Sydney house prices, 2009 vs 2019 (Domain article)

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Gockie, 18th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

In this article you can see how starkly different the East prices are compared to the West... This article also appears to show that there was also a preference for people to go North or South rather than West within the last 10 years if house price change is anything to go by. (Btw, I've got nothing against the people living in Western Sydney, many awesome hardworking, salt of the earth, humble, family orientated people live there. It is a huge area though).

The Hills council vs. Blacktown council and Inner West vs. Canterbury/Bankstown council house price differences are very visible in the article and some plausible reasons for the stark differences are given.

Generally speaking, over the 10 years affordable areas tended to remain relatively affordable, and the more expensive remained more expensive with few suburbs jumping from one side of the divide to the other.

Mapping the market: Which Sydney suburbs fall above or below the million-dollar price tag?

Last edited: 18th Sep, 2019
    John_BridgeToBricks likes this.
  2. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Thanks Gockie! That was such an interesting read:)

3. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

Really interesting article.

Some astute observations in there, such as the creeping definition of "inner west" into the Cantebury Bankstown area. I also thought that the Strathfield vs Greenacre neighbouring price discrepancy was interesting, though I didn't see the article give a reason for this.

On the whole, the findings are not that surprising. Ultimately the premium suburbs will always assert their value, particularly in downturns. This is why hot spotting is usually a fruitless exercise, because most times it just means simply buying cheap stock.

4. Gockie

Re: Strathfield vs. Greenacre:
    "....the shared border is defined by council boundaries, the Cooks River, the Hume Highway and freight rail lines."

I'd say these are very solid suburb demarcations, so if you are looking to be in Strathfield you won't look over to Greenacre as a nearby alternative.

5. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

Well yes true, though there are other reasons, not least of which is the absence of a train station in Greenacre.

Gockie likes this.
  6. Gockie

True

7. Blueshoes99

Blueshoes99 Well-Known Member

Read this yesterday and doesn’t surprise me. It’s about emotions and perception. If it’s a primary residence then who cares. You live in it and you are happy to remain in the community with your family and friends. If it’s an investment property then yes you would want to buy in the blue areas because your value will grow much faster than the orange areas.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia