Sydney Granny Flat Connection to Cable / Phone - Problems

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by See Change, 10th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Having issues with connecting cable / phone for Granny flat , in Ku-ring-Gai . There is optus cable in the street , nbn is meant to be connected really soon .

Optus / telstra are saying they can't do a connection unless there is a registered address , but local council ( ku-ring-gai ) are saying they don't register separate addresses for granny flats .

I assume someone we've talked to doesn't know the full facts , but we're not sure who we need to hassle , and what we need to say to enlighten them from their ignorance ...

Any suggestions ?

Cliff

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Every additional dwelling needs to be registered in the master database and have it's own connection - this is nothing to do with council addresses but are like network addresses. Most of these processes takes 6mths which is the bad news.

I have no idea about cable connections but if it's normal ADSL on the Telstra network then you do this
    Telstra Smart Community

If it's to go on the NBN network then it's this
    New property developments | nbn - Australia's broadband access network

You have to pay as you are the developer and it's around $600 per dwelling

The alternative it to throw your arms up in the air and tell the tenants there is no hardwired solution (technically you don't have to provide) and tell them that their options are any wireless solution such as:
    Telstra - Home wireless broadband plans
    Home Wireless Broadband Plans - Optus

Blueskies likes this.
  3. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

A wireless extender is what we have done.

4. See Change

Ended up getting onto someone in the council , who said , "Oh , I can create a new address " .

SWMBO is about to start round two with Telstra and see if they actually did it.

Cliff

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I don't think that's going to fix it unless you had already done the steps I outlined as part of your build process?

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I had a hassle getting an NBN connection to our GF well after it was built - for a similar reason.

The council already had a separate address, as the GF had assigned bins - but for whatever reason, NBN didn't recognise it until after some hassle.

A separate address is probably needed for bins, water, gas, electricity and the like. I'm not sure why this was a hassle for yourself or myself.

7. See Change

Further info .

SWMBO talked to someone in land title info in local council who said they have the power to create a new address .

They send out list of new addresses to various govt authorities , Australia post , Telstra etc who update their lists . We were told with telstra this can take a couple of weeks .

Will update when this goes through .

Cliff

geoffw likes this.
  8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

9. Property Guts

Property Guts Well-Known Member

arrghh! Similar issue trying to connect NBN and electricity to granny flat...

in hindsight, this is what i should have done.
    2nd dwelling DA went into Shoalhaven Council in NSW, DA approved, but one of the conditions was for either; a separate water meter or a larger 25mm water meter. Either way, pay, pay, pay.
    But if i had done that work at start of development, rather than at the end, there would be formal recognition of 2nd address, right at the start of the project.
    Which would have made it much easier with; 2nd electricity account, 2nd NBN etc. etc.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

NBN will generally install a wallbox externally (depending upon the type of connection that you are getting). Then you need to have suitable cabling into the GF and terminating at tthe wallbox.

If you have a different tenant in the GF, there are no issues splitting the NBN signal for different service providers as the wallbox can handle different carriers (just like having separate phone lines).

11. Property Guts

thanx one mate
    so you mean by - splitting the NBN signal - different accounts can be created for different tenants in house and granny flat?

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Basically that's correct.

Check out the type of NBN you're getting Nbnco.com.au - plug in your address.

Have your cabler run the appropriate cable to the GF.

As there are different technologies, there are different requirements eg FTTN/FTTC uses the standard copper service, HFC uses coax, FTTP uses fibre.

13. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

I had to get a new ‘lead in’ cable installed...1200$ and a pain

14. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

It definitely can be done, but it seems to be a massive PITA. I had during building the lead in cable from wall of grannyflat undergrounded to street, submitted my $600 new development application fee, the street was already NBN connected and it still took 10 months and numerous calls to NBNco to get it completed.

15. Property Guts

Accepted defeat. Got a portable modem at $50 per month. Up and running within hours. Faster than running computer internet off the iphone, does Netflix ok. Only issue was trying open the account in a new company (corporate trustee that owns the property), accepted defeat on that too.
    Anybody do Tik Tok? Reminds me of comedian Carl Barron with his joke on Telstra... he reckons they should change their name to **** Telstra because that's what everybody call them.

Last edited by a moderator: 3rd May, 2020