Sydney is not as un-affordable?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Noobieboy, 2nd Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Sydney is affordable?

1. Very affordable

6 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. Somewhat affordable

16 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. Neither

5 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. Somewhat unaffordable

21 vote(s)
    24.4%
  5. Very unaffordable

38 vote(s)
    44.2%
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

If you were highly leveraged in shares or derivatives it would have been pretty easy I reckon.

2. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Agree. But the keyword was high flying banker you would assume a person in that position would have appropriate risk mitigation strategies.

3. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

No just leave your sense of entitlement at the door .
    As a migrant I simply didn't have the entitlement some do.

So yes I'm greatful my parents made it to Australia.

4. Illusivedreams

A person in India works hard.
    He or she doesn't care for your expectations or Entitlements.

In a decentralized fast globalising world These hungry 3,000,000,000 people are coming for it. They are aspiring they working and they have no sense of entitlement.

House likes this.
  5. Noobieboy

While I see a lot in your posts, a word of caution. There were always more hungry than rich, there were almost more hardworking folks than “entitled “, since the Roman times. It’s not hard work that creates wealthy nations.

It’s lack of systemic corruption, activist population, skeptic mindsets and entrepreneurial flair. Countries that have it prosper. Countries that become corrupt, where tax evasion flourishes, where people think about “me” more than “us” fail. Greece, Roman Empire and many more are historical examples.

Sometimes sense of entitlement is counterproductive. Sense of entitlement to strong governance, independent juridical powers and sense of entitlement to keep government accountable is an entirely different thing.

Illusivedreams and berten like this.
  6. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

India's population is actually 1.3 billion and probably 90% of them will be lucky to leave their own state, let alone make it over the vast ocean to Australia.

This is a discussion about Australian wages, Australian cost of living and Australian (specifically Sydney in this thread) house prices. It's not "entitlement", it's a factual discussion. Pakistan, Timbuktu and Mars are really irrelevant. Bringing it up as a serious point makes you seem more out of touch rather than the reverse.

7. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

I was discussing this article with a friend and we both agreed there are facts missing (perhaps divorce / separation)

No mention of the mother of the child in that article.

Nice house on the beach would have had a massive mortgage in the lead up to the GFC with interest rates heading to 9%.

You can then start to see how he finds himself in trouble.

8. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

This might actually be more true for australia - I know so many Sydney people who have never been to Melbourne or Brisbane. Step outside your comfort zone and not everyone is well travelled or even travelled!

With regards to india, religious pilgrimages are a major part of all three major religions there which means atleast once in their life everyone gets to take a cross country trip of some sort.

9. Illusivedreams

I was grouping the countries I mentioned.

You may not care.
    But they are working from their home countries and they are migrating here.

We can't look at Australia in isolation those days are gone.

10. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Very hard to happen unless u have low immigration and insulated country like sweden or netherlands with largely similarly raced/religion aligned society.

11. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

It pays quite well to be a tradie/electricians then be an engg/phd scientist in oz.

Imagine wasting a decent part of your 20is studying hard and still remain behind in wages almost forever then the other friend from your class who was not so bright in studies, didn't make it to uni and still gets paid far higher then you.

12. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I really think Australia is a very lucky country in the fact that if you want to work hard and make a better life, it's possible. In saying that, quite a few of my tradie friends are already debt free with the house paid off and passive income from their businesses. It's a good thing that they are humble, hard working people.

Angel likes this.
  13. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

That cant be further from truth. Do you know how much good doctors and lawyers make in this country? There will be some tradies making more money than office workers but you have to be really good at your trade to make more money than below average office workers.

Good surgeons easily make over a million dollar in yearly income - up to $20,000 for a day's work at times. Good GPs make $300k plus on average.

14. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

I was talking about non IT engg/phd research scientist not medical doctors/surgeons.

how much do mechanical/civil engg make?
    how much phd research scientists make?
    I could do a five week course and be an MB and potentially earn more then what a research scientists make after years of studies.

my point was salary wise non uni tafe/apprenticed is not far worse off then the brilliant uni educated engg/scientist in the class.

Where I came from higher professional degree was the only way out to get a decent salary if you are a plumber/electrician/tradie you are stuffed aka there is a permanent educational class system, That's not the case in Australia.

let see what the coming wave of automation does to Aussie jobs, its an interesting period we are entering.

Last edited: 19th Feb, 2019
  15. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Is it the school or demographics? I doubt any amount of resources thrown at a bad school would see big changes in results. The ‘good’ schools are now just a cluster of like minded parents with a focus on their children’s education, poor teaching would likely have minimal impact as strong support at home and tutoring is what is achieving these results

16. Noobieboy

Singapore is an immigrant nation, yet very successful. Netherlands has almost 20% immigrant population mostly Turkish and Kurdish. Australia, Canada and NZ are immigrant nations as well. Immigration and race do not necessary have anything to do with being prosperous and not corrupt.

Botswana, African state surrounded by corrupt failed states. Yet an examples of solid, democratic and low corruption nation. Race or religion are not a variable.

TheSackedWiggle likes this.
  17. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Had lunch with a good friend whose son has finished internship at hospital; basic pay 70 to 80K and with lots of overtime about 100K...he is marrying another doctor exactly same profile...

With both their salaries, they can buy a $1million dollar house...just about median price in Sydney..a big loan to service...

Quite surprised ... that is after a long, long hard slog ...

Still think Sydney is affordable for young people?? I shudder!

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

And that's the entitlement mindset. Why do two young ppl just starting out and getting their first place need to buy a 1mil home?

They don't. Plenty of cheaper alternatives .

wilso8948 likes this.
  19. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

I find this hard to believe/comprehend!? Surely their should be opportunity to earn much more than that! Money you are talking is available in many entry level blue collar jobs

20. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

We are talking affordability here...not entitlement...that is a different thread:)

Sackie likes this.