NSW Sydney Future Growth Areas

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by standtall, 12th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

I know what I'd prefer to drive though. Penrith any day.

Getting to Hornsby from Sydney is a mess......and until there is a faster way to get through this bottleneck then always going to be painful.

datto likes this.
  2. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

You won't have to wait long. Last set of lights will be Kariong when the M1 joins the M2 & Pennant Hills Rd will be a nightmare in the past and best forgotten.

Dean Collins and Gockie like this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

That will be good for my boss who travels from Newcastle to Parramatta for work. But our office will move from Parramatta to elsewhere possibly this year or next year. I doubt that missing link will be completed so soon.

In the meantime it will make living up past Hornsby (eg. Berowra and Asquith etc) more attractive. But Sydney's already boomed and its already not cheap.

So... Central Coast is the next logical place. If its daily its still quite a lot of driving or commuting though. But once driverless cars become commonplace it won't be a bad commute.

4. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Indeed. Where else investors are looking other than Gosford and Woy woy in CC region? Gosford is not cheap and woy woy is most housing

5. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I thought see this population growth chart.
    Snip20170113_13.png

- Population has equally grown in areas like lower north shore and eastern suburbs yet they have faced net job losses.
    - Central Coast has had a significant increase in jobs created and a part of which is definitely local jobs. ATO and a few other Govt. departments moving to Gosford and surrounds could explain some of the change plus Australia now has one of lowest unemployment numbers which means chronic high unemployment in these areas is no longer an issue.
    - Parramatta is benefitting from some of the CBD jobs shifting there in last 3-5 years as per the state govt. plans.

What is hard to explain is the drops in employment in North shore and Eastern suburbs. I think the logical explanation is that baby boomers/recent retirees aren't selling and continue to hold properties because lower interest rates make it easier for them to do so. If they have portions of mortgages left, they are easier to service and reverse mortgages aren't very attractive due to low yields plus an underperforming stock market /superannuation leaves them with no option but hold their property positions which are growing nicely due to shortage of listings.

This trend can't continue though as a declining number of employed people in an area will have an effect on local businesses/retail eventually and a future interest rate hike would result on listings overflow and a price crash.

15-25km ring in Sydney has benefitted from poor transport infrastructure as well in the past and projects like Northconnex or M4 extension will definitely lessen the desirability of suburbs specially on the fringes of this circle like Strathfield, Epping, Pennant Hills etc..

May be in the long term Sydney is shaping up to follow NYC trends. The ring around Manhattan lost considerable value once motorways opened up quick access to parts of New Jersey or Newyork state and perceptions changed in the long run about desirability of those places.

RetireRich101 likes this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Disagree on this comment. Say it's the old folk living in these areas. They don't want jobs and don't have mortgages as they paid off their homes ages ago but they still need food. And I'm sure there's still enough trendy young people around to support the cafes.

Zoolander and standtall like this.
  7. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Old people have all the money. Businesses would do well to target them with products would be good to use as presents for their grandchildren.

Forget the young/middle age parents, they owe the banks and childcare centres too much to have any money left over.

standtall likes this.
  8. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

I think at best we are all just over-intellectualising based on a set of data I am not sure is really all that good.

Channel 9 just ran a story about rising land values in Sydney and according to them Southwest (they mentioned Campbeltown and surrounding suburbs) plus Northwest have led Sydney in terms of per square metre land values while Eastern Suburbs showed the slowest growth at 5%. This is contrary to popular investor beliefs.

I think we are all driven by our biases and limitations - in the end being out there in the long run is probably all thats needed.

Observer likes this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I've been keeping a low profile sash. So low, in fact, that Bob Jane wants to name one of his tyres after me.

Look, I have been keeping rather quiet coz I seem to keep getting into trouble. I think someone out there wants to put me out of action. I haven't been this paranoid since my late teens. I think the cops are after me as well.

No I wasn't involved in any blues that I can remember.

Well on a brighter note the Druitt just keeps going up! If you're lucky you still might be able to pick up a house for 450K, Better hurry lol !

VB King likes this.
  10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

The druie is all yours champ. Good to hear from ya

datto likes this.
  11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

The Cabra yes...the Druie nah. ;)

datto likes this.
  12. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

Eastern suburbs of Sydney have never been employment hubs. Majority of population consists of either the upper class that dont need local employment or back packers that are the waiters and waitresses you meet each time you visit a restaurant there. The place is ridden with european back packers. Apart from the beach life, nothing to be gained from eastern Sydney in the foreseeable future.

13. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Marty wow...you are one of the few people who understand the trends.

You are spot on/..the disposable income of the baby boomers with no school age kids is highest and retirees are a close second. A lot of businesses ignore them and target the young.

It is all about disposable income...one of the reasons why lifestyle suburbs have had a huge increase in disposable income.

That is correct...they are now decentalising employment hubs to all over Sydney.

marty998 likes this.
  14. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

Agree driveless cars will be very very interesting (and something I never thought I'd see in our lifetime....but think will become 50% in the next 10-20 years - eg the resale price on non driverless car will drop dramatically)

What would be far better for Sydney property though is Very Fast Train line from Golburn.....though I don't see it happening and probably one of the reasons why Melbourne could/should overtake Sydney as the biggest state capital within my lifetime.