Sydney house prices recovering

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by standtall, 18th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. highlighter

highlighter Well-Known Member

But that's irrelevant, median house prices are determined by the whole market. By the volume of actual buyers and what they pay. Prices can fall fast in markets regardless of whether owner occupiers keep buying, even in greater numbers. You are grasping at straws.

2. icic

icic Well-Known Member

@standtall I am not sure how you seperate the owners and investors, I've been tracking the rp data daily and monthly index for both houses and apartments. The trend has not stop sliding. I agree some suburbs seem to stablised, but it's too hard to tell as limited sales sample in individual suburbs makes it very unreliable to judge in the short term. Even if the data is true for the suburbs you are looking at, it does not stop them from falling further down the track when neighbouring suburbs are doing badly and therefore drag it down.

CoreLogic Home Value Index - Daily Indices | CoreLogic

Bola2000 likes this.
  3. AlexV_Sydney

AlexV_Sydney Well-Known Member

... and growth of loan size is not an indicator of price growth. It can be affected by LVR growth, indicating growth of mortgage stress, or refinancing to increase loan size to get a better rate

4. Cia

Cia Well-Known Member

This Drummoyne house was listed with an auction guide of $4 million and sold for $5.8 million at auction yesterday!

53 Dening Street, Drummoyne NSW 2047 - House For Sale | Domain

5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

High end houses are a exception....I saw the house and it was special.....

The overall issue is that Sydney and Melbourne are correcting.....2019 will be a big year...and 2020 might be prime to get in...

6. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

@standtall most suburbs are still falling and more to come

@sash has called this downturn mostly right expect it was too early and I even thought mid 2018 it would pickup as so much demand, and the slow down would start in 2019 but I was wrong.

San2018, BoatArrival and Cheryl like this.
  7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

A lot won't like what you are sayin'

But you are right...we are in for a fair correction. 2019 is going to be very difficult for Sydney and Melbourne....

8. mickyyyy

It is what it is and this is my first cycle so its really interesting it play out!

Still worth getting in QLD or would you recommend other states?

Last edited: 26th Nov, 2018
  9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

It is definitely worth getting in...I would steer well away from lower socio Logan....even parts of Moreton Bay......QLd is quite different.....

mickyyyy likes this.
  10. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

@sash what about areas of Logan LGA with good owner occ appeal? Any suburb suggestions with entry/affordable price points?

11. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Wow, this is spectacular.

53 Dening Street, Drummoyne NSW 2047 - House For Sale | Domain

In the inner south market where I live, similar trends are appearing:

- If property isn't appealing to an owner occupier, then you're getting ~15% of peak prices. Relative bargains out there.

- If property is appealing, your getting peak prices...possibly even 5%+. Suburb records for nice enough homes are still being set. These are rare though and owners who want something special will pay for it (not quite as special as Dening above). One 3x2 with same fundamentals vs another are getting ~50% price differences (1.05-1.1 vs 1.6-1.65) based on it being a bit special. A spectacular Reno on the cheaper property can probably be done for 250k. The property thats selling for 1.1ish has come down from a round 1.25-1.3 in peak markets. The property selling at 1.6-1.65m would've hit 1.55-1.6m in early-mid 2017.

Summary:
    - It's creating some value opportunities for those who can find something thats ugly and covert it into desirable and be creative about it.
    - Its an upgraders/owner occupier market only. Stock catered to other segments or not unique is getting discounted big time.
    - Buyers are out there and have money, they just get to choose more selectively how they allocate it.

Cia likes this.
  12. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep those are okay Rochedale South, Daisy Hill, Underwood, Springwood, etc.

Just not places like Crestmead....Woodridge...Logan Central...Kingston.... a lot of people jumped in these areas...and have made like 50k over 7 years. Thye bought for yields...and now even that is at risk...simply that people followed other people like leemings.....

wilso8948, AndyPandy and Lindsay_W like this.
  13. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Thanks @sash Certainly areas like you said under threat. Big investor activity. Just didn’t think all Logan LGA is tainted with the same brush

14. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Too many people reading people with vested interests stories and jumping in.....too many millenials...thinking the streets are paved with Gold. A lot of them have bought there and promoted other businesses.....

mickyyyy and wilso8948 like this.
  15. icic

icic Well-Known Member

Not saying there no protential though Considering how far has Mt Druid have gone up. But I think there are far safer options like you mentioned. I did consider at one point but decided to go for springwood instead. The like of Kingston, woodridge did seem to attract tennants of the worst kind when I was checking dozens of places. I didn't think I can put up with the risk.

16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Remember Brisbane does not have the same drivers like Sydney and even Melbourne.....one has to select places with more care....

mickyyyy and wilso8948 like this.
  17. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Wait and see for qld

18. mickyyyy

What you expecting for QLD?

19. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

20. Cia

Cia Well-Known Member

Yes agree, if a property isn't appealing then prices won't hold up and you can find examples of good properties performing well in every suburb. Here's another example of a desirable and characterful apartment in Dulwich Hill that has sold for over $70K it's estimate of $780K today for $850!

https://www.realestate.com.au/property/unit-2-225-wardell-rd-dulwich-hill-nsw-2203

It's supply and demand and high demand and low supply means prices stay high... see this Broome St unit in Maroubra hasn't come off much, 2brm selling for $850K today an outstanding price!

Sold 2/61 Broome Street, Maroubra NSW 2035 on 29 Nov 2018 - 2014769296 | Domain

Sold 17 Gilchrist Place, Balmain East $7million in less than 3 weeks:

17 Gilchrist Place, Balmain East 2041 - House for sale

Last edited: 1st Dec, 2018