Entertainment & Music Sydney Harbour Bridge Climb

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Harry30, 10th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Spending a few days in Sydney next month with the family. Was thinking a doing the bridge climb. Two adults and 2 children was going to be about $1,100 which strikes me as a lot of money.

Maybe we should just walk across the bridge, go to Luna Park, and catch a ferry with the locals.

I did the Harbour Bridge climb pre kids and remember it as being cheaper, although that was some time ago, and the cost was x2 and not x4.

What do people think?

2. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Honestly, it is great but I would struggle with that much.

You get 90% of the view from the top of the south pylon which is only a couple of bucks.

3. Harry30

Ah, nothing beats local knowledge. Get to the south pylon! Thanks.

4. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Totes agree. never done the full climb but wouldn't bother after going up the pylon.

Harry30 likes this.
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

As well, walk across the whole bridge.
    Get two great perspectives.
    Marg

Gockie and Harry30 like this.
  6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yeah that's super expensive -it does seem to have gone up a lot.
    Walking across is lovely. Yes Luna Park. Then ferry to Watson's Bay for fish and chips from Doyles in the park (or restaurant if you prefer). Running out of time to do all that in one day.
    For the piece de resistance, walk from Spit Bridge (leave cars there) to Manly + gelato (then catch the bus back to your cars). Nothing beats it. Home for a good sleep. Next day have lunch at the seafood restaurant at the Spit Bridge or a picnic in the park at Clontarf. That should all come in cheaper than a bridge climb and you don't have to worry about OH&S. :)

Brickbybrick and Sackie like this.
  7. Harry30

Well, that all sounds absolutely terrific. Many thanks. Been in Sydney about 50 times for work, but it is all solo travel and fly in fly out as you do. So much I still don’t know. Nothing beats getting a steer from local people. I love the city and excited about showing it off to the kids who have never been there. Amazing how children who have never visited know about the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge. We are staying at the Intercontinental in Double Bay which sounds expensive, but I wrangled a really cheap internet deal with breakfast thrown in.

WattleIdo likes this.
  8. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

The Bridge Climb was always expensive, but it's pretty good. I send all my Airbnb guests to the South Pylon lookout. It's about $15 from memory and as others have said the view is great.
    I have written a thing called '5 Days in Sydney' that I give the Airbnb guests - I had a run of people coming for short stays which prompted me to write it. My Airbnb guests think it's great.
    Harry, send me an email on Tuesday when I'm in the office next and send you a copy.
    [email protected]

Harry30 likes this.
  9. Harry30

The other thing I will do is spend some travelling on the Sydney ferries, and will avoid the tourist boats. Nothing is more quintessential Sydney than the iconic ferries. When travelling to any big city, I like to mix it up and live like the locals do. If visiting any big city in Europe or Asia, first thing to do is get a transit map and master getting around on the subway. Nothing beats it.

10. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Then catch the 3.45 out to Livo and share a bong with me followed by a large Aussie pizza with egg from Johnny's opposite the station.

11. Harry30

Sounds great. But perhaps I will leave the kids with the wife that afternoon.

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Ferries and south pylon are great ideas :)

13. Harry30

BD32A186-2192-4E61-94AE-47BA1A9E544F.jpeg
    Hey, thought I would update people. First day of 3 day break in Sydney. Left the cold of Melbourne. Today, we all enjoyed magnificent Sydney weather. Staying in Double Bay so headed down the main drag for a coffee with the wife and children (plane landed at 9am). Would you believe it, wife ordered a green coffee. Yes, green. Never seen such a thing before in Melboune. Is this all over Sydney, or just a Double Bay thing?

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Tumeric lattes have been a thing in Melbourne for a while now - they are yellowish?

Is it a kale coffee?

15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

1. You have been lucky with the weather! It was wet on Thursday
    2. I’m a Sydneysider and I’ve never seen green coffee here. Is it matcha?

Harry30 likes this.
  16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Green coffee is made from under-roasted coffee beans. It's a cost saving thing SD the price of electricity has fine thru the roof. :rolleyes:

Harry30 likes this.
  17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Matcha latte - trendy!

Harry30 likes this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.