Sydney Based Growth Portfolio

Discussion in 'Investor Stories & Showcase' started by John_BridgeToBricks, 31st May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

John you had a lovely run in Syd recently riding that boom...good for you

2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Kudo for acknowledging wife and the out-laws.

MTR likes this.
  3. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Great story, start young and keep going!

4. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Surprised ????
    What do you mean?

5. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

1: Is the yields net yields after expenses ?
    2: When you say growth do you mean income growth or asset growth ?
    3: is the reason why you say the growth is in the second ten years due to the ten year rent rent reviews?
    4: At 8pc net yield at 4pc cost .Fifty percent of the net rent is profit

6. TapTap

TapTap Well-Known Member

That is awesome John.
    I heard the podcast a few days ago, inspirational stuff and you sound like a top bloke.
    Best of luck with the business

David_SYD likes this.
  7. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

Thanks Beano,

1. Yield is gross.

2. I mean both asset growth and income growth. The beauty of growth assets is that the rent doubles every 10 years or so as well. This is an often missed part of the "growth" story - it is the growing income stream that is just as compelling as the growing capital gain. This is why I said on the podcast, that growth assets become yielding assets if you hold on to them.

3. The arithmetic on growth assets means that they go exponential the longer you hold them. It is true that there is some pain in the first two years of every purchase that we have made, particularly in the early years. However it becomes easier the longer we hold them. The second 10 years is when the money is made, based on the magic of compounding.

4. True, but zero income on our PPR of course.

Samj40004 likes this.
  8. John_BridgeToBricks

Thank you TapTap. Appreciated.

9. John_BridgeToBricks

Thanks Inertia, great question.

The economics of good buy and hold property investing hasn't really changed. What has changed is the APRA regulation (which you correctly point out).

For someone starting out now, the aim would still be to buy as much capital city property as possible, as quickly as your servicing will allow.

My suggestion would be to focus on middle-ring capital city properties, and then when servicing starts to get difficult, either a) wait it out, or b) blend in some yield.

In my experience, yield is just for portfolio re-balancing, not for wealth creation (with some exceptions with respect to commercial property).

Note: everyone's circumstances are different, and everyone starts their property journey at a different age. I acknowledge that older investors starting out may require a yield bias, and this is a perfectly sound strategy.

In many ways, the speed in which you accumulate properties is just as important as the properties that you select. I see lots of investors either (a) procrastinate, or conversely (b) tinker with their portfolios too much.

Just my opinion.

Shire86, Codie and inertia like this.
  10. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

1: so net on the investment properties would average 4pc (8+4=average 6 less 2% cost would be 4% net)
    4: So the $10m includes your PPR eg $9.5m investment $.5m PPR

11. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

500k Sydney ppor? He don't look like the mount druitt type :p

Shire86, TapTap, Lacrim and 2 others like this.
  12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Definitely won't be surprised . Most property investors in Australia will never get close to a 10m asset base.

Shire86 likes this.
  13. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

14. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Hi John,
    Would you mind explaining a little about what you mean by the real money is made in the second 10yr period?

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

16. John_BridgeToBricks

Thanks Anthony.

As we know, property investing is about compounding. Property in most of the capital cities tends to double every 7-10 years. So the reason why the second 10 year period is the most important, is because the growth is compounding off a base that has already doubled. The growth in your wealth begins to go exponential in this time period.

The other reason why this is such a profitable time in the "hold" period, is: again, because the base has doubled already, periods of low % growth can still provide substantial $ returns during this time.

Hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to let me know if you would like me to expand on anything further.

Kind regards,
    John

Anthony Brew likes this.
  17. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Personally I feel its a mistake to calculate yield on purchase price, instead of current asset value. It masks opportunity cost.

Jamesaurus likes this.
  18. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

I calculate two yields, one based on original purchase price and all related expenses for cash flow, the other based on the current market value for investment quality assessment or opportunity cost. For the latter one, if you consider selling it and buy another one, then selling cost including CGT need to be taken into account.

Beano likes this.
  19. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Yield has nothing to do with current asset value - it is purely a measure of (gross) return on capital outlaid for comparison purposes of income generation.

You use yield to compare two potential purchases to determine how much they are going to cost you to hold (or ideally, how much cashflow they will generate).

Even then, for cashflow positive investments, Cash on Cash return is a much better measure (ie how soon will you get your capital back).

I fail to see how yield based on current asset value (presumably using current rental return) is in any way meaningful? Current asset value is not even a meaningful number - except perhaps for determining how much equity the bank may let you extract for further capital purchases. It certainly has nothing to do with the income generating capabilities of the asset.

20. GetRIDof5CENTpiece

GetRIDof5CENTpiece Well-Known Member

I tend to agree. My very first property has a yield of ~3% when looking at today's value VS ~5.5% if compared to original purchase price in 2009.