Sydney Not Stacking Up..Young moving to Melbourne

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by sash, 12th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Gypsyblood, sanj and Skilled_Migrant like this.
  2. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    You'll have been banging this drum that's for sure!

RetireRich101 likes this.
  3. werdna

werdna Well-Known Member

4. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Piston_Broke, skater and Ben_j like this.
  5. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

In a couple of years after Melbourne median passes $1M they'll dust off that article & rework to say Sydney & Melbourne too expensive forcing people to ........

MikeyBallarat, WattleIdo and ndpjai like this.
  6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

They'll be back - they always come back - usually with their tail between their legs. For every person who's had enough of Sydney's astronomical prices, traffic, etc. I can show you a dozen people who've left only to pine to come back, and be priced out indefinitely (after selling up to leave).

There's a reason why Sydney's expensive.

Add to that, the array of infrastructure projects happening a the moment. Prior to say, 2010, there was a dearth of improvements to the city. It's finally woken up.

7. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Maybe it'll come a point where Sydney becomes an empty burger in terms of age brackets - oldies who own their places outright as the upper bun, and young professionals on high salary at the bottom who can handle the higher rent and splurge.

Dave3214 likes this.
  8. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

people need to learn to bloom where they are planted.

9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Melbourne is catching up....places like Werribee/Melton may see a 5 in front!

Hoppers Crossing...Craigieburn may see a 6 in front.....go ya good thing....that would mean 200-400% gains for me!

aussie1 and Cactus like this.
  10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yeah I know....it all about smashed windows not Avocadoes.....a new trend which is starting to take shape in places like the The Druie....Lizzie...and Logan....a sign of de-gentrifcation. :)

11. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Have seen anecdotal evidence of this in quite a few offices especially call centres...did not realize it was a trend...even from newcastle same story, migrating young prefer mel to syd

12. sash

sash Well-Known Member

This is a recent thing...before people from overseas looked at Sydney but word has got around how expensive Sydney is ...that is getting people to look at places like Melbourne ..Brisbane and even Perth over Sydney.

I know people who came to Sydney ...became frustrated with getting ahead in Sydney and moved to Canberra ...Melbourne.....

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

14. Skilled_Migrant

It's just common sense...dollar goes further...45 minutes you are in CBD from werribee (regular train service ;))...rental is 350 per week for 3BR...shared among 3 people...a lot leftover for the avocados....better coffee...

Danny370z likes this.
  15. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep...and not as many smashed windows...but lots of mashed spiced potatoes for all the subcontinent types moving into the area.

Who know......some from the Druie maybe making a beeline for there......wonder which suburbs in Wyndham will hit the $1m mark.....might not be this cycle but it will happen at some stage....maybe Werribee Sth?

Danny370z and Ben_j like this.
  16. Northboy

Northboy Well-Known Member

And I'm one of them! I'll be heading down to Melbourne to start my new job at the end of August, and I'm rather excited. I always loved Sydney, but I am ****** with how ridiculous the property prices are, so that's a big motivator for me. As an inner-city apartment dweller, Melb is a lot more compelling. I'm renting in Syd and plan to keep renting in Melb for a while. I'll be able to get a place on my own for the same rent I pay sharing with a flatty up here.

I also own 2 IPs in Brissie and Adelaide. I'd be disappointed, even if I end up owning property in Melbourne, if it continues shooting the lights out and matches Sydney on prices. I just don't think it's a good thing. I'd much rather see slow and steady growth, so that everyone can get into the market at some stage.

Gypsyblood and Realist35 like this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Long term demand in Sydney will always be super strong. Don't kid yourself. Does that mean you invest in Sydney now? Doesn't mean that at all. But if we're talking about long term prospects for Sydney, the demand will continue to be very strong for obvious reasons. And there will always be 'rich' enough people to keep up that demand. I've seen the same thing in other more expensive markets than Sydney around the world. There are a lot of people with money out there who want to live in the most action packed cities on earth.

I laugh when I hear people saying surely Sydney prices wont get any more expensive moving forward. Let's see where prices are in the next 10 years :D

Poppy, Iamnumber5, Gypsyblood and 8 others like this.
  18. Skilled_Migrant

Thankfully not...or we all would still be swinging from our tails in central Africa munching Bananas...evolution is seeped in migration...

19. nswvic

nswvic Member

Choose where you want to live, then find a job, no matter how long it takes; or

Move to the state where you are more likely to be offered a job you like?

WattleIdo likes this.
  20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Lol, probably the opposite at this time of the cycle

Last edited: 13th Jul, 2017