NSW Sydney : Buying in campbelltown council : Bow Bowing

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by melrd, 4th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. melrd

melrd Member

Hi, we are interested in a property in Bow Bowing in Campbelltown council for about a 1M

We do not know much about this suburb and council and would like to get opinions

Have got feedback that the parks are not well maintained as compared to other councils. There may not be too much focus on residential areas development.

Would want to know what is the experience living in this area with a young family in terms of location, security , school quality. Please share your feedback

Cheers

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have you checked out the area?

3. melrd

melrd Member

Have checked it out. We are not local so it is hard.
    Comparing with where we live (ryde)we are finding the school rating not that great
    Only option is going for private catholic or christian school.
    The parks are not well maintained and developed for kids

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

When you say, you've checked it out, have you actually been there, and driven around the streets? How have you compared schools, and what initially made you think of Bow Bowing in the first place?

5. melrd

melrd Member

Hi
    Given the situation we did drive around a bit once but could not do much
    I found the surrounding to be peaceful and looking at the newer homes small plots this is unique
    Some observations that are bothering me since this is PPOR with 2 young kids. School and secure locality is a priority for us

1. Public school wise i see the rating which does not stand well in Sydney standards.( source is bettereducation school ranking)
    2. The playgrounds arent there i am comparing with what i would see in the newer areas
    3. I would probably have to look ar private school increasing my travel time and also costs to get into a better rated school

The asking price for the house is 1.03. The median price is low in this area. So is it overpriced
    Would like to get some feedback

6. rksing

rksing Well-Known Member

@melrd guess it comes down to what your threshold/benchmark and view is.
    My wife is from the area, lived and grow up in St Andrews (suburb across from Bow Bowing) from the age of 2 and left after we got married. I also lived in St Andrews for 2-3 years when I first moved to Sydney. From my limited experience and based on by wife and brother in-law's experiences wont say security was much of an issue. Education-wise they both went to the local public primary school, then to Macquarie fields for high school (part selective - or something - I am from Canberra don't understand the NSW education system). Regarding playgrounds, very limited input from me, but when I take the kids (4 and 2 yrs) to visit the in-laws they seen to enjoy working around the suburb and dropping by each playground they come across.
    The median price could through you off a bit. The $1.03m home must be one of the large 'McMansion' type homes, and not your basic 3x1x1, which now seem to go for north of $650k. Now that I think about it wife's uncle lives in a one of the larger homes in Bow Bowing (pretty nice) - haven't heard him mention any issues (he has been in and around the area for almost 30 years)

melrd likes this.
  7. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

You obviously don't like Bow Bowing, and it wouldn't be my first choice either, so move on and look elsewhere.
    Try Macquarie Links, Edmonson Park or Glen Alpine.

8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yep, if it's only the price that you like, and not the suburb, pick somewhere else.

9. melrd

melrd Member

Thank you @rksing
    I think it is the unknown that was bothering us. We are used to live in Ryde council and this will be our first experience in a free standing home
    Our priority is good schools fir kids and that can be a bit subjective
    We have started enquiring around and seems like the private schools are also having a catchment area
    Thanks for your input
    It definitely helped

10. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Private schools have a catchment area?

11. melrd

melrd Member

Yes they do apparently. Beacuse they are so many people applying and they need to narrow it down
    This is after speaking to the catholic school in Edmonston park

12. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Mt Carmel is just across form Bow Bowing and Edmonson pk, but you will find a catchment area and a waiting list for established cath. schools.
    There's a few new ones in the area too.

melrd likes this.