NSW Sydney CBD Meetup No. 6 - Thursday 6th April

Discussion in 'Networking & Meetups' started by Taku Ekanayake, 12th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

thought so. and it's not about Origin.

2. Wandercro

Wandercro Well-Known Member

Thanks for organising another great night. Had a mate from work come and he loved it, wants to come again.

Taku Ekanayake likes this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

:confused:

o_O

:p

Danny370z, sash, Gockie and 1 other person like this.
  4. Le Phénix

Le Phénix Member

The big topic last night was whether the Blues will break the Maroon stranglehold if Cronk retires at season's end :p

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Hmmmm.......misquoted I see.

Let me re-phrase. MOST things are a competition......but numbers at meetups are not.

Because so many people work in the city, there's always going to be good numbers there, and that's great. Wenty also usually gets good numbers, because, geographically it's quite central, and easy to get to. Some people go to all the meetups, some pick the ones that are closest to them, and that's fine.

Either way, no matter which ones you go to, they're sure to be a great night out. If we were closer to the city, we'd head to those ones as well.

RetireRich101 likes this.
  6. Taku Ekanayake

Taku Ekanayake Well-Known Member

lol we got one of our best turn outs to date so maybe the call outs aren't needed. I'll try call you out specifically for the Next one!

great seeing you too pal @David Shih !

@Le Phénix good to catch up again and glad it was valuable!

yes and also outskirts of Melbourne was on top of a lot of ppl minds @larrylarry

7. Taku Ekanayake

Lol @sash thanks mate!

thanks @skater much appreciated

@Wandercro very good to hear! Catch you both at the next one

8. Taku Ekanayake

Wrapping up last nights meetup - it was very encouraging to see the property chatters in strong form - we had over 45 ppl attend which was more than the Feb meetup.

Even amidst all the negative media around affordability, property bubble talk, constraints around borrowing, and interest rate rises - investors were obviously still keen to learn and mingle.

Thanks to everyone who came down! Just keep moving forward

9. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Though I thought this was more of appropriate quote...

Wenty meet up last month...

Shark hotel meet up this month..

Is this a barometer tellin Sydney is booming or tanking? I have NFI either...

10. Danny370z

Danny370z Well-Known Member

11. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I wouldn't read too much into it.

Different demographic - Sharks is in the city and has always attracted a very different crowd - mostly people stopping in after work on their way home and typically a younger crowd. They stay for a few hours and then head home - the last of us left before 11pm last night.

Wenty's you have to actually drive to (takes me up to 90 minutes to get there in peak traffic :eek: ) and people tend to stay later - after we get kicked out of the dining area, we relocate to the cafe area and the last of us often don't leave until somewhere close to 1am or even later.

Even with all the doom and gloom in the media, we've just had our busiest month ever on PropertyChat for visitor numbers / pageviews, by a pretty big margin.

When I drive along the M2 to get to Wenty's all of the billboards have something property related on them.

At town hall train station last night on the way home from Sharks, there were multiple billboards with property related adverts on them

2017-04-06 23.14.18.jpg

I think right now we've got a combination of media both reporting on the boom driving it up and generating strong FOMO, while at the same time the fear-mongering about booms and APRA / ASIC changes plus the regular negative gearing articles (and trusts - they're on the trust bandwagon again ... it must be a boom!!). The market is very confused.

It's either going to go ballistic into real bubble territory (in which case, hang on - it's going to get really bumpy!), or else the negativity is going to win and the market will ease off. Either way, I think now is a very good time for caution in the Sydney market. It's being purely driven by fear (in both directions).

But I don't think that caution necessarily applies to other markets (except perhaps Melbourne), I certainly don't think Adelaide is overpriced (don't know enough about Brisbane to comment) - although whether those other markets will actually benefit from the natural flow on from a strong Sydney market, or the growth will be stifled by finance restrictions is difficult to know.

12. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member Business Member

nice one @Simon Hampel , didn't know you can read Mandarin, surprise. ;)

13. Invest_noob

Invest_noob Well-Known Member

Meet up in May?

14. Taku Ekanayake

Hi @Invest_noob no meet up in May unfortunately. Next one will be on Thursday 8th June. Will post up over the weekend!

Invest_noob likes this.
  15. sash

sash Well-Known Member

you lazy sod....and I was so looking forward to one in May.....I prefer this venue to Wenty..now....

16. Taku Ekanayake

Lol @sash i'm torn whether to make this a monthly or bimonthly meetup. Last one was rock solid probably our highest attended meetup so may have to make this monthly

45degree and Invest_noob like this.
  17. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes would suggest that......I am sure it will pay off! ;)

The recent move of the Wenty meet-up to Tuesday is not good as a lot can't make..it...so it all up to you mate! Make it happen...you da man!

Last edited: 6th May, 2017
  18. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

You can always post a date and not commit to going........

Or ask someone else to do it........

Invest_noob and Gockie like this.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.