NSW Sydney > First IP > Budget 630K

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Edmund93, 14th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Edmund93

Edmund93 New Member

Hi All,

I've recently been looking at properties, mainly old 2/1/1 apartments in the following suburbs:

1. Penshurst
    2. Mortdale
    3. Kogarah
    4. Carlton
    5. Eastlakes
    6. Rockdale

The general price of these properties are around the 560K mark. Essentially this would be my first IP as a FHB. My goal is to hold the property as long as possible, so capital growth is the main driver for my IP as i would like to unlock the equity to build my portfolio onwards.

I just wanted to get your opinions on whether i am looking in the right direction or should i invest that $630K somewhere else, i.e. a house more out west?

2. datageek

datageek Well-Known Member

The following DSR+ scores are for the month ending Sept 2019. DSR+ is the Demand to Supply Ratio+.

1. Penshurst units 63
    2. Mortdale units 64
    3. Kogarah units 62
    4. Carlton units 57
    5. Eastlakes units 60
    6. Rockdale units 61

Earlwood units' DSR+ is 72

The problem with units is that there's always potential for over-supply. Whereas houses require vacant land to suffer from over-supply. So, in built-up areas you're reasonably safe from over-supply of the same type of property if you buy a house on a decent sized block (600sqm or more). But units can spring up anywhere.

For Sydney houses in the same price-point ($650k median or lower), some of the best options to start your research with include:

Blacktown houses 63
    Doonside houses 65
    Sth Penrith houses 66
    Sadlier houses 64