QLD Sydney folks selling up and moving to Queensland

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by big max, 27th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Would you consider selling up in Sydney and moving to Queensland

1. No Way

43.0%
  2. Maybe

30.4%
  3. Definately

26.6%
  1. big max

big max Well-Known Member

Last edited: 27th May, 2017
    MikeyBallarat likes this.
  2. big max

Here's what happened last time around in the property cycle.

Sydney folks took an interest in investing in Gold Coast due to the massive price difference and the relative lifestyle benefits. Sydney folks were also able to easily get finance on their existing place, and/or some sold and moved.

At the same time, on the Gold Coast, prices had bottomed up and had started trending upwards. GoldCoaster started re-buying (and/or holding rather than wanting to sell). So local demand, coupled by interstate demand, and suddenly ... boom!

This same trend will likely happen 2018-2020, and when it does it really is self feeding and self perpetuating. Lessons can be learned from history, and can help make us money as investors.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd have a dillema. NSW or Qld in the state of oranges. :confused:

4. WallyB66

WallyB66 Well-Known Member

Comparing current cycle with past is a little bit of apples and oranges. Previously SEQ boom followed Syd cycle however there economies were comparable. Today Qld economy is badly lagging NSW- not only in terms of foreign investment and migration but also in infrastructure projects- for instance Cross river rail in Brisbane was #1 infrastructure project nationally in 2012 but the business case for this still needs work as of last week. Similarly mining projects are stalling due to red tape, lack of rail/ port access, infighting between factions in govt etc... Yeah- not good..:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Whitecat likes this.
  5. big max

Bottom of the market is always better to invest that the top. Huge amount of infrastructure and building going on at Gold Coast. Lots in pipeline for Brisbane. And mining will bounce back again. You will see...

Whitecat likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Perhaps Should also include Melb in this poll, as I am curious, sure some may be doing this

Gypsyblood and Inov8ive like this.
  7. big max

I think Sydney to anywhere else in oz is something feasible. In the past I think Sydney folks believed Sydney was way better than Melbourne. Now though I am sure some acknowledge that the food it great there, roads are easier to drive, and property is cheaper.

But if I had to guess i would think the Sydney to Queensland move is going to be the most commonly contemplated and actually done, both in terms of investment, older folks selling up and retiring for lifestyle reasons, young people establishing families, and increasing those professionals who need not be based in Sydney anymore and seek the benefits of a Queensland lifestyle.

MTR likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I know someone who did this recently sold up in Newport, Syd and purchased in Sunshine coast lifestyle choice.

big max likes this.
  9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

They make poor life choices and we don't need to hear about it

kierank likes this.
  10. big max

Ouch!

Well seriously yes those who are well off and established in Sydney are not likely too move. Those with nice places in Valcluse, Mosman and Point Piper, second house at palm beach and various club memberships etc. It's a circle of people and a bubble lifestyle some will never break away from (and don't get me wrong it's a pretty good life!).

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Love Melb and love Qld, I was thinking perhaps people choose Melb over Qld as there may be better prospects for jobs? Curious

Gypsyblood likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

There will be Syd die hards that consider other States inferior? But I guess for most family comes first? I think? I would not move permanently to another State unless I had family nearby

13. bob shovel

Who are these people moving from syd to melb?? I Know people who have moved to qld but never melb. Unless we're talking melba's :cool:
    And 50billion oldies jump in their caravans and head north from melb for 8 months of the year.
    In summary. .. stats lie, melbs population is not increasing. Atleast state to state. They must be getting foreigners of some kind

14. bob shovel

Is Mr GC showing support to another area other than the goldie?? Well done for trying new things :D

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Millenniums:) Melb

all the old farts are going to Qld

16. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

Melbourne a magnet for Sydneysiders moving south

Swept away by 'awesome' Melbourne, jealous Sydneysider offers to swap homes in letter to The Age

Sydney buyers go south to Melbourne in search of affordability - realestate.com.au

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

18. hungusyd

hungusyd Well-Known Member

colleague sold house, moved to QLD branch 2 years ago. Now desperately want to come back to Sydney but company refused but offered to relocate to Melb. He reluctantly accepted that while waiting to come back to Syd. A costly exercise.

Whitecat likes this.
  19. big max

I've invested in Sydney before. Got out when I thought market had peaked. Too early in hindsight but for me buffet rule #1 is paramount.

Whitecat, Sackie, MTR and 1 other person like this.
  20. WallyB66

WallyB66 Well-Known Member

Worst case scenario I know is a couple who sold house in Syd, bought a fancy caravan and 4WD to pull it around the country- they arrived back home after 18 months and can't get back in market so living at caravan park- a little silly unfortunately..

Whitecat likes this.