it has gotten better. There's alot of traffic around there which makes it noisier too in addition to some airplane noise. Like Redom has pointed out, parts of Arncliffe will benefit from a rezoning uplift anticipated in the near future.

Bexley and Bardwell Park are quieter family-oriented suburbs with large sized block homes. If you're looking for leafy, low-density living close to the CBD, I would definitely look for these areas, or Earlwood (if you can afford the higher price).

[d4rk-fr3d] and Wattle like this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.