QLD Sydney folks selling up and moving to Queensland

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by big max, 27th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Would you consider selling up in Sydney and moving to Queensland

1. No Way

43.0%
  2. Maybe

30.4%
  3. Definately

26.6%
  1. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

yeah probably a bit harsh to say siphoning...
    I guess given the way things are going eastern states will probably have to do a bit more carrying again.

Just saw this
    The Great Aussie Recession-Free Run Is Looking Shaky Once Again

WA might not be the main problem in the near future, maybe sell up and live like a king in Bali?

Toon and Ted Varrick like this.
  2. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Would be interesting to understand the prediction for minerals demand. QLD economy is diversifying but mining plays such a big part.

3. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I would agree except decent beaches (although passable) and weather (implications for beaches and life in general).
    Everything else it has.

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Never spent a winter in Melb, I need to trial this

5. big max

big max Well-Known Member

MTR likes this.
  6. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Well if they timed it right they could sell in Sydney at say 1m, wait for the correction and rebut around the 750k mark and have a great holiday in between. All about timing ...

7. MK101

MK101 Well-Known Member

Hi All, have been on the other side of this, being a (now not so young) professional in Sth Qld, tossed up Syd vs Melb and now in Syd (1 yr). My thoughts: As a general global trend it seems jobs are congregating in the financial capitals, and that doesn't look to be stopping any time soon. Generally this is bad for QLD but good for Syd. However you can see how Melb has managed to position itself as the second major player, with eyes on spot 1. I think this is a mix of having a certain population threshold, actively chasing business migration, along with selling their cultural attractions.

So there is a lesson in that for QLD, firstly that they need to reach a certain population threshold to attract people (happening) but they also need to actively attract business migration outside of the unstable resource areas, along with really selling their assets. Where Melb lives it's city culture very well, Brisbane needs to utilise its lifestyle factors better.

I am a beach person so was living in Southern GC and driving to Sth Brisbane every day which is an absolute nightmare. While SE QLD has great lifestyle factors, the Sunshine Coast and Gold Coast are not easily accessible from where the better jobs are. In Sydney a professional can be close to the beach/water but within an easy commute of the city. If you like city culture, in Melb you have that all around the outskirts of the city. I love SE Qld, but until the city jobs tie in with the lifestyle factors the region offers, it's much easier for me to be elsewhere. Of course, if you are retired, it's not so much of an issue.

melbournian likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, that would be an issue for sure, unless suddenly QLD/Brissy went gang busters but I don't see it catching Syd

9. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Have said it before, and will say it again.. People will not move en-mass until the economic balance starts to change .. e.g. Sydney and Melbourne economies contract (it happens; its not different this time), making QLD look relatively more attractive. People start to have the attitude "It's not easy to find work here, I don't have much to lose for making the move, and maybe its time to start a new life". Still a while to go ..

2020vision and MTR like this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

people are moving to Melb on mass because there jobs, more opportunities and property is still significantly cheaper than QLD

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

What I like to normally do is have one IP in each city that's in a very good/posh posy. That IP will normally be a bleeder cashflow wise (initially anyway). Seems a foolhardy investment strategy but well, what can I say, I like options.

I don't have one of these in Melbourne and Perth (yet). Getting one in Melbourne now is a pipe dream but Perth is still affordable.

12. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure I fully agree with this.
    Correct in that top quality applicants will have to fight for positions.. But they will almost certainly not have issues getting the kind of positions they want - longer than Sydney and Mel yes but they will get them.
    It's the less than top quality applicants that have issues, because those jobs are difficult to get -fewer positions (compared to Sydney /Mel) and competition is sky high for them..and that adds as a detractant to widespread pop growth. Not so in Sydney and Mel.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Silly me I should have purchased a lovely little cottage in the inner city Melb, now looking at around $1-1.2M for somewhere in Richmond, Prahan, on very small block

The other option is Brunswick East perhaps ? more bang for money

I did own a double fronted Californian Bungalow in Coburg that I purchased in 2009 for $500K, sold it 2 years later, for $700K, it would be worth at least $1M today?, and could develop the block.

MTR:)

Whitecat likes this.
  14. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yeah I know don't remind me. I always thought the returns were crap in Melbourne...and still are, but it continues to defy logic.

But time normally heals all wounds.

MTR likes this.
  15. Big Lez

Big Lez Well-Known Member

I probably would rather move to Wollongong or Central Coast and commute to Sydney for work before I would even consider moving to QLD.

16. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Job wise it is always Sydney doesn't take a rocket scientist to see where the "higher paying" jobs are and also where the largest ASX corporate HQs are.

upload_2017-5-29_16-57-29.png

couq likes this.
  17. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Png has one on the list. ****..boom inevitable up there...

melbournian likes this.
  18. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Lol U've been calling booms last 2 years i believe

19. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

20. couq

couq Well-Known Member

Grew up in Melbourne and moved to Brisbane for a few years for work. Now back in Melbourne. Have IP's in both states.

Brisbane has great lifestyle and the people are great: outdoors, beaches, nice weather, easy lifestyle, easy to get around traffic wise, affordable housing, jobs more lacking, great people

Melbourne: always growing, more events, cafes food, more hectic, crap weather, house prices getting up there. It is growing with immigration and jobs and don't think it will stop soon.

Sydney: has a bit of both, has the outdoors weather, food and cafes, very rushed and lots of traffic. Jobs and immigration huge.

Immigration in recent years to Melbourne and Sydney are what is making the causing the big difference. With what I am seeing with the boom in the outer suburbs Melbourne H&L being pushed by Chinese and Indian immigrants who come on 457's and student visas and then look to buy a house later in the years. Melbourne is double Brisbane's size which was surprising

June 2016[1]
    population
    Percentage of
    national population

1 Sydney New South Wales 5,005,358 20.74%
    2 Melbourne Victoria 4,641,636 19.24%
    3 Brisbane Queensland 2,349,699 9.74%

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia