Sydney Not Stacking Up..Young moving to Melbourne

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by sash, 12th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I heard on the grapevine that the priced out bogans and housos in the Druie have been looking at places like Barrack Heights and Tenambit to place their roots;)

RetireRich101 likes this.
  2. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong - great for cashflow

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Speaking of Melb, my wife not too long ago worked on a $200,000,000+ deal with a developer and investors who are going to build some massive residential high end units there. A lot of money going into that place.

4. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Yes perfect. You've conveyed my point more elequently than I was able to! At the end of the day, I hope we all win

EN710 and Sackie like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

People (many on here) who sacrifice so much and put their blood, sweat and tears into building a better future with unyielding courage. I wish everyone all the best. No sour grapes here.

Last edited: 13th Jul, 2017
  6. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

:( this is my worry. Keeping my Sydney apartment for this reason.[/QUOTE]

Don't stress.... Melbourne is an amazing place to live....just make sure you get the biggest solar unit possible for your pool!!!!

EN710 likes this.
  7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Don't stress.... Melbourne is an amazing place to live....just make sure you get the biggest solar unit possible for your pool!!!![/QUOTE]
    Might not have pool for a long time, moving cost is a killer! And PM just called my 5 mins ago - one IP got HWS unit stolen.
    I'm considering your swimspa option seriously but might not be this year Fastlane Pool Swim Spas | Small Swim Spa | Fitness Spas | Fastlane Pool Spas
    On a different note, I still go to public pool and the beach during winter here so maaaaybe I'll be ok in Melb :)

Natedog likes this.
  8. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

u seem to take it personally, why?

9. Gypsyblood

Gypsyblood Well-Known Member

I know of two families working in retail in Sydney that literally moved to Melbourne as they couldn't afford a home of their own there! They miss Sydney terribly though!

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Huh? No just based upon people i know who've moved and friends of friends.

sanj likes this.
  11. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Fair enough, read it wrongly. Apologies

12. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Ditto...the old motto...put up or.....

13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Great...send them that way.........I have some Ocean front property in Arizoner to sell them.....;)

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I have some lovely properties in North Dakota...cough cough....

15. sash

sash Well-Known Member

let me guess in mine subsidence or near oil rigs??

16. JesseT

JesseT Well-Known Member

You do realize most of Logan doubled in value from 2002-2005?

17. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Absolute rubbish @sash there is no money to be made from H&L in Melbourne... my two purchases in Rockbank earlier this year at $149k and $163k are not now selling for $200k. That's not almost $100k increase on $30k deposits with still around 12 months of potential growth left before I have to settle.

I have not experienced $1m price growth on 5 properties valued at $2.75 and costing $1.73m in Beaconsfield and Pakenham over the last 2 years.

Not to mention the many many package and flip deals I haven't made $30+k on each.

Yep nothing to see here. No money in H&L...

Edit: not looking to blow my trumpet but for the peeps that say I could have done this or better in established suburbs blah blah and show me the stats blah blah, I started with $50k equity around 3 years, so no I can't possibly see a way I could have done this in established.

Last edited: 13th Jul, 2017
  18. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Well, I think Sydney is in for some down time, Mel maybe too in many places.

There is no problem if you have bought before this cycle, who cares ? But those who have bought recently, paid top dollar and on 2-3% return could be in real strife......

I know people who have already lost money buying this cycle, they wont be alone & when they sell, they will realise the loss, not everyone does things the way many posters here may & that is the thing, just how many are holding now who may have to sell, then add in the lending changes for those who are on the edge, there would seem to me to be plenty of potential to have a pull back or flat period.

19. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

I actually think Sydney will hold a bit, only because now Australia has opened up to Asia, and rich people in Asia thinks Australia's house prices are cheap in comparison of their mega cities (e.g. Shanghai, Beijing, Hong Kong etc) and will continue to migrate and buy properties. A lot of them still look for lifestyle, or send their kids to school here to learn English. Even if house price drop, it would be only small percentage.

Also too many Sydneysiders are too scared to sell their properties, once they sell them and leave, they actually couldn't come back to Sydney without some kind of downgrade in property. The stamp duty is just too prohibitive.

Melbourne is going to be the most populated city in Australia and has great momentum with tons of people moving in daily. Right now I still think Melbourne is best potential for capital growth, especially anything close to the city itself.

Sackie, Iamnumber5, Serveman and 2 others like this.
  20. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Guys, it's 13C in Sydney, and probably cooler in Melbourne. It's a bit cold to flop it out and show me what you got.
    No one said in this post that you can't make money in H&L Melbourne. no one. period