Sydney housing crisis tv show on tonight

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by R377, 2nd May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Marty McDonald

Marty McDonald Mortgage broker Business Member

I just read that abc article. Disgraceful journalism. An unbalanced opinion piece masquerading as news. LF economists seem to have an agenda (selling doom and gloom books and or short selling banks perhaps) and Denise is a known crack pot who refuses to believe any borrower could possibly be complicit in their own misfortunes.

2. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

I would guess that this is their business strategy.

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I didn't like it from the time they showed how expensive it is to buy into harbour-side suburbs like Point Piper. The audience (me) was positioned to then feel for the hopeless FHBs who cant get into the property market in such places. Palease, since when do FHBs start out in Bennelong and Point Piper? For that matter, when does 99.99% of the population ever buy into such places?

kierank, EN710, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  4. emza

emza Well-Known Member

Funny, I must have missed the part where they interviewed the entitled millennials who want everything now and aren't willing to work for it. The show was 45 minutes long - anyone want to give me a heads up as to the time they appear?

DhuCat likes this.
  5. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

That part was borderline ridiculous! Sensationalist and selective....

6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I stopped watching about a quarter of the way. Good on her having a nice deposit, probably a combination of hers and partners. But I fail to understand why she can't buy a home. I agree with the previous posts. No one starts out being a manager or ceo of a company.. Why is property any different? Maybe not a great analogy but there are jobs around and not enough workers.

kierank and wylie like this.
  7. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

They have $150K, they can easily buy a house, they just don't want what they can afford

kierank and wylie like this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Why should a FHB be able to afford a 3+ bed family home that's not out in the sticks? I couldn't afford a "quality home" for my money as a FHB. I bought a crappy little house with 1 bedroom and the second "bedroom" was about the size of the walk in robe that I'd love, but still don't have. I don't have an ensuite either.

kierank likes this.
  9. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I still don't have an ensuite.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I must lead a sheltered life. I thought everyone bought in those areas first up then sold up and moved to the outer suburbs.

sanj and kierank like this.
  11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My point exactly. We all make sacrifices. I'd love a walk in robe and an ensuite but to do that I'd give up something else.

I've never understood why these people who cannot afford to buy where they want to, don't buy an IP where they can afford it and rent where they want to live. I guess it is not an idea that many of them have even heard, or considered.

Maybe ABC needs to do a show about ways the get on the ladder rather than how it is too hard and they can't buy what they want, where they want to live.

Angel, kierank and mouseburger like this.
  12. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I was car shopping recently and wanted a bog standard McLaren P1, but it's just not affordable. Something is definitely wrong with the system because I'm pretty sure I'm entitled to one.

kierank, joel, wylie and 5 others like this.
  13. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

Again it shows a little arrogance on your behalf. Remember... the renter and FHB are your customers... don't p*ss them off ;)

14. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Indeed they are, they rent my small apartments and buy my small apartments, because those are realistic properties for them to occupy and own.

Not that I mentioned renters and FHBs anyway, I was talking about cars.

Again I feel that I am entitled to a $2 million dollar car even though I only earn $50,000. My friends are on the same salary and are buying Corollas and Golfs, but I don't consider those sufficient for my needs.

Angel, kierank, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  15. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

I agree however the goal posts (or walls) keep getting smaller for FHBs. I'm saying this as a lucky person who has a property to live in in a decent enough area to bring up my kids. Ask any FHB I'm sure they aren't looking for the dream house just to be a less shafted in the property market, they aren't as silly as many posts in this thread have assumed.

16. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Tell me about it! They only made 375 McLaren P1s, and I can't possibly believe that there are 375 other P1 buyers in the world who earn more than me. Owning a P1 is becoming a distant dream for reasons I can't comprehend. My pet turtle deserves a better car than a hatchback.

Wait.... ARE YOU ONE OF THE 375!!!???

Ted Varrick likes this.
  17. Rich W

Rich W Well-Known Member

Pray for the next boom and hop on the wave... I'm sure you'll get one soon.

18. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice! Praying is a great strategy, I'll try that.

I'll probably still occasionally whinge to my friends every cycle though, it should make a P1 appear eventually. (Maybe I'm not whinging the right way...)

19. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Try Marrickville. :)

$95k in 1987.
    $1.25mil today.
    13x.

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    There was a whinger at work the other day saying how unaffordable it is. Buy where you can afford then.

kierank likes this.