NSW Sydney exodus is looming?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Boss, 12th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

It has nothing much to do with boom. I know friends who live in Gladesville (on rent earlier and now bought their place) but even they face traffic on the way to CBD. Anyone travelling to CBD faces traffic - there's no exception unless you live within CBD. Living close to CBD simply doesn't get rid of traffic. If you don't work in CBD, then you are lucky.

2. virhlpool

Forget about everything else, I love thy $200k job. :)

Pentanol likes this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I walk or unicycle or cycle to the train station. I catch a train. Half hour and I'm in the city. No traffic for me....

krispy likes this.
  4. virhlpool

You're a gem, Gockie. Not every person is cycling-friendly though, in fact most are not. Some people just love motorcars or have their $2M-$3M houses so far from train station that they can't walk to the station, particularly in rain or too hot/cold weather. Thanks to our excellent public infra for parking, free parking lots near station are full by the time they reach station say at 7:30am, even if there exist any and if the commuters were to park there. :(

Boom didn't help the poor non-cyclists, life is as real as that.

Last edited: 14th Mar, 2018
  5. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

Wow, shoot! Yeah it's one of those older walk-up ones that have started getting letterboxed by developers. Portable aircons are probably the best investments we've made for these places! We almost bought something similar (2/1/1) 1.5 years ago on Mosely st which eventually went for $640k so we decided to rent here instead!

6. Toilandtrouble

Toilandtrouble Well-Known Member

Wow you plan to live with a kid in a one bedroom apartment for multiple years?! I'd love to hear how that goes.

jprops likes this.
  7. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

The above means his situation was an issue with him.
    You are blaming Sydney being expensive. It wasnt 40 years ago.

So he had a an kssue with a business or extremely low paying job and didn't want to take on second.

Im just sick of people complaining.

Get a. 2nd job like the older generation snd current did work harder. Make compromise.

A guy who has owned ia Sydney for 40 years had opportunities its not Sydneys fault he failed. Same would have happened in Melbourne.

Your point was Sydney was his issue it's not

Last edited: 15th Mar, 2018
  8. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Grow a heart! Sydney is just a city. People will hate it and people will love it. It doesn’t matter either way to the city itself.

But if what’s told in that story is true than that guy deserves a bit of understanding. Regardless is it was their own stupidity, circumstances, health or any other influence.

Did compassion die in your city? Put yourself in the same position.

Biz likes this.
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Everybody with an able body needs to give cycling a go.... its a good way to get around, more convenient than taking a bus to the trains in many instances (Just riding to trains is just so free and liberating... 1. It costs nothing; 2. You go when you want to, no need to wait). For me, if I drove there's no real point because I'd only get half way to the station then need to walk - there's no parking near the station.

Added bonus of cycling is the rider gets fresh air and some exercise. Problem with most Australians is that they eat too much for the amount of exercise they do. Women have gained something like 2 dress sizes over what a normal women wore 50 years ago. Its probably the same or worse for men (maybe not the dress part, but you know what I mean).
    Plus I like having strong legs... good for all the other activities I do. No problem to go canyoning, or playing volleyball. Do all the activities and they help each other. Especially bicycle hill climbs. :)

Mel_C likes this.
  10. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Not sure where you read that part from.

He's living within his means. He's smart - he's planned ahead. Save money now so that he can buy something bigger later when kids come.

I daresay most people who complain that sydney is too expensive blah blah are ones that don't plan and prefer to blame others when things don't go their way.

Angel likes this.
  11. Toilandtrouble

Nek...I think you are jumping to conclusions. I just have a newborn and know that ideas and reality often clash. Getting them to sleep sometimes is like sneaking around a sleeping Lion enclosure. Everything is manageable and if you can do it in a 1 bed or even a tent more power to you. I'll just be interested to hear about the experience!

jprops likes this.
  12. Toilandtrouble

Big fan of cycling and the sneaky health+financial benefits it can provide. I always find it a challenge to be well dressed at work and cycle though.

13. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Groceries are virtually the same, not double the cost - I'm pretty sure I'd notice if they were. I also don't own a car.

I'm not sure if this is referring to me but if you didn't notice from my previous posts in this thread, I'm not renting. Saved the deposit for my PPOR while making a 55k graduate salary with my husband still in uni and working part-time. I was paying rent too so I know about making sacrifices. Almost all of Sydney is objectively beyond that level for most young people (i.e. people who don't have CG from previous purchases to leverage).

I lived in Melbourne for 25 years. I actually think that Melbourne is better set up for living in the outer (cheaper) suburbs than Sydney as the infrastructure is far better. In many respects, it seems like there was no foresight in developing this in Sydney as noone had the thought that the city would change or grow over time.

Angel and TAJ like this.
  14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Congrats on the newborn... they can be painful, but seeing them smile is totally worth it. :)
    The youngest one is nearly 2, but is a light sleeper... gotta sneak around all the time.

But i agree, 1 bedroom extremely difficult. For me and my wife, we scrounged and saved earlier before kids so that we could avoid this. I'm guessing @Pentanol is doing the same.

My ahah moment was when i observed pregnant women inspecting properties and how difficult it was navigating stairs etc... and i said to my wife "I never want you to go through that".

Toilandtrouble likes this.
  15. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Hahaha you really are clueless. Who was complaining? Who said he ‘failed?’ You say ‘make compromise’ - to me compromising having a fun and relaxed life and working ridiculous hours and sitting in traffic to stay in Sydney is absolute madness.

He wasn’t in any way complaining. You know what they say about assuming? Did he have an issue with his low paying job? No he loved it. My point was is it really worth taking on a massive loan or ‘taking a second job’ as you suggested to stay in Sydney and busting your ass your whole life? He did that and all of his plans that he put off for retirement never eventuated.

I guess it comes down to the old saying do you live to work or work to live. By suggesting taking on a second job I can see your priorities. My priorities and my families are to live comfortably, spend quality time together and travel as much as we can. That’s not whinging about Sydney that’s choosing to live a certain lifestyle. If you or other people want to work a 50 hour week for the rest of Your life and take on a massive mortgage good luck to you. I think it’s madness but each to their own!

2FAST4U, Angel and jprops like this.
  16. Toilandtrouble

Yeah it is funny the things you learn about properties after having kids. I think it makes you a better property investor!

neK likes this.
  17. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Exactly where in your response to ME did you quote $350 a week rent. Your reply was to Cimbom. I think it is you who needs to read correctly!
    Your comment that $350 a week rent is nothing, wreaks of arrogance. To some that is a considerable amount of money, but hey, their wives aren't Doctors.
    Tell me this, if Sydney is so wonderful then why come every available opportunity (school holidays, Easter, long weekends) there is a mass exodus of city slickers in their 4WD's that have never been off road (probably only used to drop the kiddies off to their private school) to every seaside town both north and south of the ********. If it was so magical everybody would stay put...... wish they would!

18. MyDarlinghurst

MyDarlinghurst Well-Known Member

One of the worst things about Sydney City is those dreaded cyclists !!!

At one stage I was forced to send a bill to Sydney Council after I purchased a fluorescent orange vest to walk the footpaths in.:eek:

Hyde Park is particularly bad in the late afternoons for speeding cyclists who seem to be completely oblivious of the walking pedestrians.

I feel like I should be apologising for being in their way as they speed and dodge around walking people.

The worst ones ignore the Oxford Street red lights and "walk" signs and keep riding thru like it's their God given right And heaven forbid if you were to walk in front of them !

Of course I can never work out why , when on Oxford street Darlinghurst you have special "bike lanes" , why oh why must you ride that dangerous contraption on the footpath ???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Should I then walk in the bike lane?

19. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

If you really want to play that game, I never quoted $550 to you either, I was saying you can easily find houses for rent around that price not too far from Sydney.

If you can't afford $350 a week then you would have trouble renting in Tassie even. Also i doubt you could rent in any of the big capital cities for that low and if you are renting in Sydney I challenge you to find a cheaper rental this close to Sydney. Fyi i earn just as much as my wife and plus I really don't see it as a big deal. Job stability for doctors is low as they're on contract and need to do yearly interviews and they have minimal negotiation for salary as they're paid a certain amount for years of experience. Also like most things, as long as you work hard you can get any degree you want even medicine, too many people don't work hard enough. Asians don't havent any genetic predopredisposthat makes them smarter than the general population. Pretty any non gov jobs you have better negotiating power.

Fyi I wasnt being arrogant about it, to the contrary I was saying that if you're willing to sacrifice a little like I did, you too can be saving up quickly to buy that next IP or reducing LVR quickly to build up that passive income. For a fair bit of inconvenience I've chosen to manage and clean my Airbnb IP. As a result yield went from around 4.5% to >8%. We sleep on a air bed (done so since august, wife since Jan 17), no dining table, sofas or entertainment areas. We are still happy and it requires minimal maintenance and any extra income is put in offset account. A few years of sacrifice is setting us up for life.

Regarding all these people leaving Sydney in droves during holidays I would had thought that was obvious. It's the only time you can go somewhere on holidays so why not go somewhere they you haven't been before to visit? If you really hate it you would find a job elsewhere. I find people from Asia more happy with living in Sydney than people who grew up here. My mum lived in a two bedroom apartment in HK with five other family members so may be this is why. A bunk bed in each room and two couch/bed in the living room. @Toilandtrouble I think this answers you question about how I'm Gunna do it.

It's also possible to work 9-5pm and earn decent wages in Sydney as both me and my wife (yes I know and she's a dr) does this, hell even my boss leaves at 430pm after starting at 8. There are more and more jobs that are trying to work around what the Millennials want and this is great for workers :)

Last edited: 17th Mar, 2018
    neK likes this.
  20. Toilandtrouble

Fair enough, in comparison to HK yes no problem. I am comparing to Australian lifestyle, expectations and parenthood.