Sydney/Melbourne: Property plunge ‘like GFC’ - John McGrath

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Pete Arendt, 21st Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

Perth? Adelaide?

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

ok, im going to throw in a bit of different question,
    lets assume the property market collapses, not talking about armageddom, but very significantly,

most property investors on here are saying, all this D/G talk is norm at this point in time (which im not disagreeing with), and that this is all normal, and the catastrophe never happens,

lets assume it does, so in hindsight , what would fellow expert investors say
    "oops I got it wrong"
    "this was just the one in a million that happened"
    "the warning signals were there and we ignored it"

Im guilty of this as well, but often im thinking to myself, the worst case scenario cannot happen, and that most people are overreacting and that only the level headed ones will come out as winners

3. DrunkSailor

DrunkSailor Well-Known Member

I believe Melbourne will tank harder than Sydney because it’s less desirable and there’s less money floating around. It also went through 3 booms since the 90s whilst Sydney only experienced 2.

Melbourne has the lowest yields in the country and is 4% more overvalued than Sydney according to SQM. So if you think Sydney is bubbly then Melbourne is worse according to SQM.

This might explain why Melbourne is declining so fast according the corelogic daily index. It’s only been 3 months and it’s already down -4.37% yoy.

4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Also possibilites. I will go where the numbers stack up.