NSW Sydney Lower North Shore - Why low capital gains?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by standtall, 7th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

upload_2016-8-22_22-2-27.png upload_2016-8-22_22-12-34.png

Sometimes it just isn't possible to live in your most expensive property - this place was uninhabitable, the others on this block are worse.

Check out the increases in land values on these ones - treble in 5 years.

Attached Files:

House likes this.
  2. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Wow. You should just sell it for massive profit and buy a nice property that way.

3. Scott No Mates

@kamchatsky

These properties are under contract on a very delayed settlement - they have each received $Xm as the deposit, which has been released, waiting on installment no. 2 which is about the same amount. Then 12 months to settlement.

None of this 1% deposit for an option. The owners wanted skin, blood and a bit of bone too from the developer - and they got it.

Tattler and larrylarry like this.
  4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

As @Scott No Mates said - the unit stock in Artarmon is mostly quite old ... small walk up blocks of units with no services or amenities, and not much redevelopment happening in the area right now (all the action has been in Chatswood and Lane Cove and is now moving back to St Leonards ... Channel 9 site notwithstanding).

Scott No Mates likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Technically Artarmon but on the border of Willoughby.

Last edited by a moderator: 23rd Aug, 2016
  6. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

Off what price base?. The Lower North shore was more pricey to begin. I would say that the likes of Blacktown, Liverpool, Lakemba, also show a larger percentage growth due to two reasons.
    1) As the fridges of Sydney expand even further west, these areas become more "central".
    2) General gentrification of these areas over time, means they experience more percentage grow from a previously lower price base.

7. Obsidian

Obsidian Well-Known Member

When is the last time you were over the bridge, inner westy :). Plenty of trees left (better than the Inner West). That's why they call it the leafy north shore. I can go 5mins just of Wollstonecraft train station, and feel like I'm in a national park (see below).
    Plenty of breaches, and if you really want, it's a short trip to Bondi, etc. Good kayaking at Middle Harbour and Pittwater. Rail, the trains run every 3-5mins to city on the northern line, who cares about the number of lines. You have to look at a time table, I just show up, and the next train is there.
    [​IMG]

8. Scott No Mates

Whilst they are cheaper areas by comparison, it is due to price inequality and temporary disparity (popularity). These locations will play catch-up & will increase at a greater rate than the adjoining areas.

9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Gees thats unbelievable! $2m land val for 480sqm in Rhodes. Are you sure thats right? The rated land val on a 600sqm block in Mosman wouldn't even be that much.

10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

The price disparity SHOULD get back to a more rational level. I suspect this means that the fringe outer west suburbs will drop back to more sane levels if/when the crunch comes.

11. Scott No Mates

Sure is correct @Lacrim. Nor will you get a VPA for 30+ storeys in Mosman either.

12. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

I looked at that land valuation certificate and just shook my head.
    The average salary in Sydney is $80k.

So the only imaginative thing the liberal Goverment could think of to bring in foreign income is to open up the gates and let foreign millionaires buy up Sydney so that Australians would sell their properties and move out to other areas and buy there?

Right now I am regretting that I never bought in Sydney, sure I am but never in my life would I have expected the Goverment to do something so desperately stupid and perform such treason. Let me assure you that the people coming to Australia now under those visas have their heads screwed on and are super intelligent and influential. Within 15 years time you will see what they can do.

Last edited by a moderator: 28th Aug, 2016
    Dean Collins and Brickbybrick like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Lucky owner:) now that is what I call buying for Growth

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am regretting I did not buy more in Syd, what was I thinking. OK, I purchased in Melb booming market, but am developing, more work required.

Sydney, could have sat on my hands and thrown a dart.

15. Cia

Cia Well-Known Member

I have a unit on the lower north shore and living in the inner west due to school needs. The units on the LNS do have much higher strata fees than those in the inner west. Typically over $1K per quarter (mine is $1155) unlike the inner west which are usually under $750 per quarter - so you need higher salaries in order to live there and pay the ongoing costs. That isn't including rates & water either and will be much more like $1500+ if theres a lift, pool or other facilities.

16. Scott No Mates

More like sheer luck & determination. All of the owners who bought have held their properties for years - jusy got lucky with the rezoning then spent $×00,000 on design and planners to increase the fsr, negotiate with council over successive contributions then a VPA.

I know that the block has sold (unconditional ) but I had been following the process since 2008ish.

Tattler and MTR like this.
  17. CosmicTrevor

CosmicTrevor Well-Known Member

North Shore envy me thinks. As for the comments about lack of trees, poor train service and no decent beaches - wtf??

A few trees here and here

and not so many here

Same zoom level, Just saying.

Maybe I'll go to one of the poor quality beaches to get away from all the trees, oh wait there are too many dang trees there as well. Maybe I could take a dip in a reservoir instead.

As for the way people speak, I could make the same stereotyped comment about people in other areas of Sydney, but I won't bother with the prejudice.

Yeah and that train line, its so bad, trains every 15 minutes in any direction. Its almost 3rd world.

Traffic wise I agree the Pacific Highway is a nightmare, but seriously, suggesting that the inner West, outer West, Eastern suburbs or South is any better is deluded.

Cia likes this.
  18. Ald

Ald Well-Known Member

Is this the new border immigration policy? Make Sydney so expensive that nobody can afford to live there this forcing everyone new into Brisbane Adelaide and Perth?

Is this the way that liberals stopped the retiree boomers revolting against them by making them rich?

Nobody who lives and works in Australia can afford Sydney anymore. Nobody who arrived here in the last 12 years can even keep up.

Malcolm Turnbull better start some high tech manufacturing of robots or electric vehicles or else we are screwed

19. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Well done and congratulations! These B4 lands are what those developers want, being at Rhodes where it is all about high rises!

You have literally have squeezed blood out of stone from them!