Sydney is ranked 8 in the world's most dynamic city (with Melb in #18)

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by inspiredbyprop, 19th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. inspiredbyprop

inspiredbyprop Well-Known Member

New report on the dynamism of the world’s cities rates Sydney and Melbourne

I particularly like this statement "Clearly, downtown [Sydney] is important but Badgerys Creek, Liverpool and Parramatta, that’s the diamond triangle for the future of Sydney."

But then, at the back of my mind, the broadband connection in and around Parramatta is sh** with no NBN rollout in near future!!!

Also I don't see how Sydney can move up the rank in the future. May be down the list, it's totally based on more ugly buildings being built in the area!

2. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

There's a huge gap between Sydney/Toronto and NYC/London/HK/Tokyo. And I'd argue there's a huge gap between these 4 and Singapore/Paris anyway.

The only one of that list that's moving up to big leagues any time soon is Shanghai. The smart money should be snapping up Shanghai property next decade, if we believe China is retaking its traditional position in the world as top 2 powers.

3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Id generaĺly agree with the rankings although i dont know how they measured 'momentum' and 'dynamism'.

Agree that brisbane is in middle of pack because of lower presence of large asx/global companies. This has long been a real issue for brisbane , but as the article rightly points out the longer term fundamentals for brisbane look very promising and this issue shohld be gradually corrected as pop increases and foreign investment comes in...started about 3-5 years back and continuing. .but still a way to go to play with the big feĺlas regarding big name jobs. On the right track though...
    Ps..how bout that pic of the babe taking a selfie at bondi with that storm approaching lol...that is the real reason to invest in sydney :)

4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

For me the buy signal will be when they stop using squat toilets.

teg499 likes this.
  5. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Haha I think Shanghai has generally stopped using that.

6. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Absolutely crap yield though. Bought an older unit in an area within a decent school intake for $880k RMB around 3 years ago, now worth $1.7mil RMB on a bad day but expect yield to be around the 2% mark. Tempted to flog it off and buy something in Hongkers instead but it hasn't quite reached the bottom there yet with equally crap yield and this JLL article reinforced she's right and I'm wrong about selling it :mad: