Sydney housing crisis tv show on tonight

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by R377, 2nd May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Plutus

Plutus Well-Known Member

Yes I can, they are going about their lives buying starter properties & accepting (hopefully temporary) long commutes & sacrifices, not going on tv shows about it.

That said, if I was in Sydney I would be very bitter about cost of housing. Wages have not kept up at all with housing cost & Australian town planning unfortunately put at unsustainable focus on cars & roads for cars.
    Luckily I'm in QLD and don't have to worry about it anywhere near as much.

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers." - Socrates 469 - 399 B.C.

Skilled_Migrant likes this.
  2. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I don't see many, I see a few, in the sense that they are few enough that it strikes me as impressive when I see them, the general group of youth simply complain that us older folk have screwed it for everyone when in all actuality it's not that different to when I was a kid.

In my own mind, house purchasing was way out of my reach when I was young. I have friends in their 30's who complain that it's not fair how hard it is to rent AND save a deposit yet they choose to live in a flash apartment close to the city. To me, that's not our generation screwing them, thats their own choices screwing them.

Esh, Frazz, wylie and 3 others like this.
  3. leicachamp

leicachamp Well-Known Member

You think after 20 auctions you would learn not to inflame the auction with early bids and certainly if you going to start the bidding you start low, not at above the quoting price. The Cynic in me thinks she was out to make a point and to ensure that, she went out of her way to intentionally lose/sabotage this auction.

If she was serious in winning the auction she should have sat back and if towards the end of the auction the price is within her budget, then bid.

Last edited: 3rd May, 2016
    Ted Varrick, wylie and kierank like this.
  4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I'm with you. I bought a property when interest rates were 17%. For my latest property, my interest rate is 4%. So, why aren't wages cut by 75%, just like the rates!!!

Why do people continually blame everything and everyone? In the early 1970's (45 years ago), my grandfather told me that he felt sorry for me as I would never be able to buy my own house. In the 1980's, my parents said the same thing. Lucky I didn't listen to either of them.

Over the last 35 to 40 years, I have built my property portfolio. It hasn't been easy - it took knowledge, hard work and time.

My philosophy is "Learn the rules and play the game. If they change the rules, change your game". Worked for me over the last 40 years.

5. leicachamp

leicachamp Well-Known Member

Would be interesting to find out what was wage to house price ratios of other major cities with high population growth such as New York in the 30's.

Are there any current major capital cities in the world that is growing in population like Melb and Sydney?

6. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

Yeah but Sydney professional wages are almost double what one would expect in Brisbane or the other cities in Aus.

7. B-Mac

B-Mac Well-Known Member

What a joke of a program.

ABC feeding such an unhealthy mindset in young people.

Imagine they aired a special report which showed property related investment strategies, tips, info resources & motivational material.

Instead, they are breeding a generation of complainers who blame everything on external forces, mainly the government.

I hate the media.

Cactus, wylie, krispy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

So it should be investors complaining that high salaried professionals are keeping them out of the market?

Cactus, wylie and kierank like this.
  9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Yeah, that FHB looked like she was struggling. Heaps of make-up, really fancy clothes, didn't see her car, ...

When I buy property, I rock up in a T-shirt, shorts, thongs, no makeup, ...

A couple of years ago, I helped my son buy his first property. I rocked up in a clapped-out 1986 Corona. You should have seen the look on the REA's face when he got out of his shiny Merc. We got the $500k property post-auction for $40k below our bank valuation. Wish we still had that car.

10. Plucka

Plucka Well-Known Member

Curious to see what property investment plan could start today and enable retirement in only 10 years time. Even in the peak of boom times this would difficult, in today's environment, I can't see it being possible.

11. R377

R377 Well-Known Member

Just saw an advert, they are replaying this show on sat night - four corners

12. Plucka

Plucka Well-Known Member

Wrong

13. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

And you believe if you came in a shiny car, applied makeup and wore fancy clothes, you would have paid more than what you did?
    I don't understand how is that related!

14. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

It may be slightly longer, it depends on a few small factors but 10 years is my goal. It's not that hard when you don't need much passive income :).

15. Plucka

Plucka Well-Known Member

+1, I don't see the point either. And wearing makeup now proves you're not struggling? ROFL.

16. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

Based on what? Got any figures to back this up as I don't think this is even remotely close to correct.

17. nth brisbanite

nth brisbanite Well-Known Member

I was surprised that the FHB had a deposit of $150,000 and still couldn't afford to buy a property in places like Kilsyth where properties are about 600K. If a couple are both working, surely they can afford a loan of around 450K.

I thought that the show was fairly balanced with opinions from a wide range of people.

18. Plucka

Plucka Well-Known Member

Figures? Unless you have many millions to invest today I can't see amassing much growth in only 10 years, especially given the peaking property cycle. I just don't see it.

19. Plucka

Plucka Well-Known Member

No where near double, never has been and never will be. +20% is probably closer the mark, if that.

20. nth brisbanite

nth brisbanite Well-Known Member

In a lot of the professions the differences are negligible. For example, there is not much difference between the pay of teachers, nurses and accountants who are performing similar roles. It may occur in the management positions because there are a lot more public listed companies in Sydney.

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice