Sydney Duplex Builder

Discussion in 'Development' started by alexm, 2nd Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

2. MagicInSydney

MagicInSydney Member

I'm in the same boat as you are. Please, if anyone can recommend a Duplex builder at a good price, let us know

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd suggest Metricon but what's your budget/market?

4. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

We looked at Lily Homes and Metricon, very similar with similar reviews, they were also the two recommended by our real estate agent if we are time poor and not going to Project manage the build ourselves as much as a private builder.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd be leaning towards Metricon on room sizes and layout but Lily probably gives more bang for the buck.

You can only grill both builders to get a product that you're satisfied with and compare like with like.

From a marketing perspective, 4 beds is great but without a second living area + alfresco it becomes a little less desirable. So each has it's own pros and cons.

6. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

We use Metricon for our H&L projects. We're exploring their multi-res offering for a larger project that i'm putting together. Will also explore their dualocc options for a site that's just come to us.

Thanks to @A.Butler for the details. I'm going to call them.

7. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Have used them in Sydney or elsewhere ?

8. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Sydney and surrounds. That's where I do my projects.

9. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

How involved are you in the projects ? Ie do they do most of the project management ? Have you done any dual occupations with them ?

10. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Our builders project manage the build's however I obviously manage site selection, financing, specifications etc. We've not used Metricon for dualocc's/multi's but we're exploring their offering (along with other builders as well) for sites that we have.

11. TML

TML Well-Known Member

@alexm - from experience the unexpected costs are usually from the site related costs. The construction of the house from slab up are easier to estimate IMHO.

Is your land flat, slope to the rear or front? stormwater easement connection? sewage location?

Iam currently doing a knock down re-build and spent more than 6 months talking to project builders.

Last edited: 3rd Aug, 2016
  12. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

@TML , you're spot on - the unexpected costs (from my experience) are below the surface. Once the slab is on then it's way more predictable.

I've got a number of lots that i'm looking at doing dualocc's. The first one in particular is relatively flat (approx 300mm of fall within the building envelope). Stormwater and sewer are all accessible.

13. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

I spent the good part of last year and parts of this year, researching project homes, speaking to them, going through their contract etc and ended up working with a private builder for my duplex build.

Generally speaking all project home builders (in particular large ones) are well thought through establishments designed to separate people from their money. From their sales dept to legal to site foreman and so on is designed to offer a Mcdonalds service in the home industry.

It is not necessarily bad to build with a project home builder but the main reason (or perhaps the only reason) you want to do this is to save money. That money can range from several tens of thousands to sometimes a hundred or so thousand dollars as opposed to small to medium sized builders that do not operate in a project home format.

They have a number of designs and their primary target market are those people who are either short on information or time or both and they can then grab one of their own designs and put it on that person's land and charge money for it. If they can't do that, then they are simply not interested.

markg88 likes this.
  14. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

@Tenex , what private builder(s) did you end up using?

markg88 likes this.
  15. Dark Phoenix

Dark Phoenix Well-Known Member

Hi Alexm,

Just wondering if you went ahead with the duplex project? IF so, do you mind sharing the total cost and the experience? Thank you in advance!

Cheers,

DP

16. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

@Dark Phoenix , interesting that you ask. Today we’re turning dirt on this project however despite getting dualocc approval for the site in question, i’ve decided to build a single PPOR dwelling instead. This site is in a beachfront location so a single dwelling fits in better.