Sydney homeless relocated to 4 star hotel!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by aussieB, 27th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

Yay ! It must feel nice. A 4 star hotel accommodation - paid by tax payers.

Sydney homeless people relocated into 4 star hotel - watch now

I am pained to see my tax money being spent this way. What do Sydneysiders think about this ? Homelessness isn't going away anytime soon. I am told hoards of immigrants swarming the city - another 5 years and this is going to be a mega problem - if the immigrants for some reason go homeless.

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  2. emza

emza Well-Known Member

It's good. The homeless need a home, now they have one while other accommodation is being worked out.

It's disgusting that a country as rich as ours allows homelessness to exist.

We could fix homelessness... but our Government lacks the will.

The really crazy thing is that it's flat-out cheaper to build homes and put homeless people in them than continue the system we have going now.

Homeless people end up in hospital more, they are injured and sick more, they contract long-term incurable diseases more... it all ends up being paid for. It's either spend a bit of money now and house them or spend hundreds of thousands more when they come in with hep C or injuries from sleeping rough.

I'm glad they've been camping out where they have... making homelessness visible is needed to effect change.

paulF and aussieB like this.
  3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

What's homelessness have to do with immigrants? My experience has been nearly all the rough sleepers I run into were local born Australians with mental health issues.

If anything, immigrants seem under-represented as a % of the overall population.

apk likes this.
  4. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

Not in every case. But a simple use case :

Immigrant -> Citizen -> Homeless -> increases the problem equation. Mental health, domestic reasons etc., dont single out if one is an immigrant or indigenous.Although am not sure if not being a citizen and being homeless is the gov's problem. I have no idea what happens to such cases.

Makes sense now ?

Last edited: 27th Jun, 2017
  5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying. It just seems like a really indirect 'cause' (if you can call it that), so that it was odd to bring it up as the sole one in your opening post.

Why not worry about the lack of mental health services, or homeless housing options?

By the way, there's a considerable number of researched sources that say that public money spent on the above gives many times the savings in things such as police resources, public health services, and the like.

wylie likes this.
  6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I wonder how prevalent it is. This is biased from my own experience but the timing from immigrant to citizen is quite a good stretch. Assuming they can get a PR, they need to sign that there'll be no government help for at least 2 years (I signed this year's ago). Now you'll need to be PR for 4 years before becoming a citizen (havent checked if anything changes on the years required before receiving government support). So I'm guessing homeless immigrant that are not Australian citizens are the smaller proportion.

If they can make it here for years without government support, at what point would it completely turn around and become homeless?

7. purplecat

purplecat Well-Known Member

Australia is not rich per se, currently we have a $6.345B debt, yes Billion! So interest expense alone at 5% will cost nearly $87m PER DAY!

We really have to think what, as a nation, we are spending on & maybe should be more fragile.

Another thing I read was 1 of the homeless man there is about have his 12 (Yes 12!!) children, did my tax goes to that choice too?!